MI Audio Tube Zone update

michael_ibrahim

• Members

Hi guys,

I've been mucking around with finishes, and here's a prototype of an all chrome Tube Zone:

TZC.jpg

Now I am toying around with the idea of turing the Tube Zone into a 'Deluxe' by making the 2 internal trimmers external, as well as replacing the 3 position mid switch with a continuous control. So the external controls would be:

Gain

Character - (pre-overdrive bass control for 'mushing' up the sound

Tone - balances between low and high

Mids

Brightness - control the top end content of the pedal

Volume

I might also add an internal trimmer for 'voicing' which can bring in more of the mids and highs, as I know that there are people who feel that the TZ has a bit too much low end (so raising the mids/highs can balance that out).

Now none of this is definite. I just want to get an idea about what people think of this.

• Members

Definitely like the 6 knob version over having to open it up to adjust controls. The single continuous mid control would be an improvement over the switch too.

I voted for the chrome version because this is your flagship pedal and the 'unfinished' aluminium box does look a little 'backyardish' compared to your powder coated fuzz pedals for example.

I'm suprised chroming costs another $20...is that normal? I actually think chromed pedals are a little over done but the TZ is one of the few where it suits the effect IMHO.

• Members

6 knob chrome is cool:cool:

The one thing that has held me back from buying the Tube Zone is that even though just about everyone seems to love the tone, a number of reviews seem to always mention a fair amount of noise as well. Is this true? I want to use it in the studio with a mic'd amp so noise is an issue for me. Live would not be a problem.

• Members

6 knob deluxe gets my vote, but i do like chrome. It's merely the extra money that made me vote no-chrome.

Don't know if I could resist though; Extra tweakability + Extra shiny = Extra worth it! :)

I've been wanting a TZ for a while now, but i may wait a little longer for a 6 knob version; keep us posted!

• Members

Hi Gatordoc,

Yes, the Tube Zone does have a bit of noise, but you need to keep in mind (and not many people realise this) that the Tube Zone has more gain than any other overdrive or distortion pedal that I am aware of. For example, it has nearly 3 times the gain of a Boss Metal Zone. So yes, cranked, it will generate audible noise. But for matched gain, it is probably quiter than an equivalent pedal with the gains set to the same amount. I've used very low noise electronics in there (technically, the opamp used has about 4nV/SRQT(Hz) noise figure, and the transistors are ultra low-noise/high transconductance BC549C).

Besides, most of the noise that people hear is actually generated in the guitar and cables. But to the fact that the TZ is very high gain, any noise from the guitar is amplified a lot. A good experiment for testing this out is to crank the gain, and turn the guitar volume all the way down. The noise you'd here then is the noise of the pedal itself (and also some noise from the guitar cable). Next, turn the guitar volume all the way up. The extra noise generated here is from the guitar and amplified by the pedal. My experience has been that the noise generated by the guitar is many times greater than the self noise of the TZ. So to a large extent, the noise is actually not coming from the Tube Zone itself, but rather is amplified noise from the guitar.

I hope this info helps!

Archived