Coming home to find no boxes -- a minor rant

bobby yarrow

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

10 days is a bit much. The only time I've ever gotten a pedal in 3 days was when I bought from Tonefactor. I'm a pretty patient person. But I think I see the larger message:
It is all about communication, kids.
PMs or emails about when and where something shipped. Tracking numbers are a must. Type of post should be included (USPS Priority, USPS Parcel Post...etc) and should be agreed upon before shipping. It may be a bit much for a buyer to expect 2 day shipping if it wasn't explicity clarified.

• Members

Keep in mind, I don't count the day I pay. So a certain recent deal involving a London Fuzz made it in 3 days.

For instance, if I pay on a Monday, Friday is 3 days. If I paid on Monday, you shipped on Monday, and I received it on Tuesday, I would count that as zero days.

It may be a dumb way of counting days, but it's a professional habit, coupled with the recognition that nothing can be delivered the same day it's shipped (except by courier).

---

Enough. This was and is a minor rant. It's not a big complaint. It's on the level of people who dont bother dusting off their pedals before shipping them . . . just a little discourtesy. Let's call this thread done, shall we? (Unless Skatan wants to talk about what happened in our deal. That I'd be happy to go into.)

• Members

I'm with you, Mr. Yarrow.

I'm fine with the fact that people aren't going to jump out of their chairs and ship my pedal as soon as the paypal payment goes through.

But if you're selling an item, you have to realize that you're going to need to ship it at some point. Usually, that point is going to be shortly after you receive payment.

So if you're not going to ship until, say, Saturday, then at least let people know that up front. Not after you receive their payment. Not when it's Friday and they're wondering where the pedal is that they paid for the previous Sunday. Before you confirm the deal, say, "I'm probably not going to make it to the post office until ____________ ."

That's just common courtesy. Otherwise it's not unreasonable for me to expect you to mail the package the day after payment arrives. Or even the day after that. That's 2 days, and Priority Mail takes 2 - 3 days for a cross-country shipment. That's 5 days, which is totally reasonable.

It's all about communication. I hate it when I've waited a week to receive something, the seller won't respond to e-mails, and then when they finally do it turns out they waited 4 days, then shipped by FedEx ground.

As a buyer, I prefer shipment by priority mail, and I'll pay the extra buck-fifty that it costs over parcel post (and it's usually cheaper than UPS). But if you're going to send it by some other service, at least have the common decency to let me know when you shipped it, what service you used, and the shipping service's estimate of when it should arrive.

But my main point is that if you know you're selling something, you should be prepared to ship it within a day or two of when you get paid.

• Members

I have a few great transactions with you before, and you are a straight shooter, and I try to deal the same way. Sometimes that pesky work gets in the way, and I have to wait a day or so to ship. I dont get bitchy until 1 week for domestic shipping, and 1 month for international items.

John

• Members

Originally posted by MrSage

Otherwise it's not unreasonable for me to expect you to mail the package the day after payment arrives. Or even the day after that. That's 2 days, and Priority Mail takes 2 - 3 days for a cross-country shipment. That's 5 days, which is totally reasonable.

And, for those keeping score at home, that's what I'd call 4 days. (You get the pay day and the first day after [the 'shipping day'] for free.)

• Members
Originally posted by us2bslim

So Pierce, we've never done a deal. Will we ever?
:cry:

Most certainly. I've already breached my own stupid policy. The policy is out the window.

Having received 5 boxes since the policy was implemented kind of changed my feeling about things. And now I'm just remembering to ask people what day they think they could ship the thing.

Wish I'd beat Brad to the punch on you FF . . . I don't see it for sale in his sig yet tho . . .

• Members

To put an end to a minor teapot tempest, I hope:

I have never accused Skatan, publicly or privately, of intentionally whole-cloth ripping me off.

Skatan, at present, doesn't contend that I intentionally ripped him off.

Apart from that, we have our differences. I'm astonished he'd want to raise the issue, he's astonished that I'm astonished, but in the end I think it's safe to say that neither of us really gives a {censored}.

I value my reputation a lot. Too much. Again, a professional habit. And I go to high dudgeon pretty quickly.

If anybody ever wants to claim I was dishonest in any way in any deal, however small, I will pursue the accusation until it is withdrawn. I will consider the implicit accusation in Skatan's post withdrawn and call the matter closed.

• Members

firstly, i will admit i have only done one deal (trading a couple of pedals) so i am not really as experienced with shipping and so on (i have bought stuff online and so on though), but heres how i would like it...

i have no problems with waiting a little on shipping, i can accept people cant always get to the post office in time and have busy schedules so that can add a couple of days on to the shipping, the only rule being they let me know, so i know that the item wont be shipped for a few days, or not until the weekend or whatever, then i know it wont be coming so dont need to look out for it, or it will be coming in a couple of days so i can get excited

yeah i would always like to get things super quick after i pay for them, but i dont mind waiting a little as long as i get told about it

basically communication, an email to say, yeah, got your cash, i will be shipping it out on whatever day, then a mail when they have sent it, and a reply from me at least when i get the item to say everything is fine or whatnot

David

• Members

I've had bad luck lately. I just filed a claim for an item I purchased on Ebay that was never delivered. I only filed the claim because the seller was unresponsive over two weeks and several e-mails. If there had been some sort of response I wouldn't have had any problem waiting.

Additionally, I shipped a Whammy 2 to capnbringdown and the footswitch broke during shipping. I'm still trying to resolve this problem but capn has been very understanding. I hope that the footswitch gets fixed and everything works out. Communication is key people!

• Members

Originally posted by bobby yarrow

To put an end to a minor teapot tempest, I hope:

I have never accused Skatan, publicly or privately, of intentionally whole-cloth ripping me off.

Skatan, at present, doesn't contend that I intentionally ripped him off.

Apart from that, we have our differences. I'm astonished he'd want to raise the issue, he's astonished that I'm astonished, but in the end I think it's safe to say that neither of us really gives a {censored}.

I value my reputation a lot. Too much. Again, a professional habit. And I go to high dudgeon pretty quickly.

If anybody ever wants to claim I was dishonest in any way in any deal, however small, I will pursue the accusation until it is withdrawn. I will consider the implicit accusation in Skatan's post withdrawn and call the matter closed.

done and done:)

its was so long ago, we were young, what did we know...

narr cheers P

• Members

Wait a second guys...Pierce and Mr. Sage. So in these parts it is not kosher to send via Fedex Ground? I tend to ship that way since it is inexpesive, relatively quick (has been for me atleast), includes tracking and insurance. I didn't realize that Priority was the established method of shipping.

In the end I agree with UglySteepFear that communication is really what is most key. That probably explains why Jim and I had such a good frustration-free trade.

• Members
Originally posted by BmoreTele

I got my Twin 60 from the Rev in 2 days. Iowa to Maryland, no probs. Thanks to you, your High Holy Revlyness.

But I get stuff from UnkleSlam before I even decide to buy it. Plus candy!!

I'll give Rev a half point for the "peanuts."
:D

Yeah, Unkleslam dropping a few candies in the shipment is a nice touch. Great to do business with.

• Members
Originally posted by 5F1G

Yeah, Unkleslam dropping a few candies in the shipment is a nice touch. Great to do business with.

I'm goin to have to start doing it on every order. People are starting to complain if they don't get candy. :)

• Members

Originally posted by loosegroove

Wait a second guys...Pierce and Mr. Sage. So in these parts it is not kosher to send via Fedex Ground? I tend to ship that way since it is inexpesive, relatively quick (has been for me atleast), includes tracking and insurance. I didn't realize that Priority was the established method of shipping.

In the end I agree with UglySteepFear that communication is really what is most key. That probably explains why Jim and I had such a good frustration-free trade.

Yeah, communication is the most important thing.

If you're offering something at, say, $55 shipped, then it's clearly your prerogative to ship it via the cheapest method. As a buyer, I'm more than happy to pony up the extra $2 to ship via Priority Mail, though. In my experience, that has been the most consistently fast way to ship...it's always 2 - 3 days, whereas a FedEx ground shipment from California to New York can take a week or more. (and this is to say nothing of the condition I've had FedEx ground packages arrive in)

It's by no means a hard and fast rule. If you're paying for shipping, you have a right to send it by whatever method you want. But it would be nice to communicate that to the buyer...and perhaps even let them know the difference in cost for FedEx Ground versus Priority Mail so they can choose to pay the extra dollar or so if they want.

• Members
Originally posted by Thelonius

I'm kinda weird like that. I'm not a big hustler here, when I do deals they usually get out quickly, but sometimes depending on what else is going on I'm not very proactive. I don't think I've made anyone wait except one time when I actually forgot to send a pedal that was traded or paid for. Unkle Slam I believe that was, but I got it taken care of.

But even though I'm a slack ass I've never surprised anyone or left anyone hanging.

"you wanna trade this"

"yeah, man but I'm not going to the post office until saturday...so don't be looking for it"

"cool"

:D

And I tell people when I send and how long it should take and when to start looking and all of that stuff too. I keep good communication, I'm just not always the swiftest dude in the universe.

IMO, communication is far more important than speed - or certainly a very fair and reasonable substitute.....

• Members
Originally posted by bobby yarrow

Yeah, I'm done. I'll deal with the people I've dealt with before, but I'm not trying anybody new. Half the people in this thread are like, yeah, I always wait a couple weeks before shipping . . .

{censored} it. I'm going to go buy all 3 pedals new tomorrow, and put the ones I'm expecting on ebay if they ever arrive.

I do understand your frustration and I think more forumites should rail against those who cause these sort of problems....

HC can garner the best deals and the fairest trades plus least cost/fees in sales....But once the "trust" factor is gone - the whole thing threatens to go up in smoke....

:cry:

Archived