BYOC SG-1 coming soon

basscracker

• Members

What should I do first, the VB-2, or SG-1? I've already reversed engineered the SG-1 because it was the least complex.

But it's still going to be about 2 months off. I just order boards for the chorus kit, tribooster kits, and the new phaser kit, so I'm all tapped out at the moment till I sell a few more kits.

• Members

Originally posted by bigtonemusic

What should I do first, the VB-2, or SG-1? I've already reversed engineered the SG-1 because it was the least complex.

But it's still going to be about 2 months off. I just order boards for the chorus kit, tribooster kits, and the new phaser kit, so I'm all tapped out at the moment till I sell a few more kits.

new phaser kit??

do tell, my friend!

hopefully a board for a fully modded phaser?? with all 8 stages?

*edit* bust out the slow gear first. you already have it traced out right?

• Members

I'd put myself on a waiting list for the VB-2 kit in a heartbeat. The number of chorus pedals I've hacked apart to attempt getting the VB-2 sound to replace my old one is a testament to how much I miss that pedal.

• Members

Originally posted by TexGtr

new phaser kit??

do tell, my friend!

hopefully a board for a fully modded phaser?? with all 8 stages?

*edit* bust out the slow gear first. you already have it traced out right?

No. It's only 45/90. But it will also have the depth, feedback and univibe mods all integrated into the board so it will be very easy to do those....they will be more a part of the pedal than a mod, but you can still just make the plain old phase 90 if you want.

As for which kit to put out first, like I said...I can't afford to order anymore new circuit boards for another couple of months and I'm sure I'll have the vb-2 hacked by then.

• Members

No. It's only 45/90. But it will also have the depth, feedback and univibe mods all integrated into the board so it will be very easy to do those....they will be more a part of the pedal than a mod, but you can still just make the plain old phase 90 if you want.

sounds good to me!

• Members

As for which kit to put out first, like I said...I can't afford to order anymore new circuit boards for another couple of months and I'm sure I'll have the vb-2 hacked by then.

Ugh... I'm sure that the all included phaser deal will make people happy. My friend and I were pulling our f-ing hair out on that 360 mod trying to figure out what we did wrong!

• Members

Originally posted by palthegiraffe

I'd put myself on a waiting list for the VB-2 kit in a heartbeat. The number of chorus pedals I've hacked apart to attempt getting the VB-2 sound to replace my old one is a testament to how much I miss that pedal.

I kinda want to do the vb2 first too.

The kit will be a little different from the original, but only in regards to the latch/unlatch/bypass knob. First of all, I'm going to do away with the useless "bypass" setting. The kit will be true bypass anyways. That three-way switch will be replaced with a 2 way toggle switch to select between latch and unlatch. The kit will have 2 footswitches. One will be the on/bypass switch. The other will be a momentary switch to control the "rise time" swell when in unlatch mode.

I'd like to try to work out a mod so that the vibe is always on in latch mode, but the depth resets to zero and swells when you step on the momentary switch.

• Members

Originally posted by palthegiraffe

p.s. No need for a wait list. There will be plenty to go around when they kits are ready. I expect the price to be around $90. The BBD chip and extra switching involved will make it one of the most expensive kits.

• Members

Originally posted by cmloeffler

Ugh... I'm sure that the all included phaser deal will make people happy. My friend and I were pulling our f-ing hair out on that 360 mod trying to figure out what we did wrong!

I know several people who have tried, but no one has got it yet....that I know of. It's very difficult. That's why I only went with the 45/90 mod on the new one....much easier...just a dpdt toggle switch...no rotary switch.

Just a suggestion on your phaser. Try hardwiring it without a switch so that you have all 8 phase stages. That way you know you've got that part working. Then go from there and try to get the switch working. Look at the schematic and keep in mind that the 6 phase stages you are shuffiling around are the stages inbetween the first and last. Those 2 are always stationary. When in 45 mode, it is just the first and last stages that are operating. Not the first 2 or last 2 for example or any 2 stages in sequence. So the 4 extra stages that you are adding with the extra board are going to be sandwiched in the middle of the existing 4.

Originally posted by basscracker

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/swell.html

envelope filter clone and the VB-2.

VERY cool! I may just have to build one of these. :) I've owned at least two or three Slo Gears over the years... and they're very cool pedals. Boss hasn't made them for years, and back then (80's), not many people seemed to be interested in them. But I love them for volume swells and faux pedal steel licks. Last time I checked, I coudn't believe what they were going for on Ebay! :eek:

Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume is a commercially built unit that works / sounds similar to the SG, or so they say... I've never tried one / heard one. Has anyone else tried the Guytone? Opinions?

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume is a commercially built unit that works / sounds similar to the SG, or so they say... I've never tried one / heard one. Has anyone else tried the Guytone? Opinions?

It does a great job of what it's supposed to do.

That said, it's a tweaker's pedal through-and-through. A person can't expect to plug in and get amazing reverse delay sounds out of the box (though it's a fairly straightforward effect, especially if you're familiar with envelope pedals).

You have to play with the settings to get it just right, and that could take a week or two of tweaking, playing, and re-tweaking...but patience is a virtue once you start getting the settings you're looking for. For newbies, a compressor can help you even out the sound a bit and make it easier to play with.

(sounds sweeeeet with delay, too!)

Archived