MI Audio Tube Zone update

michael_ibrahim

• Members
Originally posted by The Gainster

Chrome and one knob!

You're not describing yourself here? :D

Actually, having two models; one a budget model like the current non- chrome three knob one with internal trimmers, and a deluxe version with 6 knobs in chrome seems like a good compromise which would cover just about everyone's requirements whether it's cost considerations or need for more or less adjustability.

I should add that I had the original version (albeit in a custom 2 in 1 version) with the 3 knobs, no timmers, and only a 2 position mid switch. I doubt that the 6 knobber will be too much for plug'n'play guys like me...Michael's seem to be very intuitive as far as quickly dialing tones easily. More range will cover more tonal nuances and setups.

When are you likely to have the newer version available Michael?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I've just been looking into the Tube Zone as a good Dream Theater type tone pedal. I'm very impressed with the range of sound samples.

It just makes me curious if you are planning any D*mble sounding pedals now that the Hermida Zendrive has single handedly created that sound in the pedal market. I'd guess that you could do it if anyone besides A. Hermida can.

I've heard a sound sample of the Crunchboy, can you explain details of that any any other future releases?

• Members

Originally posted by carltonh

It just makes me curious if you are planning any D*mble sounding pedals now that the Hermida Zendrive has single handedly created that sound in the pedal market. I'd guess that you could do it if anyone besides A. Hermida can.

The Blues Pro can actually get you pretty close if you tweak it right.

Reminds me, I need to get mine back... I lent it to someone

• Members
Originally posted by Merkin

The Blues Pro can actually get you pretty close if you tweak it right.

Reminds me, I need to get mine back... I lent it to someone

Yeah, or Blue Boy Deluxe with the right chip.

Then, and only then can you offer the promise to sound like someone else's pedal.;)

• Members

Originally posted by gatordoc

a number of reviews seem to always mention a fair amount of noise as well. Is this true?

I have one and have compared the noise to other pedals. If you're using it for medium to higher gain applications, the noise is no more than any other pedal. If you're using it for a mild overdrive/boost, it does produce more noise than the typical pedal at that level and it's probably not the best pedal for those applications.

Although, it can get into the high gain, it really is a tubescreamer type pedal and gets too compressed IMHO. Dream Theator? I'm thinking No.

Any application where a tubscreamer type tone is desired, this pedal is nice ... and will be more dynamic and "Hi Fi" than the original (I have an '82 TS9). It has a boutique pedal vibe, rather than a real amp tone, but this a popular type of tone; like it or not. It also has a nice class A vibe, kind of a hidden sizzle, that's pretty classy.

The current shell corrodes and is easily scratched ... a change is needed. Having worked for a manufacturer with music industry ties for six years, I can tell you price is more important than looks at this point in this product's life cycle. The book "Crossing the Chasm" needs to be read. The selling point needs to be it's vibe.

• Members
Originally posted by carltonh

Gulliverseyes,

It sounds like your describing one of the MI Blues Boy or Blues Pro pedals instead of the Tube Zone, because the Blues ones are very Tube Screamer rooted, but none of the Tube Zone samples I heard were Tube Screamer-ish.

Yeah, I don't know how it was dialed-in in the samples, but it sure didn't make my playing sound like that ... maybe I need to get a better guitar player :freak:

Many have said it can sound like the above pedals when at lower settings. I'm sure it does, but it still keeps it's tube screamer roots when dialed up IMHO. I compared it dialed hot side-by-side to my H&K Tube Factor, which is a preamp in a box type pedal, no comparison. The Tube Zone is way more compressed and processed sounding with a really fast attack and a tube screamer type grind and note envelope. Sure, it's hotter than my TS9, but it sure doesn't become more dynamic as it's driven harder.

I'm not saying it's bad when set up for high gain, just expect a more processed, compressed tone with a tube screamer type grind. Not bad, just different. More fusion-like in my way of thinking.

"Processed" is not bad, it's the way I describe any pedal that doesn't sound like an amp driven on it's own. Pedals can sound like pedals, they sure play a huge role in modern music.

Archived