Tell me about Orange 4x12s

• Members

Hey all, so I've seen some Orange 4x12s in the 4x12/halfstack thread, and my GAS has been piqued... what is the big deal with these? Is it worth twice the price of most of other 4x12s, no casters and all? I've got a Mesa Traditional 4x12 with V30s, and I'm wondering how much of an upgrade it would be. Thanks!

• Members

I'm definently in the supporters camp.

Picked one up for the same price as a Mesa, at the end of the day it came down to looks.
Big clear sound, I haven't owned enough cabs to deduce the real differences in tone but it sounds damn nice. Mesa Dual Rec head sitting on top.

No castors as it has what are essential two planks on the bottom for feet rather than rubber. I use a dolly trolley type thing to move it around, makes life a lot easier. Weights only a problem if you have no one to help get it up/down stairs and in or out of cars (its really arkward to lift).

Only thing which bothers me a little bit, but I assume its the same with all cabs, is that the tolex appears to rip very easily. From moving it in and out of cars its got a few small (very small, 1-2mm) scratchs in tolex on the sides. I guess orange shows the marks more which may explain it.

• Members

If you bought the original Orange cabs from the 70's I'd say go for it but I did allot of research a while ago on modern day cabs from various companies and the word that kept coming back from shops selling them and amp guys was that the construction is cheap and they are crappy generally with allot of returns from buyers because {censored} kept falling off them ... tolex peeling away ... poor assembly. Looking pretty ain't always sounding pretty.

• Members

theyre heavy....i once carried one by myself down the stairs and about 50 metres after that....my back turned into a cheesedoodle.....took me 4 weeks to recover.

they punch out great bass.....i like the angled one better.

• Members

I have one and let me tell you they are worth every penny. My buddy has a 1960av and this thing just kills it. Not to mention it looks cool as hell. No joke they are awesome and they are still the same quality as years past. The reason they sound "darker" if you will is because those planks couple the cab to the stage. Try one and I think you will enjoy.:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by 68CUSTOMLESPAUL

Talking about Cabs here Tiki.........
:bor:

So was I, go back and read my earlier post. The same can be said by those same people of the amps themselves ... the cabs are {censored} - I hear it from all the people worth hearing things from. 70's Orange is not 90's - 2000's Orange.

• Members
Originally posted by 68CUSTOMLESPAUL

Well to each his own.......Crate is {censored},Orange is far from that, but hey what do i know?
:rolleyes:

Crate is {censored}, Your kidding right?!!! :p

I guess Olle was curious to know what you know and now that you mention not knowing anything ... tell us what you know about modern Orange compared to 70's Orange and set the record straight if you like. Nobody is going to question good solid info.

• Members

I know that my cab is a 2004 model and not only does it look and sound as great as Jeff Worleys orange cab from the 70s its also as heavy. It has the same construction and setup. I can understand how the amps may have lost quality with cheaper parts but the cabs are the same, sitting side by side you cant see hear or feel a difference. You can take that to the bank.:thu:

• Members

Hey, thats fine on a purely subjective level but what the pro's in town tell me is the opposite and these guys build amps and sell em and are OLD school - they've seen all the ptp stuff through to modern circuit board amps. I was shown examples of Orange gear by guys who sell it for their bosses and sure they look nice but look closer and it's a different story.

If your happy then more power to you.

• Members

I have a '70s Orange 4x12 and a newer 2x12 and both are very nice. The 2x12 seems to be constructed at least as well as the old 4x12. I have had the 2x12 for a couple years now and haven't had a problem with anything. It is a good bit brighter than the 4x12, but it has V30s and is 30 years newer, which probably explains alot of it. In my experience, the new ones are as good as the old ones. I would be happy with either (or both :) ) And like everyone lese said, they weight ALOT, 2x12 included.

Justin.

Archived