endless soloing?

• Members

It is both knowledge and practice as best as I can tell (not a jazz solo master by any means myself). What I have found is that while practicing it is good to improvise over everything. It may sound like guitar masturbation but there is a point to the exercise - to explore the possibilities and apply what you know. Otherwise, why do we continually request chord progressions? To apply what we know over them to see what we can do and accomplish (and improve).

I'd say that the best approach is to find a teacher to guide you. It will be faster than randomly grasping yourself - unless you are really dedicated. For me, I'm in no position to have a teacher (though I did for a short stint and miss it already!) so I must randomly grasp. Nonetheless, what I learned from before and with this teacher has improved my abilities.

I'll stop here and let the experts explain. :)

• Members

But ... to follow that example ... the number of great authors who just poured out a book without reading lots and lots beforehand is probably "few-if-any".

Books are the result of lots of typing and tearing up and retyping.

I think long solos probably are as well. You might think you're hearing lots of stuff miraculously made up on the spot, but really they are playing lots of phrases etc that they've honed many times before. They've done it lots, so they have lots to call on. The rare time when you hear a bum note: that's the time when they decided to try something totally new...

(just guessing)

GaJ

• Members

yeah, but everybody listens to music. you can't avoid it. it's everywhere.

and yes, you have to learn to play your instrument, just like you have to learn to read and write, and that's not always easy, but once you do that, it's just a matter of creating, just like it is for a writer or a painter or any other endeavor that's more than just paint-by-numbers.

• Members

lots of people can write books on blank paper.

there's this spongey thing between your ears that produces ideas.

I'd compare improvisation more to conversation than writing.

Some people can talk for a long time and still remain interesting.

Some run out of ideas quickly.

Some just start repeating themselves and become boring.

Why?

Or...

Two people can tell the same joke and yet only one of them may be funny. Why?

Answer those questions and you'll also have your answer for your music improvisation question.

• Members

Lots of jazz guys can solo on and on over the same chord progression and keep it interesting. how do they do it? if anyone here has gotten to that point how did you get there?

Jazz contains several repetitive chord progressions, most of which are some variation of 1-6-2-5. They've learned a bunch of licks to play over them.

Time consuming, but once you have learned them you can use them in your "improvising".

Simple but not easy.

Using the blues as an example, learn about ten 12-bar blues solos. Be able to transpose them to the most common blues keys.

Now you can wank for 12 choruses and amaze people.

"How does he do that?" :eek:

You didn't think John Mayer was making that stuff up did you?

• Members

the jazz i like best has collective improvisation. people play WITH each other, it's not some guy from youtube running harmonic minor scales for 8 minutes.

listen to the miles davis live recordings with the hancock/shorter/williams/carter group for some of the best examples

cTfBpKzu6XA

not the greatest quality, but try to hear how the drums and soloist play off each other, phrases, note density, intensity, blablabla

listen to how wayne plays ideas, revisits them, develops them...

my advice is to go play music with people.

• Members

my advice is to go play music with people.

This excellent piece of advice will actually improve every single area of your playing. There is nothing that focuses the mind more than other people you enjoy playing with, telling you that you suck.

• Members

Blues is much better tackled on your own. Think sad, pain, anguish - you know. Play a simple blue lick on the I chord. Then you move it up to the IV chord. Then if you don't know any turns just move up to the V chord with the same lick. Back to one again.
Avoid the major third of the chord you're on for now. Repeat as you feel.

• Members

I dont know too much about blues. what is a good 12 bar blues solo to learn?

Here's BB King tabs:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/bb_king_tabs.htm

Some other blues artists* of note you can gets tabs for free at the same place...

Johnny Winter

Buddy Guy

Albert King

SRV

Joe Bonamassa

Learn a few solos and then see if you can make up your own by changing the ones you know up.

Memorize the solos you learn and transpose them to a few different keys.

*I assume you do not mean jazz blues.

• Members

I play saxophone too, and I find when I'm soloing I kind of lose myself. I practice the progressions and make up a bunch of licks beforehand, and know the scales really well, but once I'm on stage I just kind of forget it all, and play whatever I think will work. A lot of the time I can just go on forever. I once played with this really amazing bassist who was 20 years older than me, and when he solo'd, you could see him and sometimes even hear him humming what he was going to play next to himself. It was pretty amazing seeing someone with no barrier between their mind and their instrument.

• Members

I once played with this really amazing bassist who was 20 years older than me, and when he solo'd, you could see him and sometimes even hear him humming what he was going to play next to himself. It was pretty amazing seeing someone with no barrier between their mind and their instrument.

One of my long-term goals is to improvise like this bassist you describe - hear something in my head, play it immediately.

This is why, in my own practice, I place so much emphasis on ear training, making up lines in my head, then playing them on the instrument.

• Members
I think burninator's sig pretty much said it all, about this one...

Emmm... He asked for a 12-bar-blues solo, the solo itself isn't bluesy,
but it is played on a 12-bar-blues progression. On the other hand my hearing
pretty much sucks so those of you with good hearing are more than welcome
to correct me.
:)

• Members

Blues is much meliorate tackled on your own. Think sad, pain, anguish - you know. Play a simple chromatic lick on the I chord. Then you advise it up to the IV chord. Then if you don't undergo any turns just advise up to the V chord with the same lick. Back to one again.

Archived