What Guitar Players can Gain from Learning Bass

• Members

Hey, so because I suck at hearing chords my teacher recommended me to start learning bass, since that will help. So I thought it would be good for all the guitar players to list some benefits of learning bass, even if you are a guitar player.

1. You will hear chords much better on the bandstand. You'll be able to hear the bass better which usually covers the root or fifth.

2). It will help you groove immsenly.

3) You will better understand what the bass player is doing, allowing you to be better responsive.

If you guys got any other benefits. LIST THEM!

Thanks y'all!

• Members

First, it's fun as heck.

If you're gigging on bass you darn sure better learn how to count. The bass has to be on the changes. It'll help that skill certainly.

I was briefly learning standup bass (acoustic, fretless) to be a sub in with a band I was normally playing acoustic guitar in, and practicing that every day sure made my fingers stronger! Playing fretless was good for my ear, too.

• Members

Bass seemed to help me to identify the structure of the song more (like how music theory pertains to why the song works) In a way I look @ guitar as sort of a frilly decoration on the framework the bass provides. Bass is a pretty good way to "get" fretboard mechanics.

If you're having a hard time hearing chords, I would recommend practicing scales and singing the intervals -like the ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah vox exercises except sing it like root - second - minor 3rd - etc

(don't really sing etc.)

• Members

Something I've noticed is that on bass, you have to CONNECT the chords. Where the guitar player might just have to play a G chord and then a C chord, the bass has to anticipate that C chord, and connect the chords together. You have to think ahead a little more. Also, where the guitar player can get away with just knowing "I put my fingers here and it makes a G chord", the bass player needs to know where the chord tones actually are (at least if he/she wants to play anything other than the root note).

And learning how to play in the pocket doesn't hurt either.

• Members

Something I've noticed is that on bass, you have to CONNECT the chords. Where the guitar player might just have to play a G chord and then a C chord, the bass has to
anticipate
that C chord, and connect the chords together. You have to think ahead a little more. Also, where the guitar player can get away with just knowing "I put my fingers here and it makes a G chord", the bass player needs to know where the chord tones actually are (at least if he/she wants to play anything other than the root note).

All great points, and true in my experience.

Working on connecting the chords smoothly, when I play bass lines, is how I familiarized myself with intervals other than just the root and 5th - didn't take long to find the 3rd, 7th, 9th, etc.

• Members

I agree with all the comments about rhythm. Bass is a rhythm section instrument. Unlike guitar, it's not about melody or harmony.

Yes, you can play bass melodically, and you can outline harmony with arpeggios - and your bass note can govern the perceived harmony too (eg put an A bass under someone's C chord and it becomes an Am7 - and there's nothing they can do about it... :D... put an F under their Am and it's Fmaj7...tee hee) - but keeping the pulse, outlining the groove, is the number one thing the bass does.

One of the common mistakes guitarists make when they take up bass is to underestimate the power of bass. You have to punch those notes out; and they have to be right on the button. (I used to play bass lazily - without realising - until I had lessons; my tutor made me turn my amp down a touch and get more volume from my attack; big improvement!)

Needless to say - as the OP says - that lesson transfers to guitar, making you realise how important rhythm is: being tight, crisp and positive in your attack.

As a long time bass player myself (I was bassist in my first band, because I couldn't play guitar then as well as their guitarist ;)), I wouldn't say it's helped me hear the low register better. Of course I'm conscious of its importance - and I know a wrong bass note when I hear one (and tend to be critical of bass players) - but when I transcribe bass I'm always raising it by an octave (into guitar register) so I can hear it clearly.

• Members

Right then, i'm off to get a bass.
:lol:
How is Adelaide going these days, havn't been back for 4 years, must get on down there and visit the oldies one day soon.

Well, for one thing, the open mic scene has exploded. It's amazing the fantastic music you can hear for free at these things (as long as you like Blues/Classic Rock :) )

GaJ

• Members

Well, for one thing, the open mic scene has exploded. It's amazing the fantastic music you can hear for free at these things (as long as you like Blues/Classic Rock
:)
)

GaJ

Good to hear, love the blues and prog rock, just did a google and lots of items listed, there used to be too many wowser's complaining about noise and the such, when I were there, it will be well worth the trip then. :)

• Moderators

Something I've noticed is that on bass, you have to CONNECT the chords. Where the guitar player might just have to play a G chord and then a C chord, the bass has to
anticipate
that C chord, and connect the chords together. You have to think ahead a little more. Also, where the guitar player can get away with just knowing "I put my fingers here and it makes a G chord", the bass player needs to know where the chord tones actually are (at least if he/she wants to play anything other than the root note).

"CONNECT the chords." Absolutely. Leading tones rule. It's not easy to miss the power of a leading tone in the bass. Or a 5th. To a guitarist, it's a simple chord tone. To a bassist, it is an all powerful coloring of the chord. A V/IV chord on the bass is magic. He's pedals the F while the band moves to G7... is it really going to resolve to C? The bassist, using a passing E note, then G, then B... and yes... we were going to C! But wait, the bassist hits a C/G. Hmmmm....

The bass gets muddy down there, so the choice have to be wise, but with that, comes HUGE power over the sound of any chord. The direction of any progression, the emotion of any arrangement.

Bass rocks.

• Members

"CONNECT the chords." Absolutely. Leading tones rule. It's not easy to miss the power of a leading tone in the bass. Or a 5th. To a guitarist, it's a simple chord tone. To a bassist, it is an all powerful
coloring
of the chord. A V/IV chord on the bass is magic. He's pedals the F while the band moves to G7... is it really going to resolve to C? The bassist, using a passing E note, then G, then B... and yes... we were going to C! But wait, the bassist hits a C/G. Hmmmm....

The bass gets muddy down there, so the choice have to be wise, but with that, comes HUGE power over the sound of any chord. The direction of any progression, the emotion of any arrangement.

Bass rocks.

100% agree. The bass IS the root. He/she holds all the reins.

I always laugh when people think bass is easy. I mean sure you can bumble your way around and play it like a guitar but you are fooling really nobody knowledgeable. I can hear a guitarist on bass a mile away. It's a completely different mindset. Everyone likes to put off that the guitar matters more ... and that you can get away with a weak bass player... I contend if you have a killer drummer and a killer bass player and a good vocalist - you have a band. The guitar is icing often.

Showin some love for my 4 string brethren!

Archived