OT: RIP Crocodile Hunter

b3keys

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not trying to defend anybody who throws "serves them right" when talking about the recently departed ... BUT ...

Celebrity is a funny thing ... and Mr. Irwin certainly traded in that currency heavily ...

I won't be as crass to say "you get what you get" when you're a "star" and that celebs deserve no consideration when it comes to privacy or the phenomenon of complete stangers offhandedly discussing your death on message boards ...

... but that IS the nature of the fame beast ... when you "agree" to become famous, you give up a lot of "rights" that normal folks take for granted ...

And let's not even talk about Karma ... I mean karma ... or even just odds ... animals are dangerous ...

I wonder if this is the way he imagined himself dying?

• Members

Originally posted by Diametro

Not trying to defend anybody who throws "serves them right" when talking about the recently departed ... BUT ...

Celebrity is a funny thing ... and Mr. Irwin certainly traded in that currency heavily ...

I won't be as crass to say "you get what you get" when you're a "star" and that celebs deserve no consideration when it comes to privacy or the phenomenon of complete stangers offhandedly discussing your death on message boards ...

... but that IS the nature of the fame beast ... when you "agree" to become famous, you give up a lot of "rights" that normal folks take for granted ...

And let's not even talk about Karma ... I mean karma ... or even just odds ... animals are dangerous ...

I wonder if this is the way he imagined himself dying?

Does not matter that should still not be said. Not like the guy was a dick to anyone or anything.

• Members

Originally posted by MartinHines

More information about the accident. Talk about bad luck...

Info about Stingray barbs:

Interesting.

Reminds me of a much less organized, less "together" fellow named Timothy Treadwell (aka "Grizzly Man").

Both were very passionate, at times dangerously grandiose men who pushed the envelope a bit too far in the end.

Over-the-top personalities like these guys are strangely inspirational, though, are they not?

• Members

Originally posted by swardle

He deserved it.

He made a career out of teasing animals.

Serves him right.

thoughtless comment from an insecure little man that doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut.

you demonstate a pathetic and shallow understanding of the world around you.

increase the dosage on your medication.

• Members

Steve's efforts taught me about things i may never have known. He did it in an entertaining and thoughful manner.

i do not believe he ever had anything but good intentions and respect for the species he encountered.

my sincere condolences to his family and friends.

• Members

In the end I'll count myself blessed if I'm able to touch the hearts and minds of 1/1000th of the people Steve did, if I'm able to further my 'cause' - whatever that may be - in even the smallest way, or make the world an even slightly better place for the beings with whom I share it (animal, vegetable or mineral).

Rest well, Steve. Your commitment and service to others will not soon be forgotten.

• Members

thoughtless comment from an insecure little man that doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut.

The only thoughtless thing going on here is a guy who made a career out of teasing animals that could kill him with ease. If you feel that this undeniable fact needs to be censored, then you are the one who is insecure.

• Members

The only thoughtless thing going on here is a guy who made a career out of teasing animals that could kill him with ease. If you feel that this undeniable fact needs to be censored, then you are the one who is insecure.

attend his funeral and voice your opinion.

• Members

The only thoughtless thing going on here is a guy who made a career out of teasing animals that could kill him with ease

I have watched numerous Crocodile Hunter shows on Animal Planet, and I wouldn't characterize his interactions as "teasing".

Dangerous -- yes; teasing -- no.

His whole life (including his career) was centered around animals, given I understand his parents started what is now called the Australian Zoo.

• Members

Originally posted by Mook

Steve was a legend - I was just surprised it wasn't an alligator that got him in the end though!

Interesting we might think that and I do mean 'We'. He knew alligators like the back of his hand, but it seems that we people venture off in areas they're unfamiliar with, things can suprise you. Unfortunately, while he could always be as agile as he needed to be on land with alligators, in the sea there is nothing faster and more agile than the sea's true inhabitants: the fish. It's too bad, but while he was a true inspiration to a lot of people to face our fears, it still brings us back down to life, so that we realize never to underestimate especially in uncharted territory.

I'm actually suprised he never got bit by a venomous snake or maybe he did.? Because those things can pop up out of nowhere especially in Ausland I would think.

He made it fun, so his death should definitely be seen as a celebration of his life because boy oh boy does he have a life to celebrate about. He thoroughly enjoyed it to the fullest.

• Members

You're awfully negative, do you know that?

I agree, you appear rather insecure. Sure, Steve Irwin was no angel... but neither am I, nor probably anyone else in this thread. Most people here can actually get over themselves for a minute and realise that in the case of Steve Irwin, the good vastly outweighted the bad.

I get the sneaking suspicion that the same does not apply to you.

• Members

Myself and my family learned alot about animals watching his shows. I definately gained a greater respect for crocs and other dangerous animals from the knowledge he imparted. He definately was one of a kind. The Discovery channel won't be the same without hiim.

RIP Steve Irwin. God bless and keep his wife and kids.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by program_insect

Whether you liked his show or not, you have to admit: the guy had balls of steel. nuff respect, RIP.

steelballzwm4.jpg

:eek:

:D

• Members

Personally, I don't think I ever recalled seeing him tease any animal. Sure, he hammed it up for the show, but generally, I always thought him to be fairly respectful to animals. He was a guy who went out and lived life, getting into crazy situations and until the last time, came out the other end okay. I thought his shows were pretty educational.

Archived