Do you keep a written record of what you practice?

• Members

Like a journal or something like that? I've never done it, but am thinking I might. My practice routine is getting crazy, and it would probably make sense to start keeping a record of what I'm playing. So who here has done this and is it convenient?

• Members

I tried several times, long long ago. But eventually I didn't benefit from it. I've never practiced so many hours in a day that I had troubles remembering the daily plan anyway.

I don't know, did you guys use to keep a record of what you studied for your high school or university exams?

• Members

At the moment I have started recording when I have rehearsed each song I'm supposed to be able to play.

They are in a spreadsheet, and I just update the date next to each as I play it. Then I sort the spreadsheet by date and pick another one near the bottom. This is the only way I can think of to make sure I don't forget stuff, because although the list of tunes I can theoretically play with each of the two bands I'm in isn't that big, I find the darn things get spiderwebs on them really really quickly :(

I have also written down what I'm supposed to practice. A bullet list like

- Stetina exercises

- Scales

- Arpeggios

- Sight Reading

- Transcription

- Repetoire

A prefect day I'd do some of each of these. Doesn't happen all that often!

GaJ

Archived