question about hardware DX synths

• Members

i'm looking for a hardware DX synth but donno which one would be wat i'm looking :freak:

i have only used software DX synths, FM7 is cool, and find as background and in busy mixes, but in a less busy mix it's just too thin and i have not yet seem any other software DX sound fat yet, other than DX samples

so...

now i comes down to

TG77 - with 2 effects, and some older samples, 128 user bank

or

DX200 - with 1 effects, loaded with 256 agressive sounding patches, and 128 user , free EG!!

maybe the sy99 would be the best but it's too big.. FS1r... their price is rising too much, and hrd to find... and new yamaha workstation should be out inclouding its FM?

so i wonder have anyone compare them with same dx patch loaded?

• Members

You're not going to be buying one because it has a better sound with the same DX patch loaded. The differences primarly come about because of the different options for FM synthsis available.

The classic DX7 (and the DX200) have sine-only 6 op FM, whereas several are 4-op (DX100, DX9). Some (FS1R) have 8-op. Some, like the SY have 6-op with more feedback loops and a variety of non-sine waveforms.

So, comparing patches that'll run on everything is going to miss the interesting differences.

B>

• Members

The original DX7 has a strange but hardly noticeable envelope glitch. YOu'll never notice it on a DX7 but when you load certain DX7 sounds into a DX7II or an FM7 plugin, it'll sound a little different, and I'm not talking about the sound quality.

• Members

Originally posted by dxdreamer

i'm looking for a hardware DX synth but donno which one would be wat i'm looking

Let's see. You can choose from following Yamaha FM synths

6 OP: DX-1, DX-5, DX-7, DX-7IID, DX-200, SY-77, SY-99, TX-802

4 OP: DX-9, DX-27, DX-100, DX-21, TX-81Z, DX-11, YS-100, YS-200, V-50

2 OP: SY-22, TG-33, SY-35

If you want to learn FM programming go with 4 OP synth. Make sure the synth you buy has the editor! I recently bought YS-200, and there is Atari editor, which i run on Atari emulator on PC.

• Members

The FS1R is worth the extra expense.

One of the most inspiring synths to come out in years. Really unique and deep architecture -- an FM synth on steroids, and then some.

Do yourself a favor, though, and get Soundiver.

• Members

huh...thankz for the replies

i'm not interested in anything less than 6op and without effects. basic 6op yamaha FM is cool, but i'm concering the sound of the converter, thats why i ask if anyone have compared the units~

might get a DX200 which is the same plugin board for CS/S/motif series..but maybe no... ,not enough space for another tabletop...

maybe i really have to go for fs1r for more usability:freak:

but i think maybe a Vsynth first :freak:

• Members

Get a TG-77 or a SY99.

DX-synthesis in it's prime and lots of possibilities for many hybrid DX/PCM/whatever type of sounds.

These can be delicate and sweet or really hardsounding and metallic and everything in between.

• Members

the dx200 is basically fm 7 in a tabletop box with drums added.

no point in getting it if you already have fm7.

however the tg-77 is a full digital subtractive synth married to a full 6 op fm synth. you can use the two in any combination you like simply by setting the fm algo to several carriers in parrallel and assigning those to waveforms like saw or piano etc... and the remainder of the algo set up as a 4 or 3 or 5 op fm synth. you then get a lone sample waveform playing alongside the fm synth or several waveforms playing at up to a 6 osc parrallel structure whatever you want.

also the tg is a full blown synth beyond the fm or awm osc level. you can use any of the onboard pcm samples in the fm patches and also use em as straight ahead waveforms like you would in a roland jv1080 or other pcm subtractive synth and ignore fm entirely it's up to you. it has filters and lfos and envelopes etc.. plus the fm side on top of it all that can use any waveform inside the thing. no preset algo's either you can create your own algos to suit your needs. plus it has a sequencer and effects.

the next best option is the fs1r. 8 op fm and a formant filter which is basically a mutatable filter that you can set the levels of each formant to create different res peaks and filter profiles. very nerdy synth and a degree in sound engineering is a handy thing to have with this thing. but it is definately one of the most complex digital synths ever made alongside the kawai k5000s and the v-synth.

• Members

DXDreamer, forgive my ignorance, but who is that pictured in your avatar? It's really freaking me out, kinda like Willy Wonka meets A Clockwork Orange.

Reminds me, I always wished Stanely Kubrik would have tackled Alice in Wonderland.

Archived