Rocksmith, anyone have any experience with it?

• Members

I don't have any experience with it, but I'm tempted to say that if it's not fun to practise scales...don't!. Why bother playing anything on guitar if it's no fun?

I don't mind scales. I do like games. If this combines the two and makes practice more varied and interesting, thought it might be useful.

• Members

Provided it doesn't replace practice... if it just adds to it then why not. My daughter bought it and used it for a bit. She seemed to enjoy it and it made her play a bit beyond her normal routine. So it had some benefits. But as i said PROVIDED it is above and beyond your normal practice schedule. If it takes away from it then no.

• Members

I have a few students who have gotten it, there playing has improved. I would say if your intermediate to advance it wont be helpful, but is great for beginner to early intermediate. It basically uses the guitar hereo method of guitar play/reading/whatever you want to call it, and applies it to real guitar, real songs, real licks. Very cool.

• Members

My cousin has it and he brought it over and I tried it out. I noticed quite a bit of latency from when I'd hit the note to when the note would actually sound on the tv. I don't know if it's because I was playing it on an HDTV or if that's just how it is.

• Members

My cousin has it and he brought it over and I tried it out. I noticed quite a bit of latency from when I'd hit the note to when the note would actually sound on the tv. I don't know if it's because I was playing it on an HDTV or if that's just how it is.

I've read a lot of threads about the latency issue on the 'Net. Quite a few solutions out there. Does appear to be some lag if running via HDMI into your HD tv, as the tv does some processing of the audio signal which creates the delay.

• Members

I should say it does kind of a progressive learning thing... which can be quite odd for someone who plays. In the early levels it really simplifies the songs... So it can be weird to play along because it really is different. I just said screw it and played along with the song the way you would play the song with a band ... and I almost got booed off! So it was a challenge for me to play these simplified versions because my ear kept wanting to play it as i know it goes.

I suspect as you get to higher levels it gets more real.

There was some latency for sure but not crippling.

Archived