Tonebone Classic users!

• Members

It is a very good pedal capable of a wide range of gain. It covers a lot of the territory of the Hot British but doesn't go quite as over the top. The eq on it is very versatile as well. Overall, a great pedal.

What you want to know specifically? I have both.

• Members

It's the best "tube pedal" I have ever used. Ones that I have owned in the past that were sold on Ebay after playing with the Tonebone:

George Dennis "The Tube"

Butler "Tube Driver"

H&K "Tube Factor"

Mesa V-Twin

Mesa Bottle Rocket

Ibanez Tube King

The Tonebone has a nice midrange punch that helps you cut through the mix in band situations. The midrange hump can be dialed in or out. It has a wide range of gain settings and tone tweaking parameters.

(hi and low and filter controls, brightness)

I've never played a more verstile distortion pedal.

I'm suspicious that it doesn't get all of it's tube distortion from the tube itself....that there might be some diode clipping going on because it has that smooth character and it doesn't seem to need a huge wall wart....which is typical. I sometimes use it in combination with my Keeley modded TS-9. The Keeley seems to be better for pushing an amp alone into clipping. The Tonebone takes more tone control away from the amp and works independent of what the amp is doing.

I have a BadCat 2-Tone which is more of a true tube preamp. It has an internal transformer. The Tonebone sounds better for drive and I use the BadCat for a clean boost mostly.

If I could have only one drive pedal, the Tonebone would be it.

• Members

Originally posted by Arjae

What you want to know specifically? I have both.

Anything, really. How they compare to each other, how they sound through a clean vs. a dirty amp, stuff like that.

I plan on getting one, and I just wanna know lots of stuff about it. I intend to use it for solos, and I need a distortion sound that's smooth and organic, not fuzzy. Pretty much the thickest gain imaginable.

And thanks for your post, guitarcapo, much appreciated. :)

• Members

The Classic is what you want then. It has a broad range whereas the Hot British is pretty much a high gain unit.

I have only run them into clean amps and they both sound really good. But for smoother tones, the Classic will get you there no problem.

• Members

I have a Tonebone Classic. It's currently on loan to a friend. I've been damn impressed with it through clean 6L6 amps (SF Twin and 2x12 Musicman combo). The thing is capable of a wide variety of tones as other have mentioned. I haven't been as knocked out with the Classic through my amp (w/ EL34s) I've been using the SD2in1. Anyway, sounds like the Classic might be just what your after.

• Members

I love mine, for most of the reasons listed above. Very versatile. I was experimenting with it the other day using my Strat w/ Kinman Avn Blues through the ToneBone into an old '70s Fender Bronco. The goal was to get just a bit more gain/thickness, but not even close to distortion.

Well, I got very close with some careful tweaking. Just a bit of a boost in the mids that I couldn't get rid of, but considering that the pedal can go all the way over to the other end with Boogie-type distortion/sustain for days, not bad at all.

I tend to mostly use this pedal to get that liquid lead sound out of a totally clean amp, though you can get a lot in-between as well.

Also, you can get some really fat low end out of it. It can get a bit mooshy depending on where the gain is, but again, very tweakable.

• Members

It's the best overdrive pedal I've ever used. Very versitile, can be smooth or chunky. I never put it past thhe halfway point on the drive, with the drive gain set in the middle position. My only grip is that the mid boost is too strong for my taste, it goes from 7db to 12db, I would like something more subtle like 3db to 7db.

I like to put the boost before the bone, so I can set the drive lower for an AC/DC type of rhythm sound, kick in the boost (Analogman KOT), and you're right into smooth lead tone.

• Members

My thinking is that it's tube combined with diode. Like a tube screamer with tube compression added. Actually I prefer that sound to all tube like the drive I get from my Bad Cat 2-Tone. It's more focused and harmonic. The BadCat does better as a clean boost than a distortion pedal. It doesn't seem to have enough midrange punch to cut through as a band setting.

Maybe I should do some tube swap experiments with the Bad cat.

• Members

Every now and then, I get an OD/Distortion that will bump my ToneBone from my pedalboard, but it always comes back.

The ToneBone is the most versitile OD/Distortion I've ever owned. I have a Blue Boy with a different opamp in it that is excellent, but again the TB wins out in the long run.

I've owned many of the popular OD/Distortion pedals, but the TB provides a range from light OD to rather gainy tones that other pedals can't match - I love it.

BTW, I use an old Amperex 12AX7 in my TB which I liked better than a handful of other 12AX7's I tried in that pedal.

• Members

Originally posted by Arjae

David.... did you get your Keeley OD yet? How is it?

I haven't gotten it yet - Not Robert's fault - I actually asked him to hold onto it until he was sure he was finished with it. And actually that particular one may end up going to a certain legendary guitarist who I think will love it and appreciate it. I suggested to Robert to send it to this person and so I may not actually play the OD myself until the production unit comes out.

I'm not in a hurry though myself - I've been buried in some non-music related projects lately.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by mr2good

Is it worth getting this pedal if I have a tube amp? I want some variety in my tones and while my gain channel on my Peavey Delta Blues amp is nice, I feel like it is pretty one dimensional.

It's absolutely worth it. Either Tonebone will be like adding an extra channel to your amp. The Hot British is very Marshally sounding, like the best cranked/modded JCM 800's. The Classic to my ears sounds kinda Mesa Boogieish...warm, creamy, and sustainy like Santana.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarcapo

It's the best "tube pedal" I have ever used. Ones that I have owned in the past that were sold on Ebay after playing with the Tonebone:

George Dennis "The Tube"

Butler "Tube Driver"

H&K "Tube Factor"

Mesa V-Twin

Mesa Bottle Rocket

Ibanez Tube King

The Tonebone has a nice midrange punch that helps you cut through the mix in band situations. The midrange hump can be dialed in or out. It has a wide range of gain settings and tone tweaking parameters.

(hi and low and filter controls, brightness)

I've never played a more verstile distortion pedal.

I'm suspicious that it doesn't get all of it's tube distortion from the tube itself....that there might be some diode clipping going on because it has that smooth character and it doesn't seem to need a huge wall wart....which is typical. I sometimes use it in combination with my Keeley modded TS-9. The Keeley seems to be better for pushing an amp alone into clipping. The Tonebone takes more tone control away from the amp and works independent of what the amp is doing.

I have a BadCat 2-Tone which is more of a true tube preamp. It has an internal transformer. The Tonebone sounds better for drive and I use the BadCat for a clean boost mostly.

If I could have only one drive pedal, the Tonebone would be it.

hows the Tonebone compared to the V-Twin?

Archived