recommend me a budget guitar

pontiusplaymate

• Members

My wife's sister is in the market for a new guitar, and she's turned to me for advice on what to get. She's got an epiphone sg from guitar center that she giving a test run...and she likes it quite a bit.

I'm thinking she'd like something that sounds similar...w/ p-90's or humbuckers. She likes indie type stuff...unfortunately, I don't know what kind of amp she has.

She'll prolly be doing mostly singersongwriter type stuff. I've recommended she look into some of the ibanez artcore guitars. What kind of stuff would you guys recommend? I'm thinking around 4-6 hundred bucks.

• Members
Originally posted by ColorsoundKid

This would do nicely. It's the AS73 model. Around $300 bucks, but just as nice as some more expensive $500 dollar guitars. The pickups are good enough to use to gig.

AS73TCR.jpg

I've got this one in sunburst, and it is very nice. about one step and $150 up from this is the Yamaha SA500, and it is EXTREMELY nice. very, very nice guitar. i just tried it today, and i'm thinking about scrounging some money up and trading my AS73 with some cash on top for it.

• Members
Originally posted by ColorsoundKid

This would do nicely. It's the AS73 model. Around $300 bucks, but just as nice as some more expensive $500 dollar guitars. The pickups are good enough to use to gig.

AS73TCR.jpg

those are nice looking
the price has had me thinking about them for a while now
I know someone that got one and is very happy

• Members

some of the jay tursers are realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly nice...my 134dc is da bomb....like an old ibanez george bensen almost, quilt top, cherry burat, gold hardware...SWEEEEEEEEEEET neck...new about 450 or so...
the electric 12 strings are mighty happening, too...and both have slightly smaller necks, they may fit her hand better than the ibanez, which are a lot wider.

• Members

thanks for the suggestion everyone.

I'm looking for something that will sound good out of the box, as shes a girl and won't want to mess with swaping electronics and stuff.

I was thinking about recommending a reverend, but I want her to get one she can try first. I'll feel like a jackass if she ends up with a guitar she hates.

I'll definitely look into all those mentioned and any other you guys can recommend. thanks!

• Members

take the pickguard off, it gets in the way of the knobs...
i have the antique sunburst one.

http://m123.misupply.com/Jay-Turser-Guitars-JT134DC-i80766.music

and the price is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY right...
even the pickups ain't too bad....at least they didn't squeel on mine (i held it up to a cranked fender hotrod deville to see if it'd squeal when i first tried it....still, putting gibson 500t and 57 classic improved it significantly)...
and the neck is SWEEEEEEEEEET bro...

269x479jt134dc.jpg

139x248jt134dc&pink.jpg

• Members

+1 on the Artcore series. I had the AF75T with the Bigsby and I thought the p'ups were a nice mid-range tone, that it was nicely finished all around, and as long as I kept the nut lubed that thing could be dive-bombed a la EVH and still stay in tune. :D Squealed a little at high volume, though. Had to use a gate.

If she wants a solid body, the basic Peavey Generation EXP without the acoustic p'ups are also excellent at $175. Not bad at all.

Minhommad

• Members

Originally posted by pontiusplaymate

My wife's sister is in the market for a new guitar, and she's turned to me for advice on what to get. She's got an epiphone sg from guitar center that she giving a test run...and she likes it quite a bit.

I'm thinking she'd like something that sounds similar...w/ p-90's or humbuckers. She likes indie type stuff...unfortunately, I don't know what kind of amp she has.

She'll prolly be doing mostly singersongwriter type stuff. I've recommended she look into some of the ibanez artcore guitars. What kind of stuff would you guys recommend? I'm thinking around 4-6 hundred bucks.

I really liked the Epi Alley Kat more then the artcore but they are definitly the same vibe and that stuff is real subjective anyway....Good thing is all those Home Depot type guitar centers have a slew of both to check out....The Alley Kat I picked up screams indie street cred with the bigsby, the p-90's and the art deco turquoise finish....They had several models and finishs available and mine was more on the high end feature wise. I like the semi hollow body with a single cutaway and a master volume set up mine has...I got a deal on mine for 350 or so because I knew the salesman but I think it was selling at $450 or so. For the dough it's a real nice soundin and playin guitar...Actually it's a good guitar irregardless of the dough...Oh and I've never swapped electronics or anything like that. Totally stock.

Archived