Why does no one like the Lovepedal 1/2 Watt Vintage amps?

• Members

Originally posted by cantoXIII

and this is where the men and the boys are separated. maybe if you don't ever play gigs, which *cough* is {censored}ing lame, then yeh, maybe a 1/2 watt amp is good to not wake your nagging wife. however, i tend to believe that musicians who actually play might need something a little more powerful.

I'm surprized your parents let you play that loud in their basement...

Douche.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by erksin

I'm surprized your parents let you play that loud in their basement...

Douche.

amps..jpg

somehow your attempt at belittling me didn't seem too successful. maybe it's due to the fact that i live in a house that i'm paying rent on, and moreso due to that being my living room, right next to the front door. don't assume when you don't know, it makes you look like a jackass.

• Members

and this is where the men and the boys are separated. maybe if you don't ever play gigs, which *cough* is {censored}ing lame, then yeh, maybe a 1/2 watt amp is good to not wake your nagging wife. however, i tend to believe that musicians who actually play might need something a little more powerful.

Yes, but for $150, it's a very nice practice tool. You have your 100 Watt Twin, but you can't play that around the house, so you buy your 1/2 Watt practice amp that gets you some nice tones at bedroom levels.

:idea: :idea:

• Members

Originally posted by ChitownTerror

I still don't understand how a 1/2 watt amp is better than a good practice amp or a small tube combo for recording? Can someone clear this up for me? I really feel like I'm missing something, honestly.

For one, it breaks up sooner. Even a small 5 watt amp needs to be driven hard at a pretty high volume (especially for a small recording room) to get breakup. At a 1/2 watt is should be about 1/2 the total volume cranked as a 5 watt amp; that makes a difference. Also, they have less clean headroom, so you're getting to breakup sooner. And the Lovepedal is breakup from the get-go. So you can have pretty decent moderate overdrive going at really low volumes with the Lovepedal. It's really a fantastic piece of gear; I'd keep it, but I really don't need it anymore (gear consolidation time...).

• Members

I guess, but there's no headphone out, right? So, I'd still have to cart around a speaker cab for output.

If there is a headphone out, it changes things, but if there isn't I just don't see how it's more useful than a small combo. Fender Champs are hardly backbreakers and those Roland cubes are really versitile and good sounding for modeling units for practice/recording.

It has better much tone than little SS combos and you won't have to crank it nearly as loud to get overdrive as you would with a Champ (which is damn loud in reality).

What I was thinking of doing prior to getting the Gilmore Jr. was to either make a small 1x10 cab or gut a combo with a decent cab and stick a nice speaker in there. I'd then find some way to semi-permanently mount the Lovepedal in the cab. You'd then have a battery powered overdrive tone machine.

• Members

I think it's time to bow out of this thread before it gets ugly. Again.

Suffice to say, I don't understand how this is any better than a Roland or Vox practice amp, but hey, there's no accounting for tone or taste.

I truely respect your opinion here..

But I would ask you to open your mind and try one..
Either one.. Cannibal or Classic.. It would prob creep you out running one through any cab.. Big nuts at conversation levels with the correct feel and tone of a big amp..

:)

• Members

I think it's time to bow out of this thread before it gets ugly. Again.

Suffice to say, I don't understand how this is any better than a Roland or Vox practice amp, but hey, there's no accounting for tone or taste.

well, if nothing else, you should be able to see the logic in everybody not having the same exact amp(s), no?

that alone would seem to justify quite a variety of amps being available, even if only to those of us that dont see a Roland amp as the end all/be all of practice rigs......

right?

• Members
Originally posted by L6Sguy

well, if nothing else, you should be able to see the logic in everybody
not
having the same exact amp(s), no?

that alone would seem to justify quite a variety of amps being available, even if only to those of us that dont see a Roland amp as the end all/be all of practice rigs......

right?

Oh, of course. That's why I allow for strokes and folks, you know? An Ampeg V4 isn't everyone's cup of tea, and rightly so.

It just seems that it's a tool for an area I have no use for. But Lovepedal makes some genuinely good stuff, so I'm sure it's great for some people.

Group Hug?:wave:

• Members

FWIW, here's a clip of my 1/2 watt amp based on the 386. Yes it can get good tone, yes it gets loud enough for "basement" levels but it is somewhat lacking in headroom of course.

Please forgive my 5 string, out of tune guitar:

click here

of course I only spent $19 on mine... :thu:

halfwatt.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by RoboPimp

FWIW, here's a clip of my 1/2 watt amp based on the 386. Yes it can get good tone, yes it gets loud enough for "basement" levels but it is somewhat lacking in headroom of course.

Please forgive my 5 string, out of tune guitar:

click here

of course I only spent $19 on mine...
:thu:

halfwatt.jpg

Yep, sounds out of tune.

• Members

Originally posted by turtleheadblues

HA. I thought you might enjoy some of your own wit. I guess I was wrong. Sounds decent man but its out of tune.

it's all good, you do what you do, I do what I do.

lets roll one up and you can give me some schoolin' on guitar.

• Members

somehow your attempt at belittling me didn't seem too successful. maybe it's due to the fact that i live in a house that i'm paying rent on, and moreso due to that being my living room, right next to the front door. don't assume when you don't know, it makes you look like a jackass.

You're right - I shouldn't assume - it's just that your previous posts on this thread lead me to believe you were immature and didn't know what you were talking about, sorry. With that rig, you obviously know everything there is to know about good tone and what other people should like. Thanks for schooling me...

BTW - that's a sweet crib, meth lab in the kitchen? Oops - there I go assuming again!

• Members

You're right - I shouldn't assume - it's just that your previous posts on this thread lead me to believe you were immature and didn't know what you were talking about, sorry. With that rig, you obviously know everything there is to know about good tone and what other people should like. Thanks for schooling me...

BTW - that's a sweet crib, meth lab in the kitchen? Oops - there I go assuming again!

Here for a few days and already making friends. :thu:

Hey erskin, I believe you recommended the Timmy to me? I could be wrong. Thanks. :thu:

It wasn't exatly for me, but it's still a great pedal. I was basically using it like I'd use a clean boost so I'm selling it and getting an RC Booster with some cash left over.

• Members

i'm not waving my dick around trying to prove anything to you, i simply showed that picture to provide a response to your earlier assumptions. after all, a picture says 1000 words. funny. funnier, yet though, is that you are trying to make fun of my house due to what? a splice of it's actual entirety? seriously, grow the {censored} up.

by the way, robodick, the only view you saw of that cab was the front, without it's grille cloth. yet you too feel like you have the knowledge of it's entirety? man, the amp guys are like whiny prepubescent whores, but you're more comparable to a fetus that was torn out of its mother's womb with the realization that it was an obvious mistake.

• Members

I still don't understand how a 1/2 watt amp is better than a good practice amp or a small tube combo for recording? Can someone clear this up for me? I really feel like I'm missing something, honestly.

Well I'd much rather have a champ then the 1/2 watt amp, but I fell in love with my champ a long time ago. Let me see if I can explain this to you because I think the people who got one for clean headroom got it for the reason. You get a small wattage combo

I do know it's solid state, but the convience level of having a low, low wattage amp would have to be immense when you compare some of the other models. I'm not going to plunk down a couple of hundred dollars for a tiny amp that wouldn't ever be giggable, unless of course you miced it, when I could get a bassman or something of that ilk. The lovepedal one's atleast cheaper, probably because it's ss, but if it gets the job done, then it gets the job done. It might also work great for studio use. I don't own a studio, so I can't coment on that.

• Members

i'm not waving my dick around trying to prove anything to you, i simply showed that picture to provide a response to your earlier assumptions. after all, a picture says 1000 words. funny. funnier, yet though, is that you are trying to make fun of my house due to what? a splice of it's actual entirety? seriously, grow the {censored} up.

Hard to tell 'cause it appears to be quite tiny from here, but this quote of yours smacks of 'dick waving' IMO...

"and this is where the men and the boys are separated. maybe if you don't ever play gigs, which *cough* is {censored}ing lame, then yeh, maybe a 1/2 watt amp is good to not wake your nagging wife. however, i tend to believe that musicians who actually play might need something a little more powerful."

Please correct me if I'm *cough* wrong.

The whole reason I called you out is because you were making a sweeping generalization about a product you've never tried that might be useful to people who have a different gear need than you do. Don't get your mullet in a twist - there are other people in the world, get used to it.

Archived