Should I focus on the guitar genres I already play before starting a new one?

MuyLoCo444

• Members

I play rock/metal lead guitar as well as classical. Sometimes I dabble in blues or blues/rock, and now I want to think about studying Jazz. However, I feel like I should be accomplished in rock and classical before crossing over to jazz. I mean there is so much to learn in any guitar genre of music. Plus my job, which is not music related, keeps my practicing schedule minimal. So my question is, before taking Jazz lessons, should I focus on areas of improvement in classical and lead guitar?

• Members

Follow your muse - wherever it takes you. Those little side roads will eventually define your personal style.

Some players take longer for their style to develop because of broad interests. But, like a fine wine, often times the aging process makes the end result even better.

Just play.

• Members

I agree with everyone else here. I studied a little jazz and a little classical. Really just enough to be dangerous, I would never say I can play either style well at all. However, I catch little licks that I throw in that I can definitely attribute to having spent some time with those genres.

Like everyone else said, follow what you like. Don't study jazz because you think it's cool. Study jazz because something you heard blew you away and you want to learn more about it.

Archived