Aspiration Check

Pitar

• Members

Relative to playing guitar, what are your aspirations?

We are largely channeled through and defined by the musical arts ranging from their most overt to subliminal influences. I grew up in a household of happy parents who listened to big band and post war celebrities like Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Andy Williams, Eddie Arnold, Dean Martin, Jack Parr and a bunch of others. Not bad at all.

Then came my own radio listening rites of passage throughout the 60's and 70's. I stopped actively listening to the radio about 1976 so after that I had a casual ear tuned into pop music. More ignorant of music I consider past "my time" than informed, I feel comfortable and satisfied with what it gave me.

I'm an acoustic guitar player and I have no specific, or familiar genre I can describe that best illustrates what music I like. I suppose it's a resulting mix of past influences into a style my well-practiced improper playing has developed. I will say I like a hard driving fingerstyle acoustic sound similar to Classical Gas in meter and gravity. Not strictly instrumental or lyrical, I do enjoy meat with potatoes.

Aspirations-wise, I think I'm just taking it as it comes now and going where the melodies take me. Or, is that just another way of saying lost?

• Members

I often question playing ... Least the why do i put so many hours into it. But then I just find myself doing it. I can't stop even if I wanted to. So as far as aspirations the only real one I have is to become the best I can be. To get a little better each day and stop questioning the whys. The journey is the gold not the destination. Playing allows you to escape the world for a bit. Most people have to pay thousands to "get away" and we get to do it everyday. Music truly is a gift.

• Members

Jeremy's post was great.

Relative to playing guitar, what are your aspirations?

My aspiration is to be a well-rounded musician, able to cover a lot of ground to a high degree of quality... like a session guy. I want to be able to do a jazz gig, then go home and write a progressive metal instrumental, then go out and kick ass at a blues jam, or write a top notch country tune, and perform in a small classical group. I like being a jack of all trades. Specifically with regards to guitar, my short-term aspirations are to to keep learning and having fun. I want to be able to write and perform music that I enjoy - whether it's a Steve Vai cover, or a three chord country song.

Archived