Amp Troubles, less than 30 days old

BAM

• Members

Last month (Holloween actually) I bought a Fender DeVille Deluxe amp after months of searching for the right amp. But, I guess im too picky, so i just went with this one. It wasnt bad. I was looking for something with a nice clean channel, but i later found out that my amp distorts quite easily. But, thatll be part two of the question.

Anyway, today i was playing through it, and i noticed that when i played, it sounded like the speaker was torn. it sounded like i had a fuzz on. i just kinda shrugged it off for the time being (this happen 5 minutes ago) and thought id check it out later. so as i was playing, the signal just suddenly cut out. there wasnt a thing comming from that amp. i plugged in my guitar directly, and the same thing. nothing was happening. i cheked the tubes, all were lit and glowing beautifully. what could have happend? this is liek i said less than 30 days old. got it from guitar center, so ill take it in, but are these amps known for this?

Part II: Now that this one is broken, and to be honest, i was planning on returning it anyway, which amp should i be looking at? the best way to describe the tone i'm looking for is to listen to Red Hot Chili Peppers 'Can't Stop'. That kind of clean; RHCP, Bloc party, etc. etc. Probably nothing more than 40 watts, 40 was fine, could go a little bit over and under. thanks in advance

• Members

They use both actually, but for some reason it kept distorting. i couldnt get anything remotley clean at high volumes. i tried to emulate thier sound just for kicks, listening to the tracks and messing with my amp, couldnt get anywhere close. could the culprit be my guitar? its a MIM fender strat with humbucker. That what i was starting to think. when i tried the amp out in the store, ( a while ago ) i played through it with a tele and it sounded great

• Members

Originally posted by Weatherbox

Shouldn't be the guitar. I had one ages ago and the input jack went bad and sounded like a food processor all the time; apparently that was a very common problem with them. I'd personally look for a Deluxe Reverb, maybe on the used market.

My Fender Blues Deville was a piece of crap. The input on it was broken when I bought it and broken when I traded it to a store (they ahd a tech and could fix it). I am anti this whole headache series of amps.

Funny you said Deluxe Reverb Reissue I was thinking the same thing. Much better amp.

• Members

Originally posted by Weatherbox

Shouldn't be the guitar. I had one ages ago and the input jack went bad and sounded like a food processor all the time; apparently that was a very common problem with them. I'd personally look for a Deluxe Reverb, maybe on the used market.

i'll look into one. how does it responde to pedals? ill probably be throwing in some heavy distortion pedals in, trying to get a metalish sound also. but, clean is what im looking for. the search begins.

bump for the night crowd

• Members

the Deluxe Reverd tends to breakup kinda early and is more known as a good amp to overdrive rather than use for clean head room. However I really like this amp but it doesn't sound like what you want.

I was thinking that for the sound you described the 4x10 deville would be perfect, I haven't actually owned one so I don't know about the reliablity thing.
:confused:

• Members

Deluxe gets pretty loud before it breaks up, and it's nice breakup rather than the awful {censored}ty speaker breakup of the HR series... but if tons of volume and clean headroom is your thing, there is the Vibrolux, and if you've got a strong back, the Twin Reverb, the only amplifier I've ever sold because it was too friggin heavy.

• Members

There are a lot of mods and common fixes for the Devilles. I hated mine, and did about $10 in mods, and really like it a lot more.

Then I went ahead and changed tubes and loved it a little more. And finally changed speakers, and really love it.

Either way, the simple mods make a huge difference. It is quite easy to clean up the muddiness, and to lower the gain to allow more clean headroom

If you are at all interested in testing your soldering skills PM me, and I can give you a few suggestions.

• Members

Originally posted by Brian Marshall

ive been arround a few hotrod devilles and deluxes. the problem you are discribing is typical, but causes vary. And they are not that clean... my old guitarist had one and on 3 the clean channel was kinda dirty... at 5 it sounded like a broken tubescreamer.

yeah thats the case i had. exactly. but then others aobve are saying it gets loud before it breaks up. so was it just the amp? that seems a bit far fetched i guess.

im gonna try out a deluxe reverb this weekend. i want an amp that will break up, and twin reverb from what i hear has to be pushed virtually all the way to do that, so thats probably out too. never tried a deluxe reverb though.

what about a super reverb? i was just looking through fenders website and that clicked. i'll be checking them out this weekend.

Archived