I need some tolex glue....

zhivago

• Members

....but I don't wanna buy loads of it...I just need a bit for this small head I'm working on....does anyone know where I can get a small container...or maybe even an equivalent that will work just as well?

could I even possibly buy some from someone that has a big container of it?

many thanks :)

• Members

Originally posted by covertmusic724

on a related note: where's the best place to get tolex? probably just basic black to redo a much "loved" marshall 4x12 cab

and, is it easy to do?

http://www.guitar-parts.com/

i made a marshall BX style cabinet and went through these guys, great service, got my tolex and grilleclothe (checkered) and my cab looks awesome. it is pretty easy to cover something as well. just make sure you sand off the old glue before you apply anything

• Members

Originally posted by dZjupp

save your money- Elmers Wood Glue, its what i've always used for applying tolex.

Really? How many times have to tolexed a cab? That would make it really easy to do in my basement without the fumes and all. I have a head I need to do.

• Members

PLEASE do not use Elmers or any glue like that!!! :) It won't tack well and if you ever remove the tolex it will pull the wood off the cab or head!!!!!!

Use a waterbase neoprene glue ...that is what Marshall and all the amp builders use...

You can thank me later.... :p

• Members

Originally posted by The Gainster

PLEASE
do not use Elmers or any glue like that!!!
:)
It won't tack well and if you ever remove the tolex it will pull the wood off the cab or head!!!!!!

Use a
waterbase neoprene glue
...that is what Marshall and all the amp builders use...

You can thank me later....
:p

I've tolexed a lot of cabs with waterbased woodglue with great results, Mitch. My faux '63 Super Reverb Brownface was recovered using Elmers Carpenter glue and it looks great after 7 years. But yeah waterbased is probably a good call so you can redo it later. Check out this webpage. It's cool for adheasive nerds.

http://www.thistothat.com/

• Members

Originally posted by catalinbread

I've tolexed a lot of cabs with waterbased woodglue with great results, Mitch. My faux '63 Super Reverb Brownface was recovered using Elmers Carpenter glue and it looks great after 7 years. But yeah waterbased is probably a good call so you can redo it later. Check out this webpage. It's cool for adheasive nerds.

http://www.thistothat.com/

That's a cool site 4 sho... :cool:

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Originally posted by The Gainster

PLEASE
do not use Elmers or any glue like that!!!
:)
It won't tack well and if you ever remove the tolex it will pull the wood off the cab or head!!!!!!

Use a
waterbase neoprene glue
...that is what Marshall and all the amp builders use...

You can thank me later....
:p

I should have taken your advice.

In case anyone is looking to use wood glue, I highly recommend you don't. Yes, it was without fumes, but there were other problems.

I used wood glue and it sucked bigtime. If you layed it on thin it wouldn't stick and hold as you were tolexing. If you layed it on thicker, it would start to ooze and seep to all the edges. Left to sit, puddles of glue would gather at the edges. Either way, it was near impossible to really pull out bubbles. It was a {censored}ing mess. You need something with some real tackiness that will grip the tolex big time.

DON'T USE WOOD GLUE! :wave:

• Members

Originally posted by ColorsoundKid

I should have taken your advice.

In case anyone is looking to use wood glue, I highly recommend you don't. Yes, it was without fumes, but there were other problems.

I used wood glue and it sucked bigtime. If you layed it on thin it wouldn't stick and hold as you were tolexing. If you layed it on thicker, it would start to ooze and seep to all the edges. Left to sit, puddles of glue would gather at the edges. Either way, it was near impossible to really pull out bubbles. It was a {censored}ing mess. You need something with some real tackiness that will grip the tolex big time.

DON'T USE WOOD GLUE!
:wave:

:freak:

• Members

If you have an open area, you really cant beat the stinky, poisonous contact glue. I guy mine at the home depot, and I use it in my garage with a fan blowing right over it. I do use the water soluble neoprene every now and then, as some brands of tolex will delaminate from the backing, and bubble if you use the regular solvent based stuff.

Here are some things that you must have if you want to do a good job...

single edged razor, or replaceable cartridge blade(nice and sharp)

Straight edge(at least the width of your cabinet)

rolling pin(makes getting out bubbles really easy)

clean surface, like an old carpet so you dont scuff up the tolex

Super Glue with a pipette for seams

Archived