Why are vintage pedals always better than reissues?

zinzin

• Members

newer stuff is more consistent, parts are made to much tighter tolerances so out of a run of pedals, they should all sound exxactly the same, vintage pedals are made with wildly varying parts, so some can have the elusive mojo, others may miss out slightly, also things like varying components due to what supplys were available and so on can affect the sound

also, a reissue is trying to copy something else, and however good, will probably always be in its shadow, plus things like upgrades and mods to make them better can throw off the sound slightly, so even if its an awesome pedal, people will still complain it isnt perfect, or if it is perfect, they will complain its not as good as some modern pedal...

David

• Members

Originally posted by Bowie

There's a reason that people pay the big $ for certain vintage pedals. Some of us have good ears and know what good tone sounds like. And, some of us are forunate enough to be able to buy those nice little toys.

That could be part of it.

Another big part of the big bucks is that a vintage pedal is rare and has some mystique bulit up around it, which is not often questioned because the pedal is rare and not many people have actually used it. After spending the past few months looking at and listening to vintage violins, there is a lot of old overpriced crap out there. I think the same would apply to vintage pedals. Especially, as noted here, that there might be tremendous variability between different examples of a given pedal, as there is with violins of a given maker.

• Members

Vintage pedals have also been immortalized. We all know what Jimi used on certain songs, there are entire books written about the gear the Beatles used, etc. So everyone is always trying to go back to get "that" sound, and the easiest way, short of actual talent, is to buy the exact same gear the greats used. Which makes vintage gear more valuable.

J

• Members

We've got nothing on those violin dudes:

"You'd say they sounded different, in the way that two Guarneris would be different, but there are no criteria to determine what sound belongs to what age. You can hear the relation between sound and make. Some Strads tend to be more silvery, brighter, very piercing, or there are later Guarneris with a big, broad animal sound. That's what my Greiner is modelled on."

I have to steal some of their terminology for mods ;)

"But wait a minute. Wasn't there talk a while back about the secret of Stradivarius lying in his closely-guarded recipe for varnish? "If you have a Strad or a Guarneri," counters Tetzlaff, "they are fantastic instruments because they were the best builders, not because they put the varnish on the moon for six years and had a horse pee on it. All this is mythical, and is taking away from the craft of those people."

I thought the best sounding varnish was monkey-come, not horse pee.

• Members

Sometimes the vintage pedal will never be reissued so there you have to go vintage. Some components such as transistors, resistors and capacitors can change with age, and inductors are often times not made with the same materials. Some is mojo some is real, but no matter what if the two are the same price (reissue or real) why buy a reissue?

• Members

Originally posted by Matter-Eater Lad

I would say the vintage MXR's are better because the Dunlop reissues are total {censored}.

the did do a great job on the flanger. damned if i could tell i was playing a reissue when i had one (and i've owned two of the orig). thats not to say Dunlop hasnt foisted some lesser-than-great RI pedals on the public.

Archived