Is the Keeley Compressor worth the extra dough?

FFG37

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

I've had the Tone Press for a few years now and it's all I could want in a Comp and more ... not only does it have a blend knob for blending your dry signal parallel to your compression but you can run it as a clean boost and you have adjustable trim pots inside the pedal to adjust the amount of squish you like in your comp. Add to that fact that it's only $139 USD and you've got a winner on all counts.

This could be the winner, since it's so much cheaper than the Keeley. I could take the extra cash and get a Phase 90

• Members

Originally posted by FFG37

This could be the winner, since it's so much cheaper than the Keeley. I could take the extra cash and get a Phase 90

It's a killer comp mang ... myself and many others rate it as the best comp on the market and personally I prefer it to the Keeley for the options it affords me.

• Members

Originally posted by Wilbo26

I guess my problem is that I don't like the 'extra pop' that comps seem to add.

A comp cannot respond instantaneously because otherwise it would distort a lot (distortion is a limiter with attack and release both = 0). However many comps make it worse in that they kill the high end when compressing. So it goes straight from attack pop to muddy and the subjective effect can even be the exact opposite of what it is supposed to be.

I rate the Ibanez Soundtank compressor far above any of Boss's offerings. The most amazing compressor in some ways I've tried is within the Yamaha GEP50 digital rack unit, this allows not only blending of the dry signal but negative attack delay, where the entire audio is delayed slightly to allow the comp to respond to the attack before the audio comes through (even the "dry" is delayed to avoid phase effect). You can also use that comp as a compressed echo.

• Members

I'm telling you guys, and this is no buyer's favoritism. I used the keeley on my band's recording and though it does compress well, it is anything but transparent. The BJF is and along with that has as good or better compression.

• Members
Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Now if James would just start using something other than 1/8" power jacks...
:(

Honestly. Adam, tell James to knock it off :mad:

You know I love my Demeter's but I can't even find those damn power supplys and I don't gig with batteries Brother. You guys should be forced to include the power supply with these pedals if James doesn't change his ways. :mad:

:cool:

:wave:

• Members

The Keeley is worth the money folks. But Comps, like every other genre of pedal - have their own idiosynchrisis and personalities that will make some people love this one or that one and others hate them for whatever they don't do - or how they do it..

The Keeley Comp was my very first Pedal Pick of the Month back in December 2002. I still have it, it's been everywhere on the road with me, had a CC & Coke spilled on it once, and build quality for the gigging musician IS worth the extra money IMHO.

The other thing the Keeley Comp inspired me to do was to buy other Comps because I discovered "happily" that other Comps do sound different, allow you to have more fun with matching up certain overdrives and distortion & fuzz boxes that the Keeley and/or others seem to best suited to, over squish and compress if you're in the mood for that, or have just a touch of punch up that's perfect for certain situations and to fit your mood.

Like any other pedal out there -there is no one all, do all, satisfy all to meet the demands of musicians everywhere. Choice is good. Comparisons are necessary and appreciated. But to answer the question are the Keeley Comps worth the money -the answer is yes on many levels.

For the record I have the following Comps now in my collection:

Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Home Brew Electronics CPR Compressor
Ibanez CP-835 Compressor II (Vintage)
Teese FK-1 Compressor
Toadworks Mr Squishy Compressor
Tone Factor Squeeze Factor Compressor

I have also had the DOD Milkbox & the Visual Sounds Rt 66 (one side is the Compressor channel)

(I also owned the original old grey Ross Compressor that spawned all these clones and improved variations) - it was one cool compressor that would sustain a lead note for days - but it was also inherently noisy (white noise) when turned well up on the settings - not worth the prices these things have been fetching by no means whatsoever IMO..

The Keeley Comp was the only Comp I owned and used for about 2 years and it served me perfectly well in the studio and on the road. Two snaps up for the House of Blue Lights anyway you look at it.

:thu: :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by 1DZReverendDavidLee

The Keeley is worth the money folks. But Comps, like every other genre of pedal - have their own idiosynchrisis and personalities that will make some people love this one or that one and others hate them for whatever they don't do - or how they do it..

The Keeley Comp was my very first Pedal Pick of the Month back in December 2002. I still have it, it's been everywhere on the road with me, had a CC & Coke spilled on it once, and build quality for the gigging musician IS worth the extra money IMHO.

The other thing the Keeley Comp inspired me to do was to buy other Comps because I discovered "happily" that other Comps do sound different, allow you to have more fun with matching up certain overdrives and distortion & fuzz boxes that the Keeley and/or others seem to best suited to, over squish and compress if you're in the mood for that, or have just a touch of punch up that's perfect for certain situations and to fit your mood.

Like any other pedal out there -there is no one all, do all, satisfy all to meet the demands of musicians everywhere. Choice is good. Comparisons are necessary and appreciated. But to answer the question are the Keeley Comps worth the money -the answer is yes on many levels.

For the record I have the following Comps now in my collection:

Teese FK-1 Compressor

I have also had the DOD Milkbox & the Visual Sounds Rt 66 (one side is the Compressor channel)

(I also owned the original old grey Ross Compressor that spawned all these clones and improved variations) - it was one cool compressor that would sustain a lead note for days - but it was also inherently noisy (white noise) when turned well up on the settings - not worth the prices these things have been fetching by no means whatsoever IMO..

The Keeley Comp was the only Comp I owned and used for about 2 years and it served me perfectly well in the studio and on the road. Two snaps up for the House of Blue Lights anyway you look at it.

:thu:
:thu:

Ah! Ha!
I see I need to send you something.
GEAR SLUT!!!!
:love: :love: :love:

• Members
Originally posted by MonkeyKnifeFighter

You could always mod a Boss and get marginal results and tone suckage.

Funny, my Boss mod gave me a big difference and no tone suck-age here.

See the difference between most boutique effects and commercial ones is part quality.

That is why said pedals have the "tone suckage" rep by the cork sniffers.

Upgrade those crappy parts and the tone suckage no longer happens.

Don't believe the hype or fake HC reviews.

What fake reviews or hype?

Tell me, what fairy dust magic does these boutique pedal makers use that us mere mortals can't get ahold of?

I am honestly curious. :wave:

Hell you even go to their page and they will TELL YOU that is EXACTLY what sets them apart.

Using metal film caps and resistors instead of carbon or ceramic etc. Quieter operation and less tone suckage.

You replace the low quality parts on the mass produce effects and you get the same results.

It's not magic.

• Members
Originally posted by 1DZReverendDavidLee

Teese FK-1 Compressor

You really owe it to yourself Dave to get a Tone Press ... my mind is made up that this is the best comp on the market - I'm not alone in that thinking either. :thu:

Archived