Where will the industry be in ten years ?

protues9

• Members

If the existing hardware companies keep cranking out ROMplers with different blinky bits on, they're dead. Software will destroy them.

Until they die or figure it out, the Oasys hardware model will be the future. A fairly generic PC style platform running custom software that renders it a musical appliance rather than a PC as such.

The onrush of cheap CPU power will make other ways of building hardware look too expensive, and capitalism always takes the path of least financial resistance.

Whether these new instruments have any good new ideas inside or not is what will determine the future health of the industry. If it's still a ROMpler, they're still dead.

I feel that success lies in innovative uses of computer integration. To start, if I plug the instrument into a computer via USB, the storage area should mount on the desktop.

Second, in this storage area there should be a short program that loads on a PC or Mac (or Linux) that politely offers to take you to the support site for the instrument to download the latest software. Shipping CD's is so twentieth century.

Latest ROM revision? OK, sure. Editor/Librarian? meh, but OK.

AU/VST/RTAS/BLAH plugins that let you utterly and completely control the product from your fave recording environment? Now we're bloody talking. I am sick to death of having to make templates for using a synth, mapping controllers, setting modes, making sure the right bank is loaded, and then forgetting why I walked into the music room.

It Should Just Work. These plugins operate the synth if acted upon, and the synth operates the plugin UI - they are always in sync. No controller mapping, it's all read from the instrument and set up automatically. No parameters are left out, buried in modal pages, or unintuitive to locate. DO NOT LET THE ENGINEERS DESIGN THE USER INTERFACE. (shudder) It should look like the coolest soft synth in your arsenal, and operate just like one.

Next, set the minimum configuration for the software fairly high, and then look for ways to add value with that power. How about:

1) Free secure network storage of a registered customer's patch banks and other data, with synchronization. Roadie drops it, muso buys another one, signs in to the web site with it attached by USB, all the patches are restored when the user requests it.

2) Take features and functions you did not have opportunity to ship in the box, and add them as part of the above plugin, or the instrument itself. If the right hooks into the synth's brain are prepared, you could add any kind of component you like, or your customers are asking for. You could even open this up to third parties. A synth that gets better over time? Oh yeah.

3) I know what it isn't: It's not VariOS. It's not an $8000 instrument. The software does not mean you can remove knobs and sliders, it means you add more. It's not just MIDI and some audio on USB - use the link more creatively than that. It's your link, you control the end to end experience - use that to your unfair advantage. Then let the hackers loose on it/share the API or open source it.

Look at how slick the iPod/iTunes experience is. Look at how successful this is. If you replace the iPod with your product, what would the software do that would just be amazing?

If every product you sold was a node on your company's network, what would you do with it? How could it serve artists? Whatever it is, it must Just Work, and not get in the way. It must be simple and powerful.

"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson

• Members

PCs will probably be around 70-100 times faster. So talking about hardware is so 20th- century!

2 Mutipoint touchscreens- an 88 key controller- some moving faders and knobs- and the brand new 120-core CPU. Plus some highly evolved music software, much better than today's for sure...

GAS :D

• Members

Originally posted by FunkyLaptop.......................................

I am sick to death of having to make templates for using a synth, mapping controllers, setting modes, making sure the right bank is loaded, and then forgetting why I walked into the music room.

that's why some people will always prefer dedicated hardware.

• Members

Originally posted by mildbill

True, and I think these concepts could be applied to any digital dedicated hardware as well. A standalone recorder would benefit from remote storage of mixes or even whole projects. Share with someone, no Fed Ex? Click.

If the unit also gains from being connected to a DAW, why not? Best of both worlds and all that.

Mackie had this going with the D8B mixer, and at the time I thought it was way cool. I think it had an onboard modem. Today it could be an Ethernet jack or wireless.

I just read that Roland has introduced an Audio Unit plugin for using the (hardware) SH-201 in software. I have not seen it, but it seems that they are many steps ahead of me. Excellent.

It is also very important that the marketeers not get hold of these features. If a synth offers me free patches for completing a survey, you'll believe that sucker can fly.

• Members

Even with dedicated hardware you have this problem; Cubase Device Panels anyone? I want to be able to automate the stuff and not touch the Virus/Nova/whatever at all; it is possible. I fully support the VST-editor idea.

• Members

1) Latency will still be an issue. People will still not be able to use software as a proper mixer and monitor effects while tracking. What the hell? Digi's TDM rigs did this nearly two decades ago!

2) There will still be no professional-level keyboard controller. They'll all still have wonky faders, crappy drivers, plastic casing, spongy keys, and will all cost the same. If a manufacturer actually does create a modern equivalent to the Roland A-90 (even Roland), its price will be met with guffaws, even though it'll be totally worth it.

3) NI's KORE concept will (hopefully) be adapted into every DAW. Unfortunately, it won't be an open-source protocol (unlike VST-- Thanks, Steinberg! You kick ass!), so it'll never catch on.

4) Hip hop kids will still think the only way to make world-class beats is with the MPC5000, MPC2700, MPC1200, and MPC900.

5) Digidesign will have gotten fed up with Apple's arrogance (and eventual dominance in the video market with Final Cut Pro 2016) and will eschew Mac support altogether.

6) All the guys who've ever made hip hop sample libraries will be in their sixties.

7) Korg's best piano sound will still kinda suck.

8) Roland's manuals will still be impossible to read, and any new product will be missing critical features from the product it directly replaced.

9) It'll still take fifteen button presses to access anything on the Motif RX9500.

10) Access will release the Virus TA, which sports nipple-shaped knobs.

11) I will finally get sick of typing in purple.

• Members

Originally posted by Yoozer

Even with dedicated hardware you have this problem; Cubase Device Panels anyone? I want to be able to automate the stuff and not touch the Virus/Nova/whatever at all; it is possible. I fully support the VST-editor idea.

Well thats just steinbergs complete inability to design anything with the user in mind.

Tick list feature - yes they can do thoe - integrate tham nto a nice logical workflow where thing behave exactly as expected - umm. no..

• Members

Originally posted by The Audacity Works ..........................

2) There will still be no professional-level keyboard controller.................

if a manufacturer can come up with a pro-level keyboard controller with all the goodies within 10 years, i'd settle for that.

but i highly doubt that they will.:(

• Members

If a manufacturer can come up with a pro-level keyboard controller with all the goodies within 10 years, i'd settle for that.

but i highly doubt that they will.
:(

Well, I've designed one. At the risk of sounding like a pompous ass, were it to be built, it'd destroy anything else out there.

Unfortunately, the 61-note version would most likely end up around $1200-1400 MAP. The 88 weighted version closer to $1800-1900 MAP. Hence, pro-level controller.

But people whine like little girls if something costs more than they can personally afford, so none of the controller manufacturers have the balls to do it right.

Maybe I'll get drunk one night and post a picture of the thing.

• Members

I'd pay it. Or at least I wouldn't winge about the price just because I couldn't afford it. Quality costs; it's that simple.

I'd be pretty charmed by a pro-level x-station: same general layout but--better feeling joystick or maybe wheels, higher-resolution touchpad, poly aftertouch, optional fully-weighted keys on 76 or 88 key models. Maybe even have it so the knobs move to the template settings (I can't think what that's called right now). And nice wood end-plates. Of course, they could do all that right now if they thought the market would bear it.

• Members

10 years ago I wouldn't have predicted I now have a Motif to play with, and a Virus / NL2X to go wild, & an Electro61 to "go old school" .....

So I can't imagine what I'll have in 2016.... (tho probably still not enough $$ to get the stuff i'd really like)

anyway... I'd like to see (if HC is still alive 10 years from now) who is still around here and will the first to post: "HA! I told you so!"

2016:

Yamaha will release the Tyros VII

Roland plans the Juno G version 5 (new groovy colors)

Korg has upgraded their OASYS with 345274219 new EXs Expansion Sample/Expansion Effects/Expansion instruments Libraries (and will sell the OASYS EXtreme containing "the best of" 345274219 new EX Libraries already installed)

Clavia has the Nord Lead 9X (that's 2X +3+4)

and Kurzweil will finally be able to put their VA-1 in stores

Archived