Roland JD-990/JD-800 competition

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Doesn't matter much which rev is inside when they didn't addressed the main problem: Filter Clipping (that awful digital distortion). Happens with resonance above 40% @ cutoff tracking 100%, mid cutoff frequency.

To avoid this problem in JV-1080 they put OSC Gain for user to choose: -6,0,+6,+12dB prior to filter so clipping doesn't happen. But JD-990 is permanently set to +6 according to my findings. Funny thing is XV-5080 won't clip even when you put it to +6dB due to much greater dynamical range of the filter. I tested them side by side.

• Members

Doesn't matter much which rev is inside when they didn't addressed the main problem: Filter Clipping (that awful digital distortion). Happens with resonance above 40% @ cutoff tracking 100%, mid cutoff frequency.

To avoid this problem in JV-1080 they put OSC Gain for user to choose: -6,0,+6,+12dB prior to filter so clipping doesn't happen. But JD-990 is permanently set to +6 according to my findings. Funny thing is XV-5080 won't clip even when you put it to +6dB due to much greater dynamical range of the filter. I tested them side by side.

Good to know! Ive never run into enough issues to worry about revisions on these and they chug along just fine! I still say the best synth for the money in the freakin world- I only paid 450 for BOTH one included the vintage synth card (and they didn't mention it in the auction- obviously didn't know to look, and that one was only $200 ebay buy it now...:love:)

• Members

It's a sort of a contest in contest. 5 cool patches in 10 minutes. Don't expect miracles. But then, don't expect crap neither. I'll take my cell phone el-crapo camera and record the whole event. :lol:

So far Burster and Puppy applied for them. Of course, the more people take them, the more songs will sound alike. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

This morning I'll spend loading card data back into my JD-990. Also re-programming several sounds which weren't saved. :cry: I had a bad scare this Wed. when my 990 on power up produced nothing more than a "green screen". A little surgery yesterday opening her up, I found and replaced a standard 3V lithium battery (CR2032) and I'm back in business!!! I purchased this synth module new years ago, (sold my JD-800 to do so), and babied her ever since. After all these years I was pleasantly surprised to see virtually NO dust inside. Still like brand new! Oh yeah :thu:

Some day I'll stop being lazy & post a song here with my 990. Although I do have the SR-JV80 Vintage Synth expansion board inside so I'll have to make sure I don't "cheat" and use any wave forms from it.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

contest1yn0.gif

New tracks submitted: by Burster1 and Don Solaris (experimental)

• Burster Electric Burst new track from Burster :thu:

• Don Solaris Roland JD-2001 - a small ambient piece in 'Odyssey 2001' style with my custom patches.

And now.... some experimenting with the JD. I forced it to say:

Yaaa-Yeah!

Note for non JD owners: there are no vocal samples in the JD, specially not the "yaa yeah". This is 60 minutes of programming, not easy, requires lot of calculations, etc; but it works!!!

• Members

Good song, Burster. I would have expected something different from you since your primary instrument is the MPCs. Good sounds, Don.

We should have competitions for other synths too - Wavestation, D50, DX7 (or an all-FM competition) are some that come to mind. I could start a Fusion competition but I doubt it'd be very popular :p

Guest Anonymous

Good song, Burster. I would have expected something different from you since your primary instrument is the MPCs.

Thanx, Actually the MPC is my main sequencer/drum machine. I also have a nice selection of synths to choose from. Some of the sounds in this song are from the sys file Don posted above and others are factory, Vintage Synth expansion and tweaked sounds. The drum kit also took a while to tune up to the key of A and tweak. For example. The snare and tom rolls are tuned to a minor A scale and the kick is in A. I also side chained the kick via the Smack compressor to the bass to keep them from rubbing out of tune with each other.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi guys ;)

I'm Yvo, a french boy, who love synthesizer !!

Sorry for my english, very sorry if it isn't so good ;)

I am discovering this forum, and this is great !

So, i have a JD800, and i had a lot of fun and admiration to listen your demo.

Waooo what a marvelous job on your JD, thank you all !!

I want to submit my own demo, made only with my JD800, in multi mode, no expansion card, recording in real time direct in my pc.

I'm working with a midi sequencer ( Magix Midi studio 7), and my JD in multi mode only, for that demo.

It is a little Psy Trance track ;)

http://dubois.y.free.fr/JD800/LesChampisDuJarDinier.mp3 in english, The Gardener's Mushroom :p

• Members

Hey Yvo,

thats a great job, man! I really like the sounds and the style :-)

How do you like the programming of the 800 with all those sliders and buttons?

I sold my jd900 due to the tedious editing... I think of getting a jd800 though :-)

Best regards - Mentris

Archived