The JonFinn Jam!

• Members
I hope to take a 2nd try at this epic BT. Maybe a "as many notes nobody plays like this cut;), as this one is syrupy.

Thanks for listens/comments:cool:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9724386

:wave:

**edit**

My friend just loaned me his sennheiser e609? so I was anxious to try it and took another run. Link is to the NEW one.

Hope nobody listened, don't want to overpost:facepalm:

I managed to go the full 7+ min.
:eek:
Not that that is a good thing. You be the judge, tho I can't imagine that many will listen all thru.

..even tho there is the hidden message but..
;)

Ok enough of me already.

How does the tone sound to you?

That's great Benzem. Very flowing and rich. :thu:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Benzem: I like the tone, and I like your attitude on this..but I have heard your bends/vibrato sound more "in" than in a couple of places on this take. Some very nice phrases nonetheless!..:thu:

Calum: Same thing really..great attitude and some very nice phrasing which I think would work better with more attention to the bends/vibrato..there was one in particular at around 0.27 that was absolutely spot on with the pitch and speed of the vibrato..more of that!

Sorry if I seem a bit negative to the both of you!..just trying to be constructive..there's plenty of good stuff in both your takes..I think these type of slow ballads with a fair few chords can really expose certain areas..I certainly found it difficult to get something down and wasn't that happy with mine. Well done for having a go! :thu:

• Members
Benzem: I like the tone, and I like your attitude on this..but I have heard your bends/vibrato sound more "in" than in a couple of places on this take. Some very nice phrases nonetheless!..
:thu:

Calum: Same thing really..great attitude and some very nice phrasing which I think would work better with more attention to the bends/vibrato..there was one in particular at around 0.27 that was
absolutely
spot on with the pitch and speed of the vibrato..more of that!

Sorry if I seem a bit negative to the both of you!..just trying to be constructive..there's
plenty
of good stuff in both your takes..I think these type of slow ballads with a fair few chords can really expose certain areas..I certainly found it difficult to get something down and wasn't that happy with mine. Well done for having a go!

Cheers Mo. I always like to get some criticism on these things. Listening to mine again, I'm thinking less notes, practice those bends and vibrato.

• Members

Benzem & Calum nice takes both. My comments almost exactly mirror Mo's.

Benzem mostly good stuff. Let me address the stuff I think you need to work on. In the early part of this take you have some very pitchy bends. You seem to settle in after a bit and it gets much better. I do enjoy your bendy thing but it takes a solid ear and constant vigilance to pull it off. Let it first be said in a backing like this with some of the chord movement it is quite easy to get "caught" holding one bent note. It may not always successfully work during the second half of this particular progression. I would recommend you get very acquainted with the chord changes before each solo. This will help you determine when you can hold a note across the change - it wont always work. Look for common notes through the changes and stress those.

Calum - some great spots.. some less than great spots. Like all of us! I would recommend you focus on doing less in general. Meaning find phrases of 3 or 4 notes and make musical phrases with them. Try to develop a theme during your improv and create variations. Think vibrato, slides, slurs, hammers and pulls. DO more with less. I think you will make some more actual music this way. Try to hear a phrase and dont be afraid to leave some space for the solo to breath (I struggle with this still). Listen to some Miles Davis! He was THE MASTER at this.

Like I said - lots of good! So please dont take any of this as a rip.

Cheers.

P.S. - Calum Bath was one of my favourite spots in England. Beautiful city.

• Members

Hey thanks guys for taking time to listen and comment. Special thanks to Jeremy for your input. You really hit the nail on the progression catching me off guard, or mid bend.

And I totally agree. Pitchy and tedious(w/moments of cool), imo. I can do so much better.

:wave:

• Members

Mo: Great job! Great ideas, great tone. Also, even tho you said you were thinking about it, it seems like your ears take you to "cool" notes over the chord. Keep listening like that and trust your ears. Also, you can increase the "cool" factor by laying back "behind" the beat a little in "just the right" places.

Benzem: Couldn't hear your take because the link's dead.

Calum: Also really good ideas. I can hear that you've got really good instincts. Suggestion: spend a moment and REALLY check in with your tuning/intonation before you record. It sounded like your guitar was sharp in relation to the track. I've found that if I spend that extra moment tuning up, everything sounds better. It even makes my dumb ideas sound cooler than they really are. Don't forget to follow it all up with "yeah baby!"

I'll try to upload one of my own this week. Thanks!

Jon

• Members

Mo: Great job! Great ideas, great tone. Also, even tho you said you were thinking about it, it seems like your ears take you to "cool" notes over the chord. Keep listening like that and trust your ears. Also, you can increase the "cool" factor by laying back "behind" the beat a little in "just the right" places.

Jon

Thanks Jon!..I really appreciate that comment. Funny, I was just talking to my GF/singer about this and she was saying that as long as she's known me, I tend to play either right on the beat or slightly ahead...something to think about for sure. Our own music is usually pretty intensely "on" the beat so that's probably informed how I play naturally..but yeah, always looking to add more strings to the bow as it were, so I need to work on this.

• Members
I think the tone is killer. Fantastic wailing moaning tone.

There are some very tasty pieces in the take, but a few places where it felt like you were waiting for something to happen, and so is the listener
:)
(And this is from a fan of slow!
:eek:;)
)

GaJ

Ya I kept waiting:confused: but nothing:mad:

Sorry

• Members

hehehehe!!! Thanks!! One of the melodies is a "smartass" quote from the tune "My Funny Valentine"

I heard that and take no issue with those ever! It's all part of the journey that is improv isn't it! You seem to have a nice ability to slide those in without them becoming distracting.

• Members

Alright boys I had a go. Here it be warts and all!

Dude you know I love your playing, and by about 50 seconds in, I felt like you really hit your groove. If I had to make a criticism, I almost felt like you were trying to be too clever in the early going. Once you got going though, it was a really fantastic solo.

• Members

Thanks Jay.

I always feel that with these... the start always feels clunky unless I work something out beforehand - which I never want or do (I did on Jade's do it like Gilmour jam). To me the whole point of these is to capture a pure improv for the exercise.

For this one I literally started it recording and started playing. That's why there is quite a "clever" space at the beginning. My hand was hitting the record button.

It's a nice progression Jon. Was enjoyable.

• Members

Thanks Jay.

I always feel that with these... the start always feels clunky unless I work something out beforehand - which I never want or do (I did on Jade's do it like Gilmour jam). To me the whole point of these is to capture a pure improv for the exercise.

For this one I literally started it recording and started playing. That's why there is quite a "clever" space at the beginning. My hand was hitting the record button.

It's a nice progression Jon. Was enjoyable.

Actually, I listened back to it again this morning, and clever might not be the right word.. IDK, I think it's just that once you warmed up I REALLY liked it...

Also, I totally agree that I just like to wing it when I do these. Sometimes I think I should probably work on crafting a solo, simply because it's not something I do very often in my normal playing. I'll definitely give this progression a go in the next couple of days. I've got three shows this weekend, so I've been pretty swamped.

• Members
Yikes. That's great Jon..I love the placement of the "blue" notes and the control you have over bends/vibrato. That's where I need to get to..

Thanks! The only thing about that solo that was "planned" was to visit that Gb note occasionally (the blue one you mentioned). Especially when the progression hits the Ab7 chord, and to avoid the Gnatural like the plague over the same chord. Other than that it was pretty much me wandering around the fretboard looking for interesting tidbits!

• Members

Alright boys I had a go. Here it be warts and all!

http://www.box.net/shared/l24r0gffr8

That's really good Jeremy!...between around 1.30 and 2.00 is awesome. Very nice ideas and execution....interesting, I think both your take and Jon's have a much more sophisticated vibe with the note choices compared to mine which sounds more "vanilla" rock..good stuff to learn here for me..which is why I like doing these jams. :thu:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived