Which pedal tuner?

• Members

I'm looking at the new Planet Waves pedal tuner, the Fender PT-100, and the Korg DT10. I'm leaning torwards the Fender one since it's only $45 on Musicians friend compared to the PW which is $80 and the Korg which is $90, but does anybody have any experience with its accuracy? Any pros/cons on any of these? Thanks.

-JD

• Members

I have the Fender... and although it may be ok for a bit, I'd say it is a bad design, not accurate enough, and is built poorly.

I have to keep mine out of my signal path because the switch is so cheap that it's own weight causes it to turn on and off by itself.

Because it is not accurate enough, and the afforementioned cheapness issue I'm about to have to get the Planet Waves... or the Peterson Strobostomp (If I can justify that! people here are helping that process though :D). And because I have to replace it, that means that I lost money because I didn't buy something I wouldn't have had to replace in the first place.

My friend has the DT10, and it is awesome... way better than the fender and is built like a tank. I'd say it's a toss up between the PW and the DT10, don't even consider the Fender.

• Members

I've had lots of tuners, and now have the Peterson VS-II. It is by far the best ever! It allows you to be in such "perfect" tune, it is amazing. Don't be "afraid" of learning to use the strobe effect, it is quite easy. The "guitar temperment" mode is especially nice (what I use all the time), and although all tunings are basically compromises, if you have good intonation on your guitars, it will make them sound better. The Strobostomp, which is basically the same technology in a pedal, should give you similar results:thu: You get what you pay for:D

• Members

Originally posted by boogiesurfer

I've had lots of tuners, and now have the Peterson VS-II. It is by far the best ever! It allows you to be in such "perfect" tune, it is amazing. Don't be "afraid" of learning to use the strobe effect, it is quite easy. The "guitar temperment" mode is especially nice (what I use all the time), and although all tunings are basically compromises, if you have good intonation on your guitars, it will make them sound better. The Strobostomp, which is basically the same technology in a pedal, should give you similar results:thu: You get what you pay for:D

Stop that dangit!! I gots bills!

• Members

i've had a DT10 for a couple of years now and the buffer is great. it's the first on my chain and i do not notice any significant tone loss.

i keep seeing it for cheaper than $90, try another retailer since i usually see them cost less than the Boss TU2.

go for Korg.

• Members

Since touring solidly since November we've had a few Korg DT-10s crap out on us, switches mostly, sometimes the chip has gone gaga.

TU-2s are far more rugged

Even better is at bypass loop or a volume pedal with a BOSS TU-12H running off it.

• Members

I use the DT-10. It's accurate enough I suppose, but the thing that gets me is it never locks dead on to the green LED. It always fluctuates either + or - just a wee bit. I'm wondering if machine heads with a higher gear ratio on the guitars would help.

I don't have a Strobostomp, but I do have a Peterson VS-II, and it's a great tuner! FAR more accurate than the Boss TU-12 I have on my board... but for live use - and I don't play live very often, that's good enough for me.

I was looking at a Planet Waves tuner at the store the other day - it's bigger than I thought it was going to be when I saw the pictures. If I ever need to replace the tuner on my board, I would either go with that or the Strobostomp.

• Members

Yes Phil, it is great. One thing that few seem to bring up is the accuracy of the Petersons vs. most everything else. Most tuners have an accuracy of +/- one cent. The petersons are +/- 0.1 cent! Ten times the accuracy, and it does make a difference:cool:

Well for me, the Peterson is the only tuner that I've ever owned that I felt was accurate enough to do intonation setups with. And in the studio, I'm pretty picky about pitch, so I definitely wanted a good tuner with great accuracy - the Peterson has never let me down. :cool:

Archived