Blue LED backlash

AMZ-FX

• Moderators

Blue LED backlash:

http://www.dcontinuum.com/content/news.php?id=209

"Blue tends to cause more discomfort and disability glare than other, longer wavelengths," said Dr. David Sliney, an expert on the harmful effects of bright light sources at the U.S. Army Center for Health Promotion and Preventive Medicine in Maryland.

:D

regards, Jack

• Members

what's there to wonder about? blue led's are just way more cool than any other color. granted, clear/white ones are classy, but nothing beats a blue led.

however, i think i'm just biased because i am so sick of seeing {censored}ing red led's on everything. is it really that much more expensive to use different colors?

• Members

Originally posted by cantoXIII

what's there to wonder about? blue led's are just way more cool than any other color. granted, clear/white ones are classy, but nothing beats a blue led.

however, i think i'm just biased because i am so sick of seeing {censored}ing red led's on everything. is it really that much more expensive to use different colors?

yes, and I prefer red LEDs. Blue ones are a marketing gimmick.

• Members

Great to see you're doin well Jack! Did you get much bad weather in your parts?

Folks out west have no power and riddiculous heat. FEMA is passing out ice, water and MRE's. Heat without power to run the AC makes for an uncomfortable situation.

Blue LED backlash. That is way too "metro" to value. First blue LED's I saw on consumer warez was when the PS2 came out. They were the diffused type, I dunno if they were really blue. Anyway, I think I spent $8 on a water clear blue for my PC's HD at Radar Elec back when they were on Queen Anne. So cheap now!

I think a little variety in LED colors is a good thing... and it makes locating certain pedals easier in a dark studio or on a dark stage.

I got tired of always seeing red jewel lamps on Fender amps, so I replaced the one on my Princeton II with a green jewel ... IMO, much cooler. I'd like to see some green LED's on pedals. :)

• Members

I kind of like the old faithful red led, besides the fact that those blue ones are super bright and really hurt my eyes. All I need is to be looking down at a pedal and have my eyes adjust to the blue led, then look away and not be able to see clearly. Fortunately, I only have one pedal in my collection that I can think of off the top of my head that has a blue LED.

• Members
Originally posted by capnbringdown

I kind of like the old faithful red led, besides the fact that those blue ones are super bright and really hurt my eyes. All I need is to be looking down at a pedal and have my eyes adjust to the blue led, then look away and not be able to see clearly. Fortunately, I only have one pedal in my collection that I can think of off the top of my head that has a blue LED.

Maybe you shouldn't do acid when you gig. :eek:

• Members

Many people reviewing the Dunlop EVH Phase 90 complain about the brightness of the blue LED. To me, it's self-defeating to put out a product like that, especially as it is quite often used in dim lights. If they have to go out on a limb like that in their product design, may I suggest they make a more conventional alternative available? Well, I haven't tried it, I'm just shooting the breeze based on the reviews I've read.

• Members
Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

I think a little variety in LED colors is a good thing... and it makes locating certain pedals easier in a dark studio or on a dark stage.

I got tired of always seeing red jewel lamps on Fender amps, so I replaced the one on my Princeton II with a green jewel ... IMO, much cooler. I'd like to see some green LED's on pedals.
:)

Green LEDs are readily available at your neighborhood radio shack! i was going to redo my pedals with bigger red LEDs but they didn't have enough of them, so I bought some green ones. Pretty cool looking.

J

• Moderators

Great to see you're doin well Jack! Did you get much bad weather in your parts?

Folks out west have no power and riddiculous heat. FEMA is passing out ice, water and MRE's. Heat without power to run the AC makes for an uncomfortable situation.

It definitely rained more with this hurricane... the wind was not quite as strong but there were still a few trees down around town. We lost electricity for 24 hours this time... not too bad.

I rigged up a couple of power inverters to my car so we could run a light and a fan... and the boys ran a TV and a PS2... gotta keep 'em busy...

regards, Jack

• Members

I like to use different colors too.

My MiG*Boosts use YELLOW LEDs! How often do you see THAT, huh? :p:cool:

And diffuse blue ones are nice, but they're still more expensive than the clearlense ones (those are around $0.15-0.20 now).

Oh and about the brightness, just use a bigger {censored}in' resistor! I use 22k's on my clearlense blue and pure green ones, and 4k7 on my orange ones. I do have a cheesy pair of Baywatch-Eddy sunglasses on my workbench, just for testing LED brightness and stuff. Oh, a good tip: NEVER place a 6000mcd clearlense LED without a resistor on a 9V block! :eek:
1) you'll probably fry the LED
2) you'll be halfway frying your retina's too. :eek: So be like :cool:

• Members

That article is funny...I don't get that feedback from the thousands and thousands of folks using our pedals. Trust me, if they didn't like it they would let me know.

I will continue to use blue LEDs like we always have. They help identify our pedals. I'm proud we popularized them in effects pedals. We had them before every HP/Compaq computer had them, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, ...okay enough of my pride already!
;-)
rk

Archived