New Roger Mayer interview up on MGS

• Members

Great stuff Tony!

This still has my head spinning...

As to real time modelling I would like to make an analogy to your readers. Imagine you are beside a lake with an unpredictable wind blowing across the water and are holding a stone that you intend to throw into the lake. How could you possibly predict exactly what the pattern from the splash of the stone would be before you threw it into the lake also taking into account the effect of the unpredictable wind. You couldn't possible compute it ever. There are too many unknown variables involved. One definition of music is that it is not a repetitive waveform and therefore cannot be analysed in real time, only after it has occurred. So there you have it. Game over. Always remember analogue is continuous information and digital is maths. Digital recording and processing is a case of not continuously recording or processing signal information but slicing the signal up as a series of ones or zeros. The subject of digital modelling tries to make itself credible and believable by conveniently forgetting the fact that you are trying to simulate or model something from basically an alien source that might or probably does not contain the necessary information you are trying to simulate. It is not possible to accurately extrapolate information from the various sources that do not contain it in the first place. All you can do is make global decisions about what has already passed and then apply various mathematical algorithms to them after a sufficient time or number of cycles has passed with no idea of what will happen next. This is what latency is all about. This applies whether you are trying to simulate a valve, loudspeaker or any effect, as you cannot possibly instruct you digital modeller what to do if nothing has happened yet. It must wait until an event has passed or idle in some state that was previously determined by a past event. Now also remember that the speed of processing is not the answer to all the problems as in the case of musical instruments or vocals you will have to wait for zero crossings of the wave form before you have any idea of what the frequency is and therefore what possibly to do. This brings us back to the lake and not being able to possibly predict the splash pattern.

• Members
Originally posted by turtleheadblues

You must have missed the part on the site that says any duplictation of material on site in whole or part results in immediate surrender of all pedals to the big turtle.

:D

Erm... you do realise I only own a CS3 these days?:p

Seriously, apologies if I shouldn't have quoted him. Of course I only pasted it here, but if you'd rather I removed it, you just have to say man.

Roger fixed my Voodoo Vibe a year or so ago, he returns the pedal to you, fully functioning with a polite handwritten bill for his services. Completely trusting the customer to pay for the already completed repair. A real gentleman.:cool:

Archived