BOss DS-1 Appreciation Thread

KjStrat62

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I use a DS-1 stock into a Fender Vibroverb and a Fender 52 RI tele. The Vibroverb seems to like pedals! The DS-1 is a taiwan model and just rocks with the amp.Granted a DS-1 sounds pretty rough with SS amps. Just seems to like the Vibro though.

• Members

I used on in the Late 80's & Liked it .

VERY CLEAR & TIGHT Not buzzy/mushy like all the other DS-1's I have tried latley

Must have been a Jap one

I bought one at a Pawn Shop last year without trying,

It sux you can hear a clean tone underlying the distortion. Its either Too boomy or too bright.

A local guy modded it for me & it still sux. Its made in Taiwan.

Is there THAT MUCH of a difference between the Jap & Taiwan

DS-1's or did I get rid of the best DS-1 ever made :confused:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Absolutely terrible pedal. I'd appreciate it if I never had to see one again. I challenge anyone to play the Jacques Fuseblower 2 distortion pedal and then come back and tell me the Boss DS-1 is better.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Originally posted by cutlerman

I've played a couple of stock DS-1s that sounded ok but I wasn't convinced to keep one until I got the Keeley DS-1 Ultra. That pedal sounds so much better than stock IMO. Keeley took a decent pedal and gave it balls.

My thoughts exactly. The ds-1 was the keeley pedal I liked the most of the 12 keely pedals I tried... which is a little odd because I thought I would like the java boost or the comp or the ts-9 more, but I didn't. The keeley ds-1 gave me an instant Joe Satriani lead & rythem sound (and that is actually what I look for in a distortion pedal) when set as a boost before a slightly clipping marshall 18w clone. Huge wall of tight distortion.

The stock ds-1 I tried in a local store was a total joke. bzzzzzzzz kggggggggg bzzzzzzzz. Those older japanese ones just have to be better I suppose :confused: .

• Members

DS-1 is like a bad cut of beef. You can't eat it by itself. But if you marinade it, grind it up, and cook it with a bunch of spices then you can chew it up and swallow it without noticing how bad it really is. But if you do all that to a better cut of beef it's going to taste better.

• 1 year later...

Archived