Need distortion or overdrive pedal

anonpostguy

• Members

I generally use the gain channel from my amp for an overdrive, however, I'm going to be playing some songs where I need a more straight up distorted sound. The sound I am after is the guitar on Escape Club's Wild Wild West and Cumbawumba's Tuthumping. I need it to sound very full with lots of gain because I will be playing keys with my right hand and fretting with my left. Since I never use pedals for my overdrive/distortion I'm hoping someone here can help me zero in quickly on the pedal I am looking for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Anonpostgjuy

• Members

But will those get me the sound I am looking for? I want to steer clear of the buzzsaw sound. I used to have the Boss Heavy Metal Pedal years ago and never liked that buzzsaw sound. I am looking for big full saturation but with the clarity to still hear the notes ring.

Thanks,
Anonpostguy

• Members

I strongly back the Ibanez TS-9 Overdrive pedal, I back it even further if you get my man Mike, at www.analogman.com to give it a Silver or Brown Mod, the difference in Clarity and Control is amazing. Definetely check it out as far as OD go. Now if you want a heavier more distortion like, the ProCo Rat is good, so is the DS-1 Mod, I use a Maxon SD-9 of course modified by Analogman to a Super Mod., this thing will tear through concrete. It is just unbelievable what a few minor modifications can do. If you go standard, the DS-1 is probably the most common pedal used by today's musicians. I am not a big phan of Digitech, so I really wouldn't go that way, Boss and Ibanez are two brands I will stick with the rest of my life! :D

• Members

Everybody's ears are different. Some pedals sound better with some amp/pickup combinations than others. If you want to be sure what sound you are going to get I advise going to the trouble of taking your amp and guitar to a store where they have a good variety and will let you try out several.

• Members

For an amp I am using a Traynor YCV50Blue which has EL34's. The gain channel is great but the clean channel is not as punchy as a YCV40, which has a 6L6 type tube. I don't think an overdrive will do the sound I am looking for. I think a distortion pedal has the particular type of saturation and gain structure I hear in the songs I mentioned.

Keep the thoughts coming. I really appreciate the feedback.

Thanks,
David

• Members

Try a Keeley modded TS-9, for a nice thick rhythm sound and some bluesy leads, but still some tranparencey.

Or a Keeley modded DS-1 for some really heavy crunch and singing leads.

Or a MJM Foxey Fuzz for non-transparent volin-like sustain and tsunami's of distortion.

Archived