The price of analog delays

Ray18

• Members

The cause for the price hike is the increasing rarity of the IC's used in the delay boxes, so I'm told

If there's a deman for analog delays, why aren't companies making new chips?

or are they, and we're paying $300 a pedal to make up for the production costs?

what chip numbers are used in the Dm-2's btw? this is the one of I hear is the most sought after

thanks!

• Members
Originally posted by Ray18

The cause for the price hike is the increasing rarity of the IC's used in the delay boxes, so I'm told

If there's a deman for analog delays, why aren't companies making new chips?

or are they, and we're paying $300 a pedal to make up for the production costs?

what chip numbers are used in the Dm-2's btw? this is the one of I hear is the most sought after

thanks!

the chips in the dm-2 are mn3005 if I remember correctly. The chip makers will make you anything if you have the $ for bigger runs. Digital delays are much more affordable, and can sound equally as good as analog, require less chips to make a reasonable delay. the last time I looked you could still get a used deluxe memory man for around $150.
:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by NashRawk

(not to get off topic BUT)

how do the reissue ad-9's stack up against the originals? just curious...

Pretty good, they sound v. similar to my ears, given that every AD9 I've ever tried sounded slightly different anyway.

Also has a trimpot in the battery compartment so easily tweakable to tweak.

• Members
Originally posted by Ty Gerhardt

I only paid $60 for mine brand new...the shop had them mismarked.
:)

You should've bought all they had, sold them, and pocketed the difference.

Btw, I got my analog delay for dirt ass cheap, but its one that nobody has probably heard of before (signalflex), not long enough for me really, though I was having some fun with it today with it and amp trem.

• Members

You can get Danelectro analog delays really cheap...I've not heard them if analog's what you're after you might give them a try

I'm not a digital guy at all but IMO analog delays are horrible. I'm your basic "Les Paul into Marshall Slash Ace Frehley Pentatonic" type of guy so I thought I'd love anything analog. All my other pedals are...MXR Electro Harmonix type of stuff but my delay is the BOSS DD-20...an amazing but yes Digital pedal!!!

Ok rant off

• Members
Originally posted by Ty Gerhardt

I was going to buy two of them, but they only had three in stock at that price and I bought the last one.
:(

althought I loved that pedal, you would think for the price it would have a better bypass switch :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by whpprsnpprr

You can get Danelectro analog delays really cheap...I've not heard them if analog's what you're after you might give them a try

I'm not a digital guy at all but IMO analog delays are horrible. I'm your basic "Les Paul into Marshall Slash Ace Frehley Pentatonic" type of guy so I thought I'd love anything analog. All my other pedals are...MXR Electro Harmonix type of stuff but my delay is the BOSS DD-20...an amazing but yes Digital pedal!!!

Ok rant off

er, the dano one is digital, i believe..

thres a ton of little no name anlog delays out there, alot of them japanese

• Members

Originally posted by seifukusha

er, the dano one is digital, i believe..

thres a ton of little no name anlog delays out there, alot of them japanese

+1 The Dan Echo, PB&J and Slap echo are all digital. They're not bad pedals but compared to real analog delays, they just don't cut it.

Even the little no-name analog delays go for decent money these days. My personal favourite no-name AD is the Ken-multi analog delay. The Pearl AD-08 is my favourite of all the analog delays even though I have some other really tasty analog delays (Memory Lane, DMM, DM-2, DM-3 etc.).

The only genuinely cheap and new analog delay out there right now is the Arion SAD-3 (which I have and will take offers on). It's OK but does'nt have any character compared to the older and/or higher end analog delays.

• Members

We talk alot about high demand vs. new production and you really have to consider that high demand to us is nothing compared to real market demand in the economy. A chip company isnt making chips for us so we can be snobs about the latest 500.00 analog delay. They would much rather produce the electronics for the latest electronic toys that will move millions of units in the holiday season.

• Members
Originally posted by NITEFLY182

We talk alot about high demand vs. new production and you really have to consider that high demand to us is nothing compared to real market demand in the economy. A chip company isnt making chips for us so we can be snobs about the latest 500.00 analog delay. They would much rather produce the electronics for the latest electronic toys that will move millions of units in the holiday season.

+1. There's a guy who understands. Now if Boss were to approach a chip maker and say they'll need 10,000,000 analog chips in the future, that might be a a different story - but that's not going to happen. :cool:

• Members
Originally posted by TheAtomicJeff

+1. There's a guy who understands. Now if Boss were to approach a chip maker and say they'll need 10,000,000 analog chips in the future, that might be a a different story - but that's not going to happen.
:cool:

I think its pretty well proven that BOSS isnt into reissueing pedals. They use demand for vintage effects to sell their multieffects which contain often superior versions of the original effects. Except for analog delays, I would say the clones in the multieffects sound and track better for less than you can buy the orignal for. NAMM is in two months though, I think well be seeing at least one new compact pedal. Not a new effect entirely but maybe a new chorus variant or even a new phase shifter to keep up with the extra features on the BF3

Archived