What effects does Brian May use for "We Will Rock You"

BigK335

• Members

Originally posted by MrSage

I'm not sure. I just love the clips on Scott's page!

hah. the treble booster is the effect I know least about. then again maybe I shouldn't because that would make me spend more money

ps 11,000 posts and you still don't know it all :rolleyes:

jk man. i'll be asking you for advice when i get some dough

• Members

....a big part of t hat sound is that his pickups can be put out of phase with each other and it gives it that cutting nasal honk - if youve ever heard out of phase pickps they sound awful clean - but run that into a sustaining distorting amp and youve got something :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Donner

....a big part of t hat sound is that his pickups can be put out of phase with each other and it gives it that cutting nasal honk - if youve ever heard out of phase pickps they sound awful clean - but run that into a sustaining distorting amp and youve got something
:thu:

Yep :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by loofery

sage, tell me how much of a difference there is with using a clean boost vs a treble booster on a nearly-cranked amp

thanks

a clean boost gives a full-range freq push towards your amp. a treble boost goes for more mid & trebly freqs, ones that generally excite a tube amp in a very distinct (and glorious) way.

it doesnt sound very exciting, but really they are worth giving a try (treble boosts in general, that is).

neck 'bucker and trebele booster. mmmmmmmmmm..........:love:

• Members

Originally posted by L6Sguy

neck 'bucker and trebele booster. mmmmmmmmmm..........
:love:

He's not kidding. Although I prefer a P90 for May-ish tones, since I can't seem to find a single coil with the same bite as May's. At least not ones that are readily available.

I might sell my Triboost (switchable treblue/full boost with 2 additional clean boost circuits) if you're interested. :thu:

• Members

That and clean boosts usually seem to go about it in a different manner than vintage style treble boosters and the like. Your average eq pedal or microamp prolly isn't using germanium based transistors to boost the signal (which is what the old dallas rangemasters used IIRC). So right there you have a dramatic difference in tonality. As far as I've come to understand it a big part of brian may's sound is his out of phase pickups and his dallas rangemaster (Which I believe someone posted a link to an excellent copy of already with the treblebooster.com link) so if you're really really after the sound check there. IMO those sorts of "Vintage" type boosts make the sweetest sounds from old non-mv tube amps you can get.

• Members

That and clean boosts usually seem to go about it in a different manner than vintage style treble boosters and the like. Your average eq pedal or microamp prolly isn't using germanium based transistors to boost the signal (which is what the old dallas rangemasters used IIRC). So right there you have a dramatic difference in tonality. As far as I've come to understand it a big part of brian may's sound is his out of phase pickups and his dallas rangemaster (Which I believe someone posted a link to an excellent copy of already with the treblebooster.com link) so if you're really really after the sound check there. IMO those sorts of "Vintage" type boosts make the sweetest sounds from old non-mv tube amps you can get.

• Members

The octave type effect is cos May is playing the solo high up on the neck - Asus with a few extra bits. He's not just playing single notes.

Unless you're talking about the intro to the solo beneath the last chorus, inwhich case we're dealing with feedback. Probably my favourite piece of feedback ever. I think it's a C, played near the 12th fret, and let ring.:thu:

I think I'll revisit my BYOC rangemaster clone this evening

• Members

The octave type effect is cos May is playing the solo high up on the neck - Asus with a few extra bits. He's not just playing single notes.

Unless you're talking about the intro to the solo beneath the last chorus, inwhich case we're dealing with feedback. Probably my favourite piece of feedback ever. I think it's a C, played near the 12th fret, and let ring.:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Vince

Unless you're talking about the intro to the solo beneath the last chorus, inwhich case we're dealing with feedback. Probably my favourite piece of feedback ever. I think it's a C, played near the 12th fret, and let ring.
:thu:

You can say that again ;)

• Members

Go find an old fireplace mantle, it has to be, oh, 100 years old or so. Build yourself a guitar out of it along with some old motorcycle parts and some Burns single coil pickups.

Buy or build a Rangemaster treble booster; If you build one it shouldn't cost more than thirty bucks or so.

Finally, get a couple of vintage JMI Vox AC-30's and an old Echoplex, hook it all up, and jam.

It helps to have a modicum of ability to play the guitar.