BYOC SG-1 coming soon

basscracker

• Members

Originally posted by MrSage

It does a great job of what it's supposed to do.

That said, it's a tweaker's pedal through-and-through. A person can't expect to plug in and get amazing reverse delay sounds out of the box (though it's a fairly straightforward effect, especially if you're familiar with envelope pedals).

You have to play with the settings to get it just right, and that could take a week or two of tweaking, playing, and re-tweaking...but patience is a virtue once you start getting the settings you're looking for. For newbies, a compressor can help you even out the sound a bit and make it easier to play with.

(sounds sweeeeet with delay, too!)

For me, the SG-1 is all about violin sounds. I love to play the theme from the Godfather and use the VB-2 in unlatch mode at the end of each line...killer.

IMO, you have to use delay or a lot of reverb with the SG-1. It sounds too dry if you don't.

I've found that to get good "reverse" licks, the key is to abruptly end each note after it swells to it's max. Playing very fast licks is very tricky. You need to adjust the attack knob so that it will swell fast enough. If you set it too high, you won't get any sound. So if you want to play a slow passage and then a fast passage, you would need to adjust the attack knob inbetween. I think this is why so many people think swell pedals suck. This is why I came up with the idea of having 2 foot switches on the SG-1 clones....to switch between 2 attack knob settings.

• Members

Originally posted by bigtonemusic

I know several people who have tried, but no one has got it yet....that I know of. It's very difficult. That's why I only went with the 45/90 mod on the new one....much easier...just a dpdt toggle switch...no rotary switch.

Just a suggestion on your phaser. Try hardwiring it without a switch so that you have all 8 phase stages. That way you know you've got that part working. Then go from there and try to get the switch working. Look at the schematic and keep in mind that the 6 phase stages you are shuffiling around are the stages inbetween the first and last. Those 2 are always stationary. When in 45 mode, it is just the first and last stages that are operating. Not the first 2 or last 2 for example or any 2 stages in sequence. So the 4 extra stages that you are adding with the extra board are going to be sandwiched in the middle of the existing 4.

LOL!

Nope... it was the missing transistor on the mod page (remember?). It's all straightened out and working now.

"Uh Oh".

Really? Why do you think that? :confused:

Look folks, I'm a moderator. As such, if I see any blatant violations of H-C site rules, I have the authority to say something / deal with it... but this isn't my forum, and I'm not going to come in here with a heavy hand and start throwing my weight around. I'm here just like you folks are - to enjoy some conversation about topics that interest me. Effects "interest" me, and for the most part, I'm just another run of the mill poster over here.

As far as Bigtone, he's done absolutely nothing wrong that I've seen. :)

The only reason a manufacturer might get into trouble (beyond the usual things any forumite might get into trouble for) is if they went onto one of the forums and started bashing their competition (don't laugh - stuff like that has been known to happen on various forums, and IMO, is totally uncool and unprofessional), or if they were to endlessly spam everyone.

My position, and the position of most of the other mods, is that if someone wants to start a thread about XYZ products, then anyone from XYZ company is welcome to come into that thread and respond. That's a "good thing" - hey, having manufacturers responding to customer questions and taking part in the discussion is fine by me!

Some forums have a dedicated "manufacturer's announcement thread", and IMO, that's a good idea too... it keeps the forum from getting over-run with tons of different spam threads... but that's open to the discretion of individual moderators.

So in short, no, Bigtone isn't in any trouble. No "uh oh" here. :D I was just discussing the possibility of reviewing some of his products at some point in the future.

Carry on. ;)

• Members

Sorry Phil. I jumped to the wrong conclusions. When MF bought a stake in this place there was a bit of speculation about how tolerant MF would be of dicussion/spamming about products which they did not carry. When the ebay linking stopped working for a while it seemed to confirm these suspicions that other avenues of purchase were being phased out. Of course, all these fears have proved to be unfounded. Still, perhaps because this board has no assigned mod, i'd not (until now) seen any official word reaffirming the freedom of manufacturers whose lines are not carried by MF to spam or generally discuss their products on the board. When I read your last two posts I suppose the cynic in me thought, because you were chosing to communicate privately, that something sinister was going on, perhaps that bigtone was being told that he was not to talk about his BYOC pedals as this, to some extent, is competition with an aspect of MF business. You know, businesses can be petty sometimes. Recently, here in Australia, McDonalds brought legal proceedings against a local community football club because its franchise name had a Mc in it (it was somethign like McBrantz). Great to hear that this is not the policy the board will take, and i'll now shut up about all such matters.

• 9 months later...

Archived