Why does no one like the Lovepedal 1/2 Watt Vintage amps?

• Members

Both Richard and Sean in one thread? :cool:

Anyway, I really like the Lovepedal, but built a Gilmore Jr. not too long ago, and am putting the attenuator mod in this week. I'd keep both amps, but I really don't need two 1/2 watt amps and the girlfriend's birthday is fast approaching (and I have no money).

Both amps seriously sound great though.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Richard Guy

Hello AtomHeartMother,

If you need help installing the attenuator inside the Gilmore Jr chassis, I am here for you. It can be done with just one 1/4" jack and some interesting but easy wiring hook-up

You've already walked me through it. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by KimSuzzie

3 of the TOP musicians in DA WORLD who actually play, use these 1/2 watt amps EVERYDAY..

Santana

David Torn

Matte Henderson

Well yeah, I see your point Sean, those guys might like'em, but they still can't be any good if CantoXIII doesn't like'em...after all....he "GIGS" !!.......haha..

What a hero....

• Members
Originally posted by gg82

Well yeah, I see your point Sean, those guys might like'em, but they still can't be any good if CantoXIII doesn't like'em...after all....he "GIGS" !!.......haha..

What a hero....

I kinda get what he's saying, although I wouldn't phrase it that way. As a gigging musician with a small practice combo and an earth-shakingly loud half-stack, it doesn't make any sense for me to buy the lovepedal. Why would I want to carry my 60 lb speaker cab around so I could have a 1/2 watt amp, when small practice combos go for less than the lovepedal?

Bedroom musicians and studio musicians have different needs and they'd probably have much more use for it. I have a hard time figuring out where these micro solid-state amps go in the grand scheme of things (I'd rather go small tube combo anyway), but then again, someone probably likes 'em.

And who the {censored} cares about who plays better anyway? It's not a {censored}ing contest.:rolleyes:

• Members

Also, for the record, Santana is usually a big turn off for me whenever buying gear, but then again, my opinion must not matter because I'm a "hero" and a gigger and only have, you know, moderate experience in the studio.

This whole thread is nothing more than dickwaving.

• Members
Originally posted by Stratotone

LOL! I used to gig with a 300watt Vetta II running a pair of 4x12s, but have it pared down to a JSX, one 4x12 and a {censored}load of pedals.
:)

I'm actually thinking of building an 18 watt for myself, and a Fender Tweed Deluxe clone - use an amp switcher, and do a 2 amp setup live. Would be a pain in the ass, but man, it would sound sweet.

Pete

I'm thinking of building a tweed deluxe, and you seem to know what you're talking about. What do they sound like? Please don't say Neil Young, gimme other artist references. Ta!!

• Members

Had one. Sold it to Olle. I liked it, but I wanted a bit more clean headroom. I prefer a dirty clean. The 1/2 watt could get that at it's lowest setting and by rolling the guitar volume back, but at that point it was a bit too quiet for my liking. The Lovepedal kicks ass for bedroom volumes, but for "basement volumes" is a bit lacking unless you're looking strictly for crunch.

taco

• Members
Originally posted by papa taco

Had one. Sold it to Olle. I liked it, but I wanted a bit more clean headroom. I prefer a dirty clean. The 1/2 watt could get that at it's lowest setting and by rolling the guitar volume back, but at that point it was a bit too quiet for my liking. The Lovepedal kicks ass for bedroom volumes, but for "basement volumes" is a bit lacking unless you're looking strictly for crunch.

taco

perfect example of what i was getting at. you know what? a 1/2 watt amp might have great tone, but when you take into consideration that there is almost no clean headroom, solidstate circuitry, and no equalization/tweakability, it seems pretty {censored}ing impractical for anything other than wanking around in your bedroom. i came off as super {censored}ty last night because i was in a really, really bad mood, but i still stand by what i said about the amp being seemingly not very useful to a gigging musician.

[edit]: by the way, i do post in the amp forum. however, it's very rare due to the the fact that you get labelled a fag if you don't have long, greasy hair, wear torn, white-washed jeans and 80's hair metal t-shirts. oh yeh, and you have to like metal, but none of this {censored}-{censored} that's around nowadays, except for lamb of god and in flames. :rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by cantoXIII

perfect example of what i was getting at. you know what? a 1/2 watt amp
might
have great tone, but when you take into consideration that there is

I gig alot and would definately use one for my students and at home at night. I rarely fire up my gig amp at home.

• Members

Originally posted by turtleheadblues

I gig alot and would definately use one for my students and at home at night. I rarely fire up my gig amp at home.

wow. i wish i could have something like my gigging setup and my home setup. as it is, i can barely afford 1 setup, i don't know how you all justify having multiple rigs just for different occasions. don't you have a certain tone that you use for all of your songs that can only be achieved through specific setups? seems like you'd want to be using the same one all the time so that you can constantly be tweaking/improving your specific tone.

• Members

i still stand by what i said about the amp being seemingly not very useful to a gigging musician.

Now that sounds like a challenge!;)

-not all gigs are loud. I have helped a friend out at some cafe gigs where I could barely get sound out of my rig, before we were told we had to turn down. I ended up having to throw a jacket over my amp. :mad:

AtomHeart- I sent you a pm about your lovepedal amp.

• Members

Apple/oranges

I'd go with the small tube combo if I could pick just one, but they both have their uses.

I got great results with an old Smokey Jr. when I was working on a track with a bunch of layered guitars. After three tracks of combo amp, there wasn't much sonic real estate left for that same sound. Using the Smokey, (through an extention cab), for a couple of harmony line overdubs worked great. They cut through the mix without muddying up the other tracks. I'm sure Brian May would approve of this technique.;)

This thread has me g.a.s.ing for a Lovepedal 1/2 watter!

• Members

Originally posted by utterhack

Fits in your pocket? This is honestly handier than you might think at first.

I guess, but there's no headphone out, right? So, I'd still have to cart around a speaker cab for output.

If there is a headphone out, it changes things, but if there isn't I just don't see how it's more useful than a small combo. Fender Champs are hardly backbreakers and those Roland cubes are really versitile and good sounding for modeling units for practice/recording.

• Members
Originally posted by fatbackribs

Apple/oranges

I'd go with the small tube combo if I could pick just one, but they both have their uses.

I got great results with a Smokey Jr. when I was working on a track with a bunch of layered guitars. After three tracks of combo amp, there wasn't much sonic real estate left for that same sound. Using the Smokey, (through an extention cab), for a couple of harmony line overdubs worked great. They cut through the mix without muddying up the other tracks. I'm sure Brian May would approve of this technique.
;)

Touche. I don't deny there's uses, but I honestly don't know if the market for these is really large, hence the trouble unloading them.

• Members

Originally posted by ChitownTerror

I still don't understand how a 1/2 watt amp is better than a good practice amp or a small tube combo for recording? Can someone clear this up for me? I really feel like I'm missing something, honestly.

If you use an attenuator with your normal amp you've got the best of both worlds. The tone and controls of your amp, just at a reduced volume. Most importantly, you've still got your sound.

Buying a seperate 1/2 amp seems pointless to me, especially as you still have to use your speaker cab.

• Members

wow. i wish i could have something like my gigging setup and my home setup. as it is, i can barely afford 1 setup, i don't know how you all justify having multiple rigs just for different occasions. don't you have a certain tone that you use for all of your songs that can only be achieved through specific setups? seems like you'd want to be using the same one all the time so that you can constantly be tweaking/improving your specific tone.

Do you make your living playing guitar? Its alot more justifiable to someone that does. Tools man.

As far as tweaking the amp theres really no need. I just use a clean tone and hit it with a Lovepedal Angus and one of my boosts. Its always pretty nifty sounding.

I also have an amp for my students but would like another for me also when teaching.

• Members

Originally posted by ChitownTerror

I guess, but there's no headphone out, right? So, I'd still have to cart around a speaker cab for output.

again, i don't know about the lovepedal but judging from this thread it's similar to a smokey, and on that you can just plug headphones into the only output it has and it'll work

• Members
Originally posted by turtleheadblues

I wonder sometimes if you have to be on drugs to get some of that stuff sometimes. In all fairness all Ive heard of Matte was noise clips, he could have just been screwing around. After seeing some of the guys sig guitars hes gotta be doing something right. Its all good.

Hey K-Fed ill trade ya something for the LP amp. Email me plz.

ahhh U know I'm cranky in the morning.. :)

Google Matte sometime, he isn't all about noise > all the time..

He is ahead of his time and ALOT of people don't get him..
Matt Henderson, one of Fripp's assistant guitar teachers." (Eric Tamm: Robert Fripp from King Crimson to Guitar Craft 1990 Faber and Faber ) Robocoptick is an exercise in sonic polarity, with Multi InstruMENTAList, writer, producer, programmer, Robocoptick, being the constant in an ever changing game of musickal chairs. Matte Henderson(AKA Robocoptick) has played and recorded with a broad spectrum of musicians, from Black Music Maverick Bill Dixon to Robert Fripp, David Torn, Henry Kaiser, Tony Levin, Mick Karn, Percy Jones, John Medeski, Rodney Holmes and David Fiuczynski to Pop Icons Jewel and Natalie Merchant.

He's on Natalie Merchant's greatest Hits.. I know how much you dig her.. LOL!! :)

• Members
Originally posted by Kimsuzzie...

ahhh U know I'm cranky in the morning..

Google Matte sometime, he isn't all about noise > all the time..

He is ahead of his time and ALOT of people don't get him..

Matt Henderson, one of Fripp's assistant guitar teachers." (Eric Tamm: Robert Fripp from King Crimson to Guitar Craft 1990 Faber and Faber ) Robocoptick is an exercise in sonic polarity, with Multi InstruMENTAList, writer, producer, programmer, Robocoptick, being the constant in an ever changing game of musickal chairs. Matte Henderson(AKA Robocoptick) has played and recorded with a broad spectrum of musicians, from Black Music Maverick Bill Dixon to Robert Fripp, David Torn, Henry Kaiser, Tony Levin, Mick Karn, Percy Jones, John Medeski, Rodney Holmes and David Fiuczynski to Pop Icons Jewel and Natalie Merchant.

He's on Natalie Merchant's greatest Hits.. I know how much you dig her.. LOL!!

Actually my last band did "Carnival" some great playing in that one. I listened to a couple of tunes on his site he is awesome.

Archived