Emo is today's hair band.

papa taco

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I came to this realization when I turned on the radio and they played some {censored} called "My Chemical Romance." It was hair metal redressed as something slightly different. It was essentially a ballad of gaydom. No wait, that's an insult to gay people.

ps. I'm a gay rodeo clown.

• Members

Yeah, and I hate it like my parents hated 80's metal. Funny thing about My Chemical Romance is they are the only band I can really tolerate although they seem a bit more punkish than EMO.

Hell, when you're forced to listen to Green Day all day by three rock stations owned by the same corporation, you'll accept anything different.

• Members

Hmm.. emo started in the late 80's, didn't it.. and nowadays "everything" is called emo. In the beginning it was close to early hardcore.. And that is definitely not popular these days..

I'm very fond of what they call Emo Indie, or simply Indie or Indy. Glorybox is one of my favourites, very close to Mogwai in sound. Definitely not a fad, these people make good, relaxed music.

The "original" emo, though.. music sounds to me like a teenage riot of some sort..

• Members

It has the same qualities. There was some good stuff at first, and a real underground scene that was pretty cool. Then the recording execs figured out they could sell it to teenage girls and boys weather the bands were actually any good or not, and the market was flooded, bringing the overall quality of the genre down, and pissing off those of us who were kinda into the earlier, not crappy stuff (like me) and making it all annoying.

And I still like My Chemical Romance.:thu:

• Members

Old "emo" and todays "emo" are very different things. For starters I think emo is the stupidest genre name anyone has ever came up with. Bands like Fugazi used to be called emo by some, I love Fugazi. Bands like hawthore heights are called emo now by most, I HATE hawthorne heights. To recap FUGAZI AWESOME, hawthore heights LAME! Emo was just the next thing for mtv and radio to jump on and devour before moving onto something new.

Does anyone else think its weird that the same time hair bands came back, dancy new wave music came back.

Lucas S.

• Members

Originally posted by powerplayj

Yeah, and I hate it like my parents hated 80's metal. Funny thing about My Chemical Romance is they are the only band I can really tolerate although they seem a bit more punkish than EMO.

Hell, when you're forced to listen to Green Day all day by three rock stations owned by the same corporation, you'll accept anything different.

MCR is pretty punkish, because it's no secret the band is hugely influenced by AFI. Hell, their first album sounded almost only punk/hardcore, moreso than "emo"....

AFI feels like an ancient band compared to MCR, though.

That being said I really dig MCR. I can't help it. And I like that the singer dresses up in mascara and all, call me gay if you will, but it's a guilty pleasure.

• Members
Originally posted by Lucas S.

Old "emo" and todays "emo" are very different things. For starters I think emo is the stupidest genre name anyone has ever came up with. Bands like Fugazi used to be called emo by some, I love Fugazi. Bands like hawthore heights are called emo now by most, I HATE hawthorne heights. To recap FUGAZI AWESOME, hawthore heights LAME! Emo was just the next thing for mtv and radio to jump on and devour before moving onto something new.

Does anyone else think its weird that the same time hair bands came back, dancy new wave music came back.

Lucas S.

Does that mean grunge/"alternative rock" will come back? Because that would be pretty awesome just so long as the bands measured up. I really can't imagine another Nirvana or Smashing Pumpkins... :(

+1 on the "emo" term being kind of lame. I thought Sunny Day Real Estate was emo.... Hawthorne Heights just sounds pop.

• Members
Originally posted by UncleDig

You're not punk

And I'm tellin everyone

Save your breath

Cause you never was one

You don't know

What I'm all about

Like killing cops

And reading Kerouac

To be honest, the most "punk" music I've heard any time recently is probably Mindless Self Indulgence, but I think 90% of people would disagree with me on this. :D

• Members

I have big problems with most bands that are considered "Emo" today. Hawthorne Heights is easily in the top 3 of worst bands today. They have no originality, and are just about impossible to listen to without keeling over in pain from bleeding ear drums. That is, of course, unless you actually like them, in which case you'll soon be keeling over from lack of brain cells.

I'm not a big fan of Fall Out Boy, either. Although I don't really consider them to be Emo, most people who like that genre also like Fall Out Boy. The Sugar We're Going Down song was the worst thing on the radio for some time, or rather it would of been, had Hawthorne Heights not just released Ohio Is For Lovers (brr). I do however, like Fall Out Boy's new single, Dance Dance, in which case it may be a case of touch and go fandom with me and these guys. I have a few friends who like them, though, so I'm willing to put up with it.

I do however like quite a few bands that have been kind of mixed in with the genre. I think that The Killers is one of the best bands out there right now. I'm also a huge fan of My Chemical Romance (lay off them, papa:mad: ). I think that they have a very good sound, and i don't care what you might say about me for saying this: I seriously liked Helena. I think Way showed great talent for being a singer and a frontman in that song. I also liked Ghost of You, though not as much as Helena.

I'm also a big fan of Interpol. They're one the bands that are closer to the original Emo, although now they'd be defined as more Emo Indie. Still a really cool band, with an awsome drummer.

As for the original Emo bands, I'm an over the top fan of Tears for Fears. I do not, however, like The Cure. Just not my schtick.

• Members

Originally posted by UncleDig

You're not punk

And I'm tellin everyone

Save your breath

Cause you never was one

You don't know

What I'm all about

Like killing cops

And reading Kerouac

Yeah for jawbreaker fans!!!

For the record I don't think MCR is anywhere near the realm of punk or hardcore.

Lucas S.

• Members
Originally posted by papa taco

I think the point is, if you're going to wear make-up, you better actually {censored}ing rock the cock. Or yer a poseur.

:wave:

I can live with that.

Though now I want to work Orgy into the conversation somehow... :freak:

• Members

Originally posted by workinclasszero

I think we can all agree that there the guitarists in hair bands are more talented that those in emo bands.

Hell yeah!

I take Warren DeMartini, George Lynch or Reb Beach over all those emo poseurs ANY TIME.

But then again, I still like some 'hair' metal. Not the post '87 Winger/Poison/Danger Danger, but early Dokken/Cr

Archived