OT: Did I just hear Grandaddy playing on a Honda Civic commercial?

NoirAbattoir

• Members

Relax, it's just the sign of the times. The corporate radio/music business is sooo corrupt. Would you wanna play a gross amount of money to just get your song on a Clearwater radio station or ACTUALLY GET PAID to air a sample of your song....

Personally I wouldn't sell my music for a commerical, but getting on radio means less now than it ever did -imo.

• Members

we're all in it for the money.
Grandaddy tried it before when they were broke and the offer came in to be one of a few bands to try a version of the Beatles "Revolution" for a French phone commercial.
Grandaddy didn't get the commercial and the song ended up on the soundtrack of Sean Penn's "I am Sam"

anyway, there's a standard clause in most of the publishing deals that the publisher has the right to shop around for commercials, sometimes, the artist can add a "right to refuse" clause

but it seems that Moby has been smarter, he knows how to exploit his music

• Members

I totally agree with catgut's comment. Commercials are the new radio. Because radio won't play 95% of the music out there, you almost sort of need to use TV as the way to get some exposure. I doubt I'm the only one who has frantically run to his computer after hearing a catchy song on a commercial, googling in what you thought the lyrics might've said. It's a perfect way for lesser known bands who aren't going to get any airplay or corporate-sponsored attention to get heard.

A good example would be The Walkmen's "We've Been Had" used on a Saturn commercial. I was already a fan of their debut album when it came out, but was surprised at the amoung of friends of mine who were like "What's that song on that car commercial?" and then I could tell them about that band and album. And from what I've read, it allowed those guys to quit the day-to-day jobs that they were also doing in order to focus on the band.

Archived