Peavey Vypyr vs. Line 6 Spyder: Thoughts?

Anderton

• Members

My only hit on the vyper is the noise gate. I couldn't find out how to tweak it out in the store. You could literally hear the gate close as I played with, ...wait for it....., DYNAMICS. That one thing prevented me from buying it that day. I like peavey gear, tho'.

And I own a flextone III and use it for cover gigs. Almost got the first spidervalve 2x12, but I hated the efx. The Mk II spidervalve's are supposed to have a much better efx matrix, but I haven't had the chance to try it out.

• Members

Ah, the McAmp dilemma. Choices, choices.

I considered both for a small practice amp and went with the L6

The choice is like that between a Big Mac and a Whopper: cheap and neither is very good. Both are budget digital sweatshop amps that will be disposed of in a few years along with cell phones and whatever else you own that falls under the rubric of planned obsolescence. If Line 6's hardware reliability rate was a baseball batting average they'd be stuck in single A ball. Looks good on paper, occasional flashes of brilliance, but is injury prone and strikes out a LOT.

The spider's looper is not long enough and the Peavey is burdened with a tweener snake fang motif that should repel adults except for those drawn toward things like BC Rich guitars, etc.

the piece of junk spider (L6 amps are made with car audio parts and MDF cabinets) will hold me over until I get my Atomic Space Tone and then it will go into service producing weird sounds until it fails one week after the warranty expires. :facepalm:

• Members

I have owned a Spider and played around quite a bit with the Vypyr at GC. Sold the Spider bought a tube amp... but still gas for the Vypyr for practice and light gigging.

The Spider's are pretty stripped down compared to the Line6 modeling processors. I would put the Vypyr closer to those lines. The Vypyr to me feels better and the distortion sounds more realistic with no weird aliasing and such.

The Vypyr doesn't use digital modeling for the core tone. The digital part is only for the effects. The amp modeling is done analog... think like SansAmp stuff or traditional solid state amps. But it is based on their Transtube technology.

The new Spiders you get a lot more stuff than the older one I had. The artist presets LCD programming, fancy footswitch... all fluff to me.

The Vypyr you get models of amps and pedals that are common rather than just musical types. So or me it helps me get that tone faster since I am familiar with the originals. But for those that aren't, it could be a hindrance. I also like how the "pedals" in front act like they are supposed to, ie. using the TS-9 as a boost in front of the 5150 model gets me where I expect to be. That is a big selling point for me right there.

I think they look goofy and the Sanpera footswitch really looks goofy. But it does handle MIDI so you can use whatever you want... another big selling point. With MIDI it will also integrate better with pro rigs using other effects.

• Members

Vypyr by a mile from a tonal perspective. Line 6 by a mile for the UI and cosmetics. I was really hoping the Vypyr would be an amp version of thier Revalver but it's not even close and construction is on the wimpy side. That being said IMHO it's about the best thing out there in modeling amps at that price point that I've played (Spyder, Vox Valvtronics, Roland Cube). Here are some clips from my review of the amp:

http://www.frugalguitarist.com/Sounds/Issue%208/Pop_Vypyr.mp3 - This is a clip of the Peavey Vypyr 30. The rhythm track is the Brit model using a Devlin Imposter (neck pickup) and the lead is a Lace Huntington using the Classic high gain channel. Both tracks were recorded with an Audio Technica AT2020 off axis. The track has also been treated with some slight delay, reverb, and compression.

http://www.frugalguitarist.com/Sounds/Issue%208/Heavy_Vypyr.mp3 - The guitars are triple tracked in this one. Panned right is a Lace Huntington using the 6505 model of the Vypyr 30, left is a Lace Huntington using the JSX model of Vypyr 30, and center is a PRS Singlecut SE using the XXX model of the Vypyr 30. All tracks were recorded using an SM57. No additional processing was added to this track.

http://www.frugalguitarist.com/Sounds/Issue%208/Funky_Vypyr.mp3 - The rhythm guitar in this clip is the Classic Clean channel and the lead is the Bkat high gain channel of the Peavey Vypyr. Both tracks were recorded using a Lace Huntington and an Audio Technica AT2020 off axis. The track was additionally treated with some reverb and compression.

• Members

It kind of reminds me of how no one seems to be able to spell Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Now that I think about it, I bet Peavey (who counted the aforementioned boys from Jacksonville as early enthusiasts of their amps) spelled it that way on purpose, as a homage. :)

But anyway - I like the Vypyr a lot - they are fantastic little amps. The release of Spider 4 makes them extremely competitive both tonally and ergonomically.

Since I already have the Line 6 foot controller, I'd get a Spider. But I already have a Vetta, so I have no need for one.

Brian V.

• Members

I'm wondering how these Vypers hold up to Peavey's older "all in one" multi effects amps. It's been a while since I played a TransFex but at the time they seemed pretty sweet. I currently own a Tubefex and love it (though that unit has tubes). The effects, if not pristine, are highly tweak-able as well as the routing. Can the Vypers change effects placement? How deep is the editing?

• Members

I'm wondering how these Vypers hold up to Peavey's older "all in one" multi effects amps. It's been a while since I played a TransFex but at the time they seemed pretty sweet. I currently own a Tubefex and love it (though that unit has tubes). The effects, if not pristine, are highly tweak-able as well as the routing. Can the Vypers change effects placement? How deep is the editing?

It would be closer to their Transformer line. You can't change effects placement.

Archived