So I tried a Line 6 POD X3 Live

sideshowlinc

• Members

When using a Pod X3 Live or other Pod you really don't want to run it through the front a guitar amp unless you are using only the effects pedals. The effects pedals won't be affected by the preamp or the speaker of the amp it you go in the front or choose to go in an FX channe.

If you are using the Pod digital modled amps you want to go into the FX in of the amp. However there is still one little problem with it in that configuration. You are haveing you tone colored by the amps speakers. I go around that by getting Line 6 Flextone III Plus. A great amp and I just plug into the mono in on the back and then use the direct outs to go to the house. This gives me a monitor on the stage and my tone is not affected by the speaker becuase it is made for the modeling amp. As well the Master Volume does not affect the level of the direct output to the house.

Many of the Pod XT Live folks are playing thruogh speakers like the self powered EON's. The flay response speaker is what you need and that is what Atomic amps are doing. It is simply a tube amp with a flat response speaker so as not to color the tone from whatever amp simulater you are using. That is my understanding of it so I hope this has been some help to someone out there. Keep on picking and strumin.

Currently I am only using my Pod XT Live and a direct box right into the house system. As a Worship Leader I have my own monitor and that does away with the need for the amp as a monitor.

However as soon as I can I will get the X3 even if I have to sell my blue Variax 600 to do it as a last resort. I have heard it talked to a guitarist at Willy's Place at Carl's Corners on I 35 E South in Texas and he absolutely raved about it. Other I have spoken to have also raved about it and wouldn't change for anything. I think it's about time for me to upgrade.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I really like my X3 Live but I'm not sure it's a revelation over the XT.

I think from the feelback floating around, the XT is still very good indeed...espec considering it's now a 'cheap' modeler.

The X3 dual tone though is handy, espec if you don't wish to use it simultaneously...

For example, you can setup twice the amount of tones per bank if you want.

Eg: you are playing a song with a clean intro and then wish to kick into a heavier amp (rather than just a dist pedal) to get a really full on sound. No probs. Setup the dual tone so you can just click the 2nd amp on and off.

You of course can run two diff amps simultaneously but it gives you even more flexibility quite simply.

I also agree with Sargeslide.

I've spent hours fiddling with my Night Train to get a whole heap of sounds I like. The POD deserves just the same...the only thing is you can do this for every different sound if you like!

• Members

There's no doubt that the X3 is great, but I am still satisfied with my XT. As long as I can keep using it with my computer, and Line 6 will keep supporting it, (Snow Leopard drivers please) I will continue to use it.

• Members

Do any of you who use these things actually use them live, and can you get a tone that cuts through the mix and sounds good with them?

Yes. I am the bassist in our cover band and the lead guitarist uses one too. His tone cuts through rather well. I think the bass sounds great. We both use power amps into regular cabs. A Crapinger 4x12 cab in his case, and an Ampeg 4x10 in mine. We usually just give the sound guy direct outs from the X3 Live and use our amps for stage volume.

My only complaint is that it takes a while to tweak and learn how to set the thing up. But there's tons of tones in there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

There's no doubt that the X3 is great, but I am still satisfied with my XT. As long as I can keep using it with my computer, and Line 6 will keep supporting it, (Snow Leopard drivers please) I will continue to use it.

I too still feel very good about the XT and haven't felt a need to go for the X3.

• Members

I'm going to be getting an X3 Live soon, and will be using my M9 on the effects loop of the X3 for my effects.

It's been a while since I ran a rig like this, usually have been using tube amps and pedals....but since many more gigs these days are very volume conscious, I am adjusting accordingly.

And there's a variax guitar in my future, so I want to get used to using the X3 first, and then integrate the variax later.

Lots of pros and cons to ALL the various modelers. I used the Johnson J-Station for many years, it was a good one, and I liked it better than the first PODS that came out.

But the X3 Live seems to be a lot better than the early POD series.

And hey.....I want to be part of Craig's forum :love: been a fan of his since the 70s :thu:

• Members

I have a Pod XT Live right now. It really is a great unit. I havent gotten the full experience though cause I use it through a small bass amp. I think I am going to get a nice tube amp and run the Pod through just for effects and maybe a boost or extra overdrive. Line 6 really does make great products.

• Members

I have a Pod XT Live right now. It really is a great unit. I havent gotten the full experience though cause I use it through a small bass amp. I think I am going to get a nice tube amp and run the Pod through just for effects and maybe a boost or extra overdrive. Line 6 really does make great products.

I'd prob not recommend it for this...for this kind of role with a tube amp, use the M9 or M13. They really kick arse into a tube amp.

The PODs are great though through FRFR type setups (PA, Atomic reactor etc)

• Members

There's adverts in Guitar Center Mags, but NO updates yet for the X3.

I have tried it with vocals and bass and acoustic. But, IMHO, the X3 Live is best used for electric guitar.

Although I haven't tried it with bass guitar, I use it for electric guitar, acoustic, and vocals and it sounds fantastic.

How did you set up the other inputs?

I have the guitar in and the auxiliary in to tone one and set up tone one to go through the "live outs" and muted on the "direct outs".

I have vocals go to tone two and have those go only to the "direct outs" and muted on the "live outs".

I then hook up the "direct outs" to the PA (Mackie DSP12 going to Mackie Thump Powered speakers). The vocals sound great and I love the fact that I can instantly change the vocal effects when I change guitar patches. Previously I had to use MIDI to a separate vocal effects box which took extra time to set up and tear down, etc.

The "live outs" go to a Traynor K4 keyboard amp (left channel and all high gain patches) and a Fender Acoustasonic Junior amp (right channel and all acoustic patches).

• Members

How did you set up the other inputs?

I set tone 1 for guitar in, and tone 2 for mic in. Then I hard pan the two tones.

The reason I'm not a big fan of it for voice is because I can hear the vocals being a bit muffled by the processing.

Agree it's way cool to have separate vocal patches that change when the guitar tone does.

Is it just me, or is the mic input super sensitive? With about 2 degrees of tweakability before it's dead quiet or too hot.

• Members

http://line6.com/software/index.html

POD X3 Pro Flash Memory v2.0 RELEASE NOTES:

[if you are a POD X3 Pro owner, please download and install the latest version of Line 6 Monkey software and use it to update your POD X3 Pro to this latest version of Flash Memory]

POD X3 Pro Customers: Updating to v2.0 firmware requires you to perform the update twice. After your first update, the POD X3 Pro will reboot and read

• Members

The above post is a little misleading, its also free on the X3 and X3 Live.

POD X3 v2.0 is a FREE update to all POD X3 customers. It includes 12 additional FX inspired by the sounds of sought-after stompboxes and rack gear!

POD X3 Live v2.0 is a FREE update to all POD X3 Live customers. It includes 12 additional FX inspired by the sounds of sought-after stompboxes and rack gear!

Archived