Coming home to find no boxes -- a minor rant

bobby yarrow

• Members

I know there's been no shortage of moaning about this, but I'm going to add to the din.

When I buy something from somebody off this forum, it's not in the hope that I might receive the pedal at some generalized future date. I expect it on my doorstep 3 days later. 4 days, ok. 5 days, rude.

"Shipping included" doesn't mean strapping the pedal to a St Bernard and hoping they make it to my house. It means priority mail or better.

If it was ebay, you wouldn't sit on the pedal til you happened to find some other excuse to go to the post office. You'd ship it the next day. We have no feedback, but we do have a sort of honor system.

And some of you guys abuse it.

Over.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This has happened to me occasionally - that's why I ship USPS Priority so it does get there right away/ I figure if people take the time to click "send money" on paypal - the very least I can do is ship it the same day, or at least the next day (if they paid me in the middle of the night or after 10:00 pm of course - the Post Office isn't staying open that late to wait for me to show up...although it would be nice if they would :D

My ONLY frustration is shipping to overseas and Canada because it seems to take weeks - literally - for the pedals to get there. That bothers me because we're so used to Priority shipping here - it seems to be nothing short of rude for people to wait that long for their goods. :(

• Off Topic Exile

You live in NJ, I live on the West Cost. If you pay me on Monday evening, chances are I'm going to have to wait until Tuesday at lunch to get the package out. If I don't have time to drive to the Post Office (half and hour away) I drop it off at the UPS Store and send it out via USPS Priority with Delivery Confirmation. That mean it isn't even heading out until Tuesday night. The chances of it getting to you by Thursday (your OK window) is highly unlikely, making me either "rude" (if it actually only takes 3 days to get accross the country) or worse.

(And no, I've never sent anything to you, just sayin')

As long as the person ships within 24 hours via Priority Mail I'm happy. They can't control the mail time.

• Members

Yeah man. Cut him some slack. Most stores say to allow 6 weeks for delivery. Musicians Friend takes 3 or 4 days and they have that stuff in a warehouse packaged and ready to go. All they gotta do is print a label and slap it on there. I get impatient around 2 weeks. Then I start checking up on things. After 6 weeks I take a little road trip and do some Dog Bounty Hunter Repo Man Collections.

• Members
Originally posted by SkoolHouseRox

You live in NJ, I live on the West Cost. If you pay me on Monday evening, chances are I'm going to have to wait until Tuesday at lunch to get the package out. If I don't have time to drive to the Post Office (half and hour away) I drop it off at the UPS Store and send it out via USPS Priority with Delivery Confirmation. That mean it isn't even heading out until Tuesday night. The chances of it getting to you by Thursday (your OK window) is highly unlikely, making me either "rude" (if it actually only takes 3 days to get accross the country) or worse.

(And no, I've never sent anything to you, just sayin')

As long as the person ships within 24 hours via Priority Mail I'm happy. They can't control the mail time.

Very valid points as well. Ladies and gents - we have our own Lou Dobbs onboard!

:wave:

• Members

Answering further, cause this frosts my ass a bit --

I'll remind everyone that sheperdspy got me a pedal from Texas to NJ in 1 day, via priority mail. Like, say, I paid on Monday, received on Wednesday. That's 1 day in my counting system.

Anybody who's ever bought anything from me knows the experience.

• Members

while i have to agree that waiting for pedals/goods to arrive sucks ass, i at least give it a week before i start to get kinda frustrated. however, you also have to remember that harmony central is basically a huge black market with great connectivity. this isn't an online store, it's a bunch of people who are likeminded in the things they order most, pedals. not trying to chap your ass or anything...

as a side note, i preordered two vinyls of the fall of troy's new album on july 22nd. that's the day that i sent the payment and order to the distributor. granted, the album didn't actually get released until late august, but i didn't receive the package until mid october. you think 2 weeks is bad? try waiting {censored}ing 3 months, every day checking your mail, wondering if they even sent the damn thing. it sucked, to say the least.

• Members

Originally posted by Hopeless Romantic

10 days is about where I would start to get annoyed. Everyone I have dealt with has been very good about shipping quick though. I have recieved just about everything within 3-5 days.

Good job forumites I have dealt with!

Good job on you too!

I bought a practice amp from HR and he had it to me in 2 days.

Still loving that little box!

• Off Topic Exile

Originally posted by bobby yarrow

No, I was vague. If all the pedals I'm waiting on arrive tomorrow, 3 of you will be at or damn near the 10 day mark. And I don't count the day I pay you.

Ah... now that's unacceptable.

5 days from someone a state away in unacceptable too, in my opinion. I was just saying that as someone who sends stuff out on time it burns me when someone in some remote town in Maine get's pissed because they paid Monday night and it didn't show up for the gig Thursday night.

• Members

Ok, lookit, this isn't a major obstacle to my happiness, but I think it's worth clarifying what I think is fair practice in selling:

1. Send an email confirming receipt of paypal or whatever, saying when you're going to ship.

2. Ship via priority mail or better on the day of payment, the day after that, or worst case the day after that.

3. Send an email when the pedal's been shipped.

4. Call me Francis, and I'll kill you.

By normal methods, most you good guys and I could send a pedal back and forth 3 times in 10 days.

Even if you're too high to remember to ship for 3 days, and too cheap to flip for priority mail, a pedal will make it from anywhere to anywhere in the US in 8 days. Maybe 9.

If we changed the system, so sellers got paid when the pedal arrived, I'm sure all three of my pedals would have been here a week ago.

• Members

Ok, lookit, this isn't a major obstacle to my happiness, but I think it's worth clarifying what I think is fair practice in selling:

1. Send an email confirming receipt of paypal or whatever, saying when you're going to ship.

2. Ship via priority mail or better on the day of payment, the day after that, or worst case the day after that.

3. Send an email when the pedal's been shipped.

4. Call me Francis, and I'll kill you.

By normal methods, most you good guys and I could send a pedal back and forth 3 times in 10 days.

Even if you're too high to remember to ship for 3 days, and too cheap to flip for priority mail, a pedal will make it from anywhere to anywhere in the US in 8 days. Maybe 9.

If we changed the system, so sellers got paid when the pedal arrived, I'm sure all three of my pedals would have been here a week ago.

Any of you homos touch me or my stuff, and I'll kill you.

• Members

I know there's been no shortage of moaning about this, but I'm going to add to the din.

When I buy something from somebody off this forum, it's not in the hope that I might receive the pedal at some generalized future date. I expect it on my doorstep 3 days later. 4 days, ok. 5 days, rude.

"Shipping included" doesn't mean strapping the pedal to a St Bernard and hoping they make it to my house. It means priority mail or better.

If it was ebay, you wouldn't sit on the pedal til you happened to find some other excuse to go to the post office. You'd ship it the next day. We have no feedback, but we do have a sort of honor system.

And some of you guys abuse it.

Over.

the thing you sent to me didin even show up :rolleyes:

• Members

Sorry about the wait you are going through.

The following is a list of vendors and forumites that I have dealt with. I had no problems with any of them. All are highly recommended:

Kimsuzzie
UnkleSlam
McFuzz Maker
Keeley
AnalogMan
The Gainster
turtleheadblues
VicShat
JimVW
Last Nerve
Bob @ The Perfect Note
ThisBrian