Boss OD-3

• Members

Yes, it is a lot different than a tube screamer. The dual-stage point is telling you that there are two stages of clipping/overdrive/distortion that occur. Maybe they were trying to imply that it had a amp feel because there was a pre-amp clipping section and a power tube distortion section....not sure if they were trying to say that.....but it does make for a cool sounding selling point. ;-)

Robert

• Members

I've heard good things about the OD-3. I've been messing around with the SD-1, and it's got more top end and is quite transparent. It sounds quite good with my Telecaster. The OD-3 is supposed to be smoother sounding though. I'm not sure if smoother is always better though -- sometimes too much smoothness can translate into blandness when making recordings. The SD-1 kind of reminds of some of Andy Summers' Police-era mild OD sounds... and a lot of that post-punk sound in general.

• Members

I prefer tube screamers myself. But the OD-3 is an excellent pedal. I think it sounds somewhere between a BD-2 and an SD-1. Nicer sounding than the SD-1, and not as peircing as the bd-2. I personally like the midrange of my tubescreamer. I liked the sd-1 at times also, but whatever I liked about the sd-1 I liked more about the od-3. But I prefer the tube screamers, so I'll probably be putting the od-3 and the sd-1 on e-bay at some time.

• Members

Originally posted by Uma Floresta

I've heard good things about the OD-3. I've been messing around with the SD-1, and it's got more top end and is quite transparent. It sounds quite good with my Telecaster. The OD-3 is supposed to be smoother sounding though. I'm not sure if smoother is always better though -- sometimes too much smoothness can translate into blandness when making recordings. The SD-1 kind of reminds of some of Andy Summers' Police-era mild OD sounds... and a lot of that post-punk sound in general.

I wouldn't say that it's overly smooth. Some OD's sound real processed, and tight. Almost too pretty. The OD-3 definitely has a more amp like feel. And it interacts real well with other dirt pedals. At least the ones I use. When I run the OD-3 into a Mr. Sage Rocket Drive, I get a real nice Marshall-y crunch. And I can run a fuzz into it, and it doesn't cut all the volume out. Also, a lot of dirt pedals I've tried sound better with humbuckers, and this is one of the few that in my opinion sounds just as good, or better w/ single coils. There's a slight mid-hump, but not as much as the tubescreamer, but I usually have the mids cranked on my amp anyway.

• Members

Originally posted by jackpotjewell

I wouldn't say that it's overly smooth. Some OD's sound real processed, and tight. Almost too pretty. The OD-3 definitely has a more amp like feel. And it interacts real well with other dirt pedals. At least the ones I use. When I run the OD-3 into a Mr. Sage Rocket Drive, I get a real nice Marshall-y crunch. And I can run a fuzz into it, and it doesn't cut all the volume out. Also, a lot of dirt pedals I've tried sound better with humbuckers, and this is one of the few that in my opinion sounds just as good, or better w/ single coils. There's a slight mid-hump, but not as much as the tubescreamer, but I usually have the mids cranked on my amp anyway.

Interesting. I'll have to try one out.

• Members

I don't see why the OD-3 isn't more popular. It's extremely transparent. Your guitar and amp sound like your guitar and amp, it just adds gain as you turn up the knob. I got a tip from Robert Keeley on this pedal. He told me to remove D6 and D7 diodes, just lift one end if you want to put them back later. It was MUCH cleaner sounding, all the hardhness was gone. They add a little gain, but not much. Mostly what they add is harshness. Try it, it takes 10 minutes. You can get one of these, mint, on ebay for $50 to $60. It's the deal of all time. I'm buying all of them I can get my hands on, they are gonna get popular real fast. I hope.

• Members

Just bought one, I am waiting for it to arrive.
Miss all my old Boss pedals I used to have in my youth.
So I thought that I would try most of the newer ones instead:)
And the OD-3 sounded like an interesting drive.

• Members

I've got one and I use an Es-335 through an AC30. It's very close to the ideal overdive tone for me, but I find it could be a little thicker and a little middier to cut through. But that could be just the guitar and my fingers. I'd really love to get a Tele and see how it sounds through one of those.

• Members

Originally posted by jb1911

I don't see why the OD-3 isn't more popular. It's extremely transparent. Your guitar and amp sound like your guitar and amp, it just adds gain as you turn up the knob. I got a tip from Robert Keeley on this pedal. He told me to remove D6 and D7 diodes, just lift one end if you want to put them back later. It was MUCH cleaner sounding, all the hardhness was gone. They add a little gain, but not much. Mostly what they add is harshness. Try it, it takes 10 minutes. You can get one of these, mint, on ebay for $50 to $60. It's the deal of all time. I'm buying all of them I can get my hands on, they are gonna get popular real fast. I hope.

Would you mind describing a little more as to what this mod does? You say that it's cleaner sounding and the hardhness was gone. Is that Hardness? or Harshness? And by cleaner, does it take away the compression and make it like a clean boost or something?

• Members

Originally posted by jb1911

This is the mod for me , as my od3 would be great without the harshness going on .. can't i just clip the diodes .. as i have no soldering experience..

Archived