OT: Marc Bolan/ T-Rex Fans?

fuzzface71

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I did not know this, but allegedly, the guitar that Mike Oldfield used on the whole "Tubular Bells" album, was a blonde Telecaster formerly owned by Marc Bolan.

To create that bagpipe guitar sound, Olfield employed the slightly mysterious Glorfindel box. This was an effects unit, encased in a wooden box, which he got from David Bedford, who'd been given the box at a party by its creator, a stoned hippy. The box was extremely unreliable in its operation, rarely giving the same result twice

Tom Newman said of Mike and the Glorfindel box: "he had this awful home-made electronics box full of horrid transistors, covered in faders and knobs which he called a 'Glorfindel'. This was a piece of plywood filled with junk that he could plug his guitar into and sometimes a sound would come out. Sometimes the sound was good, but most of the time it was terrible.

• Members

Originally posted by bieke

I did not know this, but allegedly, the guitar that Mike Oldfield used on the whole "Tubular Bells" album, was a blonde Telecaster formerly owned by Marc Bolan.

To create that bagpipe guitar sound, Olfield employed the slightly mysterious Glorfindel box. This was an effects unit, encased in a wooden box, which he got from David Bedford, who'd been given the box at a party by its creator, a stoned hippy. The box was extremely unreliable in its operation, rarely giving the same result twice

Tom Newman said of Mike and the Glorfindel box: "he had this awful home-made electronics box full of horrid transistors, covered in faders and knobs which he called a 'Glorfindel'. This was a piece of plywood filled with junk that he could plug his guitar into and sometimes a sound would come out. Sometimes the sound was good, but most of the time it was terrible.

:D

hey, can i get a link to your band's website?

• Members

I just read that he used a sunburst '59 Gibson Les Paul, Gibson SG, late-'60s Fender Stratocaster, Yamaha acoustic. Amps: H&H combo, Marshall half-stack, Orange stack. pedals: Dallas-Arbiter Fuzz Face, Electro-Harmonix Screaming Tree, MXR Blue Box, Vox wah.

It is a Vamp stack behind him on the cover. I have seen a lot of live footage (I know someone who is a big fan). Those have the sound.

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzface71

:cool:

As far as I can tell, these are the first master volume amps. Actually it has 3 volume controls for the lead channel, one is called bite and creates beautiful overdrive. These amps are louder than hell though. Still fun ones, and can be found (when found) for good prices.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I just read that he used a sunburst '59 Gibson Les Paul, Gibson SG, late-'60s Fender Stratocaster, Yamaha acoustic. Amps: H&H combo, Marshall half-stack, Orange stack. pedals: Dallas-Arbiter Fuzz Face, Electro-Harmonix Screaming Tree, MXR Blue Box, Vox wah.

Close. ;)

Here's a pic from the Electric Warrior sessions.

t-rex.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I've been into T-Rex ever since I first hear "Bang a Gong" in '71 ('72?) and I bought "Electric Warrior" and "Slider" when they were first released. Never got to see a live performance, just a TV appearance on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert.

Back then I thought there was no one cooler than Marc Bolan. I still have "Electric Warrior" on vinyl and play it whenever I want to "get it on".

• Members

i am playing "get it on" everytime i play the guitar! and than i slip into "cigarettes & alcohol" from oasis, which is pretty much the same :D i love that riff!

i am a bit of a bolan fan, yeah, i even bought the "johns children" album "orgasm" but thats a pile of {censored}e.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Members

doesn't anyone ever notice the similarities between get it on and it's only rock n roll by the stones?

Anyways, bolan was a cool dude with style and good gear.

The cover for electric warrior is a piece of art.

Listened to both EW and Television's Marquee Moon on vinyl tonight. good times

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzface71

Close.
;)

Here's a pic from the Electric Warrior sessions.

t-rex.jpg

Got the Born to Boogie DVD.

Can't tell if it's the same one, but Marc's using a blue rectangular fuzzbox with his Vamp amp. It looks sort of like a Guyatone Fuzz, but the color looks a bit off. It might be the lighting. Somebody else mentioned he used some Swedish box for a while. Anybody know?

• Members

Originally posted by zinzin

i am playing "get it on" everytime i play the guitar! and than i slip into "cigarettes & alcohol" from oasis, which is pretty much the same
:D
i love that riff!

i am a bit of a bolan fan, yeah, i even bought the "johns children" album "orgasm" but thats a pile of {censored}e.

WHAT! how dare you!

(i love johns children :) the outakes are the best tracks though...."remember thomas abecket")

Archived