Black Sabbath Sound

madmike90

• Members

How do i get a good Crazy train/Black Sabbath sound?

I have a Jackson Performer Series 2, Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi, Daphon E10DS distortion pedal, and Classic CryBaby Wah, going into a Marshall 50dfx.

Amp

Gain-

Bass-

Middle-

Treble-

Daphon

Volume-

Tone-

Distortion-

Big Muff

Level-

Sustain-

Tone-

Crybaby

on?

off?

Pressed forward?

Pressed back?

• Members

Originally posted by TheAtomicJeff

I think the old Sabbath tones were acquired through Laney amps(?). I've also seen the BS video for Paranoid where they used Orange amps.

Tony used Laney Klipps to get that heavy sound in the 70s.

I have seen the same video and he is playing through a cranked up Orange dream :)

• Members

Originally posted by madmike90

can u maybe tell me something that would be as close as possible to it?

yeah

Ditch all your pedals and plug straight into the amp... Then find the sweet spot with your gain knob... just enough clarity.. yet just enough gain...

Don't use too much gain...

Work your fingers hard... pull those notes out... attack that guitar! That's the key to copying Rhoads and Iommi's sound. Plug straight into the amp, and pound on those strings hard. Don't use too much gain.

• Members

1st album was standard tuning as was already mentioned. Strat was only used for 1 song, before the pickups went out on him. Rest of the 1st album is a SG Junior I believe with P-90s, Laney Super Group 100 watt amp and a Rangemaster Treble BOoster. Booster was modified after the 1st album for a full boost. Would be difficult getting in the ballpark with your set up.

• Members

Originally posted by TheAtomicJeff

I think the old Sabbath tones were acquired through Laney amps(?). I've also seen the BS video for Paranoid where they used Orange amps.

Those Orange Amps were the backline on a Television Show. Just stage props, I think, Sabbath didn't use them.

BlackSabbath19720018200.sized.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by dinrodef

yeah

Ditch all your pedals and plug straight into the amp... Then find the sweet spot with your gain knob... just enough clarity.. yet just enough gain...

Don't use too much gain...

Work your fingers hard... pull those notes out... attack that guitar! That's the key to copying Rhoads and Iommi's sound. Plug straight into the amp, and pound on those strings hard. Don't use too much gain.

THANKS!

i took the pedals out put gain to like 11oclock and left everything else at mid.

sounds good to me!

thanks again

• Members

Originally posted by AbbeSauniere

1st album was standard tuning as was already mentioned. Strat was only used for 1 song, before the pickups went out on him. Rest of the 1st album is a SG Junior I believe with P-90s, Laney Super Group 100 watt amp and a Rangemaster Treble BOoster. Booster was modified after the 1st album for a full boost. Would be difficult getting in the ballpark with your set up.

spot-on.

• Members

THANKS!

i took the pedals out put gain to like 11oclock and left everything else at mid.

sounds good to me!

thanks again

Try the Bass and Mid (Contour) controls at maximum and the Treble control all the way off!

• Members

Originally posted by AbbeSauniere

Which SG did Iommi use for Paranoid? (the album)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Idlewilde

The first album he used a Strat tuned to C# and a treble booster. I don't know what amps he used. But I heard it fom him mentioned above in a guitar magazine.

no, he didn't... he broke his strat before that album was recorded... it was his SG at that point, and tuned to standard

• Members

How do i get a good Crazy train/Black Sabbath sound?

I have a Jackson Performer Series 2, Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi, Daphon E10DS distortion pedal, and Classic CryBaby Wah, going into a Marshall 50dfx.

Amp

Gain-

Bass-

Middle-

Treble-

Daphon

Volume-

Tone-

Distortion-

Big Muff

Level-

Sustain-

Tone-

Crybaby

on?

off?

Pressed forward?

Pressed back?

For that early Sabbath tone, play around with these "settings." I didn't get exact because you will have to tweak to taste.

Amp

Turn the amp gain down, turn the master volume up. Try and get a tight, slightly breaking up overdriven tone with the power tubes working a little also. Rely on the Muff for much of the distortion.

Big Muff

Turn the tone up to apoint where you get a bright, raspy fuzz. You'll be using this to both gett the saturated distortion and substitute for some of the treble boost.

Daphon

Doubt yu would need this, the amp and the BMp.

Crybaby

Off

For early solo Ozzy, it is a completely different setup (Crazy Train sounds nothing like Sabbath), I let someone else suggest that one.

-Y.

Archived