Why does no one like the Lovepedal 1/2 Watt Vintage amps?

• Members

Specifically mine. This isn't spam...rather I don't see why no one will buy it from me; I've been trying to sell it (trade it) for a month.

Is my price bad? It's $90 shipped versus $155 shipped new...and it's like new...

Do these get a bad rap around here or something?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i just got one, in a trade deal that started a couple weeks prior to you listing yours; same price and model & all. havent had a chance to put it through any real paces yet, but in the test run earlier tonite, i was really diggin it. :thu: paired with the cab/spkr to a kalamazoo model 2, it was sounding quite sweet. i can only imagine with a more happenin spkr that it'll impress even more.

i'd not get too down about it, just the ebb and flow of spamstuff. theres a forumite here who's been spamming a chorus pedal for well over a year now (maybe closer to two :eek: ).

likely, someday i'll buy that chorus. :o

• Members

We all like it; we just hate you. :D

I think we all have a few pieces of gear that probably will never sell, though the 1/2 watt amp probably isn't one of them. I know I still have a certain cheap guitar that I couldn't seem to unload. Oh well, maybe it'll appreciate in value. Or maybe I can use it as kindling on a cold winter night.

If I had the extra money, I might think about it, but I don't think 1/2 watt would be that much less volume then 6 watts, especially if I put it through my 4x12 cab as opposed to a 1x8 or so speaker. Besides, I need to buy an amp that could put out some real volume. Then again, if it was a combo, I'd probably jump on it.

• Members

i can certainly understand why 30+watts would be needed for playing in close quarters (read: apartments, living w/small kids, late nite playing, etc).

you guys dont know {censored}all what you're talking about.

• Members

They're a great little amp.

The have tons of volume through decent speakers (for 1/2 a watt). Can do very loud jamming in a bedroom size space, even against another decent amp.

Just depends whether you ever have a need for a little amp like that.

• Members

Originally posted by decode6

I think my headphones put out more than that.

regardless of what you think already, next time you run into a Smokey amp in a shop, or some other battery powered rig with a speaker jack (not a headphone jack), set it up with a 2x12 combo's speakers.

way more than loud enough for home practice.

loud enough to get the (apartment) neighbors to complain.

also very good for home recording apps, when a microphone doesnt care how many watts are involved.

theres a lot more than watts involved in the equation of 'volume,' not the least of which is speaker efficiency -- if you've got a crap 2" speaker paired with an amp, the amp wont be able to get as loud as if it was paired with an efficient spkr (say, an EVM-12L). so from this alone we can see that watts is not the whole of the equation.

:)

• Members

If watts aren't an effecient way to measure volume, why don't the companies use something else?

watts sells amps.

"100 watts? wow!! i want that!!"

check here for the basics, and its not gospel, but the premise is all together.

for home use, 1/2w is very practical. and can get loud enough for home practice, and loud enough to elicit complaints from nextdoor, with just an 8" spkr.

again, try the Smokey thing if you have a chance :)

• Members

Originally posted by gg82

They're a great little amp.

The have tons of volume through decent speakers (for 1/2 a watt). Can do very loud jamming in a bedroom size space, even against another decent amp.

Just depends whether you ever have a need for a little amp like that.

and this is where the men and the boys are separated. maybe if you don't ever play gigs, which *cough* is {censored}ing lame, then yeh, maybe a 1/2 watt amp is good to not wake your nagging wife. however, i tend to believe that musicians who actually play might need something a little more powerful.

• Members

Originally posted by cantoXIII

and this is where the men and the boys are separated. maybe if you don't ever play gigs, which *cough* is {censored}ing lame, then yeh, maybe a 1/2 watt amp is good to not wake your nagging wife. however, i tend to believe that musicians who actually play might need something a little more powerful.

Ahahahaha..

thats crazy!

3 of the TOP musicians in DA WORLD who actually play, use these 1/2 watt amps EVERYDAY..

Santana

David Torn

Matte Henderson

INSANE closemindedness at its best..

i luv it.. :D

• Members

carvinxv-112003.jpg

twinreverb001.jpg

how about 235 tube watts of shutthe{censored}up?

i've got amps at my practice space for playing, but my living there just to use better amps might piss off the wife and kids.

perhaps you should be at the amp forum.

• Members

yr a {censored}ing {censored}...i have the lovepedal amp...like it a lot.

go to ampforum you slobsnopp !

• Members

If watts aren't an effecient way to measure volume, why don't the companies use something else?

As L6SGuy says, watts sell amps.

They should use something definite, such as SPL at 1 metre, 1kHz, 1% THD (I'm sure others can suggest a better metric, I just wanted to propose something).

Bear in mind that Celestion's 12" speakers vary in sensitivty by 18dB from the least to most efficient. That'd be an enormous volume difference from the same wattage.

• Members

Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

As L6SGuy says, watts sell amps.

They should use something definite, such as SPL at 1 metre, 1kHz, 1% THD (I'm sure others can suggest a better metric, I just wanted to propose something).

Bear in mind that Celestion's 12" speakers vary in sensitivty by 18dB from the least to most efficient. That'd be an enormous volume difference from the same wattage.

Marketing doesnt work if its complex.

100 watts = must be loud

In response to the lovepedal amp, I have never much cared for LM386 based amps. If indeed thats what the lovepedal amp is.

I am trying out a little 6w stereo guitar amp based on the TPA1517NE power amp IC. Just figuring out a nice sag circuit to go inbetween the Jfet based preamps and power amp.

Its kinda high current consumption though, works off 18v and even with 2 PP3 batteries I wouldnt consider it really "busker portable". But I doubt thats what many people use these little amps for.

• Members

Originally posted by ollenorin

my amps:

Hiwatt DR50 Custom 50

Matamp Minimat

Valvetech Hayseed

Fender Champ SF

Lovepedal amp

everyone has their purpose...

it looks like the lovepedal is living in quite good company then.

you sir, must be a man!!

:D

i know that in the middle of the summer,

when i'm sitting by the pool late nite,

ready to fire one up,

rolling out the Twin and cranking it up,

well thats the first thing on my mind,

if i wanna just jam a little.

:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by hempathy

In response to the lovepedal amp, I have never much cared for LM386 based amps. If indeed thats what the lovepedal amp is.

Me neither - I like the flavour of dirt those chips give in pedals though.

Archived