What is this "tone sucking" that I keep hearing about with the Digitech Whammy?

• Members

Alrighty, I'm planning on buying a standard Whammy WH-4, and I keep hearing about "tone sucking" - what does this mean, exactly? does it make the amp sound flat, or lifeless, or what?

I'm not really much of a gear or tone hound, but if it sounds like complete crap, I will notice...so how bad is it?

• Members

Depends how you use the Whammy I guess. I have an original Whammy and a Whammy 4 and they do 'suck tone' I guess. By suck tone I mean if you run it after other pedals you get a volume loss and it will sound really flat. If you run it first or in the effects loop it is almost unnoticable. So basically a great pedal that needs to be first or in the effects loop. Hope this helps.

• Members

Yep, I run mine first in the chain and don't hear much tone suck at all. Although I own an original. I looked at a new one in GC over the weekend and it felt really cheaply made compared to the orignials. JMHO...

I wouldn't own a new one.

• Members

Originally posted by sense_of_henry

I have a Whammy IV and did notice suckage so I got one of these:

http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=23

Problem solved. I will eventually get a more comprehensive TB Looper, but this is a great solution in the meantime.

Wow...that's just the kind of thing I was looking for!

Seriously, look at this diagram I made...I was gonna ask if something like this was possible...

GuitarDiagram_2.jpg

Yeah, I know, I'm a moron with elementary paint skills :p

• Members

Originally posted by bob the dentist

Seriously, look at this diagram I made...I was gonna ask if something like this was possible...

GuitarDiagram_2.jpg

Yeah, I know, I'm a moron with elementary paint skills
:p

Yeah, but you'd want to

A. Run your OD before those things (besides the Wah)

B. Only put the things that suck tone in the loop.

• Members

Bob The Dentist...

I'm really familiar with your rig cuz it is almost identical to my old one...

The whammy never bothered me at all when it was in my signal chain in front of high gain amps for playing metal...It only bothered me when I played a strat through boutique type of amps cuz the strat would sound flat (like previously stated)

Not everything has to be true bypass...a lot of times just adding a few patch cables to your rig is more responsible to loss of high end than non true bypass pedals.

I'd compare the sound of the whammy bypassed to your Crybaby from hell wah...sounds just fine right?

Don't get too obsessed with TB...it's not always necessary...

• Members

Originally posted by bob the dentist

GuitarDiagram_2.jpg

Yeah, I know, I'm a moron with elementary paint skills
:p

The mm4 is already TB. You don't need to run it through the looper.

• Members

Originally posted by MoreGuitars

The mm4 is already TB. You don't need to run it through the looper.

sometimes a looper is good to use with pedals even if the pedals in the loop are true bypass

My pedalboard has 9 pedals that are run into 2 true bypass loops and then a wah after the loop boxes...so my dry guitar signal only ever sees 3 boxes altogether...That helps to keep my dry signal nice and uncluttered...still very inspiring to play...

Just a thought...the loop boxes are absolutely the best investment I ever made for my pedalboard.

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzup

Depends how you use the Whammy I guess. I have an original Whammy and a Whammy 4 and they do 'suck tone' I guess. By suck tone I mean if you run it after other pedals you get a volume loss and it will sound really flat. If you run it first or in the effects loop it is almost unnoticable. So basically a great pedal that needs to be first or in the effects loop. Hope this helps.

i have one of the reissues. i actually find if you run it after another buffered pedal it is the least noticable.

most of the tone sucking seems to affect the high end.

• Members

Originally posted by DJLantz444

Yeah, but you'd want to

A. Run your OD before those things (besides the Wah)

B. Only put the things that suck tone in the loop.

You might prefer your OD after the whammy; I find it sounds better then the other way around. I agree that the OD would be better before the MM4 and Delay.

• Members

The other problem might be the Whammy IV... I had one and it absolutely destroyed my tone, no question. I then sold it and purchased a reissue Whammy which was perfectly fine (and very well built compared to the WIV). Just fyi :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by sense_of_henry

You might prefer your OD after the whammy; I find it sounds better then the other way around. I agree that the OD would be better before the MM4 and Delay.

I agree. OD first will hurt the Whammy tracking. And I would also put the delay after the OD, but that's just preference. If you like it first, and you want to have delay in loop and OD not, then this is perfect for you. I used to do something similar. Until my Whammy broke...

whammy.JPG

• Members

Lol everyone going crazy about where my OD is...I agree, I'll probably put it before the effects, it's just that if I ever wanna do a makeshift MIDI switching sorta thing (like turn on all the effects that I need and then just turn the TB on to have them all come on at once) I will generally have my OD on all the time.

The order of gear in my sig is the exact order it is now though.

Archived