Zoom G2.1Nu

LaughingGuitar

• Members

I was looking through Guitar Player recently and I saw them mention the new Zoom G2.1Nu. I went looking on YouTube for any videos, and the only decent one of the few there were was this:

Once you get past the part with the song and the guy goofing around, you get some sound samples of the processor.

One of my problems with Zoom processors in the past is I've always felt their cabinet models were very weak. Thoughts?

• Members

I've been waiting for the G2.1Nu to come out so I can grab one. I've been using a G2.1u for years and I love it. The new model has some upgraded features that I'm looking forward to. I also have the big brother - G9.2tt which is amazing, but in a whole different class. But as with most multi effects, it can be hard to tell from the presets which are generally over hyped and extreme. I've spent some time tweaking sounds on the G2.1u and have gotten some great tones out of it - I'm always getting comments from other guitar players about them and they are surprised that they came from such a small inexpensive unit. I've owned other Zoom fx in the past and they were fairly cheesy, but the G2 line is on another level, especially for sound quality.

• Members

What would you say is better about the G2 line than the G1 line? I used to own a G1 and I'm pretty good at tweaking things but no matter how much I tweaked it I could never get it to sound good. It always came across sounding either harsh, or just obviously digital.

• Members

I've never used a G1 and have no experience with it, so I can't really compare them with the G2. The specs on the G2 are remarkably high for such an inexpensive unit, which has a direct impact on the sound quality.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

What would you say is better about the G2 line than the G1 line? I used to own a G1 and I'm pretty good at tweaking things but no matter how much I tweaked it I could never get it to sound good. It always came across sounding either harsh, or just obviously digital.

Much more access to the parameters for tweaking.

• Members

Great news Will - I trust Frugalguitarist's reviews - Can't wait to read it. I had a Zoom G2 for a few months - gave it to the kid down the street when I got my Boss GS-10 (also have a Korg Toneworks)... it wasn't bad - I like the software deal (my Boss has editor software) and the Interface feature too. The G2 was cool in that it had drums with the tap feature for quick jammin' and worked great into a DAW as I'm too lazy to program drums (I use loops now)...

• Members

I just got the G2.1Nu after waiting months for it. I haven't really had it long enough to give a detailed review, but so far I'm loving it. I had the G2.1u for a few years and liked it a lot, as well as currently owning the G9.2tt, so I guess you could say I'm a fan of Zoom.

But briefly, a few things I like about the Nu -

-larger, more detailed display than the 2 digit display on the original model -easier onboard editing

- built in looper (very basic, but nice to have)

- better, more interesting delays than the original, including reverse delay

- improved distortion models - some killer one's

- footswitchable infinite hold

The patches that Steve Vai created for it were not that interesting or relevant to my use, but some players might like them. Overall, for me, the presets only hint at what the unit is capable of. I did extensive tweaking on my G2.1u and certainly will with the G2.1Nu. I'll write more about it after spending some time with it.

• Members

I just got the G2.1Nu after waiting months for it. I haven't really had it long enough to give a detailed review, but so far I'm loving it. I had the G2.1u for a few years and liked it a lot, as well as currently owning the G9.2tt, so I guess you could say I'm a fan of Zoom.

But briefly, a few things I like about the Nu -

-larger, more detailed display than the 2 digit display on the original model -easier onboard editing

- built in looper (very basic, but nice to have)

- better, more interesting delays than the original, including reverse delay

- improved distortion models - some killer one's

- footswitchable infinite hold

The patches that Steve Vai created for it were not that interesting or relevant to my use, but some players might like them. Overall, for me, the presets only hint at what the unit is capable of. I did extensive tweaking on my G2.1u and certainly will with the G2.1Nu. I'll write more about it after spending some time with it.

The big question in my mind is can it give something like the Digitech RP255 a run for the money. Looks to be competitive in a great many areas. The only guaranteed spot it falls short is the 5 second looper vs the RP355's 20 sec. Looks to have a couple unique effects and the 6 band eq is a sweet advantage. Also the ability to add a second expression/control pedal is very cool. Looking forward to giving it a spin...

• Members

Looks to have a couple unique effects and the 6 band eq is a sweet advantage. Also the ability to add a second expression/control pedal is very cool. Looking forward to giving it a spin...

No parametric, though. I really like effects where I can notch out annoying frequencies.

• Members

No parametric, though. I really like effects where I can notch out annoying frequencies.

Agreed. A 6 band graphic is nice and different approach than Boss, Korg/Vox, and Digitech are offering at similar price points. Digitech comes closest, but their semi parametric is still lacking the ability to really notch something out as you can't adjust the curve shape. I don't think any of the affordable units have a full parametric EQ.

• Members

Agreed. A 6 band graphic is nice and different approach than Boss, Korg/Vox, and Digitech are offering at similar price points. Digitech comes closest, but their semi parametric is still lacking the ability to really notch something out as you can't adjust the curve shape. I don't think any of the affordable units have a full parametric EQ.

No, I don't think any do either...but as the G2.1Nu is a major step ahead, I didn't want anyone to have unrealistic expectations.

The one thing I don't see mentioned a lot but is REALLY cool is how fast the patches change - pretty much instant. The other thing is that even if you don't have a computer handy, the re-worked three-knob interface/LCD combination rocks. It wouldn't freak me out to make a few tweaks backstage before a show without having a computer editor handy.

• Members

The other thing is that even if you don't have a computer handy, the re-worked three-knob interface/LCD combination rocks. It wouldn't freak me out to make a few tweaks backstage before a show without having a computer editor handy.

Having had the original G2.1u and now the new G2.1Nu, I agree that the re-worked three-knob interface/LCD combination is great - a major upgrade. Editing on it is a piece of cake. I spent some time tweaking patches on it last night right from the unit - it was super easy and WAY better than the original G2 model. I'll be gigging with it tonight for the first time and I'm looking forward to hearing how it sounds with a full band and my amp mic'd through the PA.

• Members

Having had the original G2.1u and now the new G2.1Nu, I agree that the re-worked three-knob interface/LCD combination is great - a major upgrade. Editing on it is a piece of cake. I spent some time tweaking patches on it last night right from the unit - it was super easy and WAY better than the original G2 model. I'll be gigging with it tonight for the first time and I'm looking forward to hearing how it sounds with a full band and my amp mic'd through the PA.

Yes, the patch changing is too fast to really even notice. Very, very nice. Also agree the new programming architecture is way better than their old system. If this thing had a full parametric eq it would be killer.

However, including so many new bells and whistles resulted in them cutting a couple features of the G2.1, notably the mic type/position modelling and substituting some higher gain models for the clean models of the G2.1.

BTW, the head to head is becoming rather epic with a bunch of clips comparing the 2 units. Going to take a bit longer than expected...

• Members

However, including so many new bells and whistles resulted in them cutting a couple features of the G2.1, notably the mic type/position modelling and substituting some higher gain models for the clean models of the G2.1.

I also noticed that the G2.1Nu doesn't have an overabundance of models for clean tones. However, how many clean tones do most players use anyway? I usually use three at most - a general purpose Fender clean, an Andy Summers-style Roland Jazz Chorus sound, and maybe a warmer jazz box tone. All of which I can get out of the G2.1Nu. I'm particularly liking the acoustic simulator tone on it with the high end rolled off a bit. But I'm especially impressed with the selection of delays on the G2.1Nu.

• Members

I also noticed that the G2.1Nu doesn't have an overabundance of models for clean tones. However, how many clean tones do most players use anyway? I usually use three at most - a general purpose Fender clean, an Andy Summers-style Roland Jazz Chorus sound, and maybe a warmer jazz box tone. All of which I can get out of the G2.1Nu. I'm particularly liking the acoustic simulator tone on it with the high end rolled off a bit. But I'm especially impressed with the selection of delays on the G2.1Nu.

Yes, the acoustic simulator is the best I've heard in an multi fx modeler. Much better than the Digitech and Boss alternatives. The delays are good. Comparable to all the big boys. Though inclusion of 100% wet reverse delay and multitap is a "one up" which draws in people like me looking for unique effects at affordable price points. Can't match Digitech's pitch algorithms though...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Just discovered the shootout, Will. Excellent work & thanks for taking the time.

+1

Excellent job. It was especially helpful to me as a G2.1Nu owner and gave me some food for thought for my programming experimentation. Also your site looks cool and I plan to check it out in depth soon.

• Members

I am totallty loving it!

Feature:

It is so elegantly simple even a gearslutz monkey could operate it. Nuff said. I love it! And am getting another one or two to incorporate into my live rig. I am totally enamored with this little sumbich! Kudos Zoom!

Quality:

Solid!

Value:

Best $199.00 I have ever spent on anything. I need three more!!!

Desirability:

Vewy Vewy Sexy! Now evewybody be vewy vewy quiet and go play your guitars ....

Sound:

I took it out of the box. Logged on to Zoom, downloaded the Edit& Share app and loaded it as administrator, then downloaded the Win 7 x64 drivers and installed, then plugged in the USB and w/o looking at the manual figured everything out. It all took less than 5 minutes. I love it.

I started scrolling thru presets and that was 1300 two days ago. It was 1920 and I hadn

Archived