Simulating 12string guitar

zinzin

• Members

i know that eg the boss ps-5 or the new EH POG are able to simulate 12string guitars. what other pedals can you suggest to try out for nailing that beatles clean electric rickenbacker 12string sound? and have you already some suggested settings for those pedals?

• Members
Originally posted by zinzin

i know that eg the boss ps-5 or the new EH POG are able to simulate 12string guitars. what other pedals can you suggest to try out for nailing that beatles clean electric rickenbacker 12string sound? and have you already some suggested settings for those pedals?

a chorus pedal :)

• Members

A Jellifish pick has metal tines and can help to make strumming sound a little like a twelve string.
It's expensive and the tines are prone to breakage, but it's cheaper than a pedal.
A POG sounds prettty darn good, but some chorus pedals do a decent job at a fraction of the cost.

• Members
Originally posted by zinzin

nah, a chorus pedal is not enough and i only read bad things about those jellyfish picks.

a well dialed in good chorus can definetely cop the sound.

I played a 1966 Fender XII, and it was like it had a built in chorus pedal.

but,

if that won't do it for you, then just get a cheap 12 string electric off ebay, I guess...mind you, the cheap ones could have intonation problems.

but that's another can of worms :)

• Members

Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

Roland VG-88 - even does the unison strings.

This is the part that makes it tricky to simulate. I'm not sure, but I think you'll find that those pitch shifters give you +1oct on all your notes, not just the lower four strings. Only by separating the signal from each string can you get a true 12-string sound with processing.

If you want it to sound really authentic (more than you care about the cost), I think you'll end up with a VG88, a Variax or a... well, a 12 string.

Archived