Compression pedals. What have you tried?

bobbtoz

• Members

I'm digging the tones I'm getting w/ my maxon CP9 Pro through my shiva. I use this as a boost and to add sustain. I'm interested in some of the compression pedal you guys have tried and what you did or didn't like about them. I'm specifically interested in ones that have really good sustain while retaining their transparancy.

Here are some of the pedals I've read good things about, but will probably never get a chance to play w/ out buying.

Dan Armstrong Orange Crusher/ Squeezer

Lee Jackson Orange Masher

Keeley Compressor

Ect...

Keep in mind I use the compressor/ sustainer to boost the amp and add sustain. For some reason at this time I'm dig'n the compressor/ sustainers as a boost over my OD pedals w/ the shiva. I looking for that long hot rodded sustain tone w/ out over saturating the shiva and turning the tone to mud. The Maxon CP9 is the best I've tried so far (I've tried boss CS-3 and Maxon CP101).

Thanks Bob T.

• Members

I've tried the Boss CS3, Visual Sound Route 66, and the MXR Super Comp. I was recently in the local music store and picked up one of those new Behringer CS100 compressors for $19. I was surprised by it - it's actually not bad for mild compression. However in the words of U2, "I still haven't found what I'm looking for". I keep hearing about the Barber Tone Press, so that's probably next on my list to check out, although Keeley seems to be at the top of a lot of people's lists. However, for recording I use a Focusrite rackmount studio compressor which has a tube emulation circuit and sounds amazing.

• Members

I've owned the Boss CS-3, the MXR Dynacomp, the Barber Tone Press and the Maxon CP-101

the Boss never inspired me to keep using it..

the Dynacomp was lots of fun, but as my playing improved it became unnecessary.. it also made me lose too much of the higher frequencies..

the Barber Tone Press was incredible and eventually I sold it because I had stopped using it when playing primarily high gain..

the Maxon CP-101 I use for it's subtlety.. it sounds wonderful and I never turn it off.. I use it to keep the bass from ever booming and from keeping everything smooth and clear.. it never takes away any of my sound.. I love it to death.

• Members

I've used the compROSSor from analogman and the emma compressor. The analogman unit was perfect with a stratocaster, but I didn't love it as much when I switched to a Ric as my main guitar. The emma is a lot more versatile, having attack and release settings in addition to ratio and volume. I've been in and out of love with it. Currently sort of out, but I just put it back on my board so we'll see.

I suspect that most of the sustain you're getting is from the boost, not from the compression. Unless you're strictly a 'lead' player and you have that sucker really cranked.

• Members

I had an old Ibanez which was too shrill for me. Then i got a CS-2 which was very cool, but it killed all my high end.

General Guitar Gadgets squeezer clone was great, shouldn't have sold it.

Currently i'm happy with my modded grey box DOD 280 and my Tone Press. Both are excellent.

• Members

I've had

Dano Surf and Turf

DOD Milkbox

EHX Soul Preacher

Boss CS-1 (MIJ)

Janglebox

My goal with all was to get Byrdsy chime. The Janglebox, as expected came closest, but was incredibly noisy in the Bright (most Byrdsy) EQ setting and picked up a lot of RF. Next best was the DOD Milkbox...

I still haven't found exactly what I want or need, though. May be looking to try something new: the Tone Press seems like a great option with its blend capabilities; and the other one I'm eyeing is the HBE one (sported by Teahead, who gets some major tone when used in conjunction with his Tele and Vox, which coincidentally is the same as my rig).

• Members

Originally posted by Blungo

I had an old Ibanez which was too shrill for me. Then i got a CS-2 which was very cool, but it killed all my high end.

General Guitar Gadgets squeezer clone was great, shouldn't have sold it.

Currently i'm happy with my modded grey box DOD 280 and my Tone Press. Both are excellent.

I'll second the GGG OS-1, it's a great sustainer type compressor.

• Members

Ive tried the HBE CPR and the Demeter Compulator. I own the HBE. It rocks. It just sounds so natural. It just takes my tone and makes it sound more alive. Its definitely not the most transparent compressor, but it definitely makes my roomates solid state crate junk sound more alive.

• Members

Owned or extensively played...

MXR Dynacomp

DOD Milkbox

Ross (original)

Keeley

Barber Tone Press

Boss CS-3

MXR SuperComp

Marshall Compressor

Only one I have kept from the bunch is the Barber Tone Press and if anything knocks it off my board I'll be surprised...however, I have yet to try any of the Orange variety although I should hopefully have the new Squeeze Factor by the end of the week.

IMO there are 3 kinds of compressors...1) Ross and their clones, 2) Dan Armstrong Orange and their clones, and 3) Barber Tone Press. The blend knob is just something you do not get in any other comp out there.

• Members

I've tried a bunch, had a bunch, but now I own one, and if anything ever happened to it, I'd purchase another within 4 sec. , I just love this compressor. It just fits me, there's none of that annoying "popping" sounds when you palm mute. I don't work for this company, but might as well should. 75% of my board has been mod'd by the man, the myth, the legend, Mike a.k.a. Anlogman.

I use his Comprosser, small unit with the attack on the outside. Never turn back, I totally respect Robert as well. For he puts out some dank old shat! But my vote is for the ,,,,,,

Analogman Comprosser:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Blungo

What have you heard?

Vintage Dynacomp, just about every Ross clone (analogman, keeley, etc.), Boss's crappy comp, Maxon...

I should state that I really don't like the tone of Ross or Dynacomp type of comps, they sound fake to me.

What I love about the Demeter, is that it's extemely transparent, I keep it set pretty mild too. I would be interested in trying the Barber Tone Press...

• Members

I owned a vintage Ross Compressor, I didn't like it, too much mud.

I own a vintage Boss CS-2, I still have it, but I don't like it, too much mud.

I use a Barber Tone Press, that one is just right, I really like the blend knob.

I also kind of like the compression on my Boss GT-3 multi-effects processor, it's pretty subtle.

• Members

I was never a fan of compression, but since I mainly started to play single coils I needed something to fatten them up, so I tried the Tone Press. Now it's on all of the time : a bit of clean boost, a little sustain...sublte, but I wouldn't miss it.

Tried the CS, didn't like it at all, the Route 66 is ok, but the blend knob on the Tone Press makes it the winner.

Jan

• Members

CS-3, DynaComp, Tone Press, Guyatone ST-2

I think the tone press is probably the best sounding for those who tend to use it a lot, or use if for a boost which it's actually really good for. The dynacomp I had was a reissue which was a bit noisy and weird sounding. However, I jus found a pre-dunlop dyna comp and I'm in love with what it does to my sustain and my tone and there is a lot less noise than the newer ones. I prefer this over the tone press which I ended up selling in favor of the old dyna comp.

The St-2 was good also, it kind of took the tone of the dyna comp and added the blend feature of the tone press. It's somewhere in between the two which sounded great. Highly recommended also.

Archived