reverse delay: Danelectro Back Talk vs. Wasabi delay?

hangwire

• Members

I have tried to find a replacement for my DL-4 without luck... Boss DD6, Echo Park were lame...

I found a new in box wasabi delay and it was pretty good... and the owner liteerally forgot in was in thew display under boxes... so I can probably get it for $80 in a few weeks if it doesn't sell... which i doubt it would

is has delay and reverse delayand tap tempo

I don't really need or want tap tempo...

would it be reasonable to think that getting a back talk on ebay would have the same reverse delay sound as it is the same company? I would think so, but the DL-4 vs. ECho Park was a example of how it can be bad to make such an assumption...

anyone know?

• Members

I use a Wasabi delay in my spare/church rig. It's a little fiddly to set up- almost like the knobs aren't really analog and linear, but that they *sort of* link to something digital in there somewhere. For instance, if you set it for lots of repeats then twist the time knob, it doesn't make smooth "spaceship" noises, it sticks at a delay time for a while, then jumps to another.

The quality of the delay is fine- it has a high-cut built in that will darken the repeats if that's your thing. The reverse mode is cool- not far off what the DL-4's reverse does, and it can be set to be louder than the original signal or to 100% wet if you want.

The knobs are quite easy to knock out of place- they don't have that reassuring stiffness you get with BOSS for instance.

I prefer my Dan-Echo (which doesn't do reverse) and my DL-4, but it works fine, and I got it cheap.

BTW, the Back Talk ONLY does reverse delay.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Not sure about how they compare, but the back talk has a very short delay time. I like mine, but I use it for specific parts. I wouldn't realy recommend it as a standalone unit unless you were familiar with the limitations of its delay time.

• Members

i went for the wasabi between the two.

i tried the backtalk out a few times in my friends shop and overall it didn't have enough delay time and it seemed to add an artifical click on the end of the reversed sound.

not too irritating.. actually with shorter delay times it was quit a nice effect. somewhat like a seek wah type of sound, but without jumping frequencies. i had some nice sounds just holding a chord and letting it 'beat' in time - the 'pick attack' at the end of each reversed part acting as a rhythym. combine it with a slow phaser or envelope filter maybe, and you could have a more controllable seek wah type sound.

the back talk also sounded really nice with the run-away oscillations when you push the feedback up to 9 or 10. nice for weird ambience.

i bought the wasabi because it was cheaper and had the delay mode and tap tempo aswell. dthere's no doubt it faithfully reproduces the reversed sound (minus the artificial pick attack tagged on the end) and the hi-cut control is really a necessity if your a noise maker.

i keep the hi cut off if i'm doing arpeggios and clean picking, but when i use my fernandes sustainer guitar those long repeats a the hi-cut turned up high makes some beautifully ambient sounds - almost to the point where it doesn't sound like its actually in reverse, and is just a wash of weird delay. (it's still noticably not like straight delay though).

the tap tempo is a very nice feature. you don't really get that kind of thing in pedals the same price. and it's very useful if you want the reverse sounds to play back in time with the arpeggio etc.

the input switch one the back is designed for switching between normal, high and low output input signals. generally you can just leave it down the middle, but if you have the hi-cut all the way up on reverse mode (and closer to 100% wet), its quite handy for adding a boost to the signal to counteract the loss of brightness. so again, quite a handy feature.

one of the best things about the wasabi though is if you is it as a mini looper (is it 3 seconds of delay?) with feedback all the way up for infinite repeats - you can have it in reverse delay mode, 'record' a bit of guitar then switch it to straight delay mode (the original sound then plays 'straight') and record another part. Then switch it back to reverse mode and you have one guitar part playing backwards and the other part going forwards. repeat, and repeat and repeat as much as you like swapping between the two modes till it becomes a crazy muddle of reverse and straight guitar parts!

haven't really wanted any other reverse pedal since i got the wasabi, although that rhythmic thing the backtalk does still plays on my mind quite a lot.... must..... resist! :D

Archived