The market is over-saturated w/ OD pedals

dixxon

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Meh...it's a given the market is rediculously saturated with endless varieties of the same thing, covering the whole price range from reasonable to stupid (my theory is there is a strong correlation between this and the buyer's mentality). :D

A recent study into product choice in general showed that once you have more than 3 choices or options, the whole process of choosing becomes largely irrational and unsatisfying, and more anxious as the amount of choice increases.

I've recently sold all but two of my pedals, and soon they'll be on the block. It's a good feeling...less burden and complication. A rack system would send me insane. :freak:

• Members

Originally posted by Janglin_Jack

I think a lot of the younger crowd think that Pedals are the key to good sound. Instead of the old days, where it was all amp.

Go get a great sounding tube amp, then almost any solid OD will sound great. Too many people are looking for their crappy solid state practice amp/pedal to sound like a Bassman, Marshall stack, etc.

Jack

just how many people arround here do you think play thorugh a SS practice amp and have a bunch of $200+ pedals sitting arround.. I can assure you the number is quite small.

I always used overdrives so that i would not have to carry two amps 3 blocks from my parking spot to the gig. Lugging one 2X12 100 watt combo is a lot of work. That is breath i need to save for playing... and well... drinking...

• Members

Originally posted by dixxon

How about Reverb Pedals ?...specifically those that purport to emulate "spring reverb" Reverb is my favorite effect... or, at least, the one I most like to have...I recently gigged w/ a Twin Reverb Reissue that was supplied by the venue and the reverb didn't work.. Really missed it and wished I had a reveb pedal of some sort. Not a delay pedal. What's a good one ?

reverb before preamps... icky

might work well as an effect for something, but i have tried it before and i dont really find it natural sounding, especially when playing loud.

• Members
Originally posted by 4Kenoath

Meh...it's a given the market is rediculously saturated with endless varieties of the same thing, covering the whole price range from reasonable to stupid (my theory is there is a strong correlation between this and the buyer's mentality).
:D

A recent study into product choice in general showed that once you have more than 3 choices or options, the whole process of choosing becomes largely irrational and unsatisfying, and more anxious as the amount of choice increases.

it makes total sense. good post.

• Members

I'm pretty well covered in the TS-9 style overdrive department...what I really need/want (in addition to these) is a decent Distortion pedal in the under $100 range....looking for Marshall tone....input welcome

• Members

Okay I read all 3 pages before coming in to comment here and if you've been on this forum for more than a few days - you all know my love of overdrives and dirt boxes.

It's a free country folks and if I, and others around the globe wish to invest in a variety of this genre of pedals because we like to, it brings us pleasure and enjoyment, we have the funds available to buy them - what in the world is wrong with that.

To each his or her own. I too have been playing for decades and some of the joy I get out of trying and collecting new pedals is I suppose somewhat in fulfilling that void of decent pedals that were not available especially back when I was very young. I actually laugh outloud at some of the current prices some of those crappy, poorly built POS's from yesteryear are fetching these days.

Yes I agree wholeheartedly that the market is saturated with this genre of pedals - but that's because the demand for them always has been, and always will be - high. People like them, they buy them, they trade them and swap them -which gives alot of us the opportunity to acquire them for less than new prices - which benefits everyone.

If I'm a painter - please don't tell me how many colors I have to choose from. I like the wide array available in every genre of pedal in this day and age -variety is good, competition between builders is good - it makes them all work harder and be more creative to try to earn our money and our respect.

Yes there is a substantial mark up on pedal prices - I used to have an online store and so I know the margins. So what. There's a markup on everything you buy folks - unless you personally are manufacturing your own products. That was the genius of Keith from Big Tone Music Brewery - now called Build Your Own Clone - and others - who brought forth DIY kits... so with a little patience and minimal soldering skills you could actually build your own pedals with little or no experience and save some money and learn alot about what goes into designing and making a pedal which. in and of itself, is very interesting.

Variety and choice is good. The alternative of just having a few decent pedals to choose from as opposed to literally hundreds of them would upset me even more. People are individuals and are entitled to make their own choices about the tools they use and pay whatever prices they're willing to pay to get the tone they're after.

And whether you're an amateur trying not to sound like one, or a professional still developing your own sound & techniques - it's all good. If some kid can buy a pedal with the Auto-Riff feature and only have to hit one note to throw down some Stevie Vai riff -well, as much as that pisses me off cuz I had to actually learn some of those riffs - but that it keeps him or her interested in music and making music - then it's all good.

The technolgy available today to be able to record and produce your own music (without have a record company sign you on) and upload it on the internet for the entire world to hear - and you don't even need to be in a band to sound like you're in one with the tools available today - is truly amazing. Technology is good. Variety is good. And creativity grows and expands.

Oversaturated? Perhaps to some degree.. but the choices are almost endless and that is what keeps music entertaining, creativity fun and enjoyable, and keeps bringing us back to these hunks of wood and steel decade after decade after decade and keeps it fun.

Now - sign off the computer, go plug in your Bad Monkeys or your ZIMs or whatever -make some music - and enjoy the journey and the search for tone. I'm having a blast here - I suggest you do the same. :D

:wave:

• Members
Originally posted by 1DZReverendDavidLee

Okay I read all 3 pages before coming in to comment here and if you've been on this forum for more than a few days - you all know my love of overdrives and dirt boxes.

It's a free country folks and if I, and others around the globe wish to invest in a variety of this genre of pedals because we like to, it brings us pleasure and enjoyment, we have the funds available to buy them - what in the world is wrong with that.

To each his or her own. I too have been playing for decades and some of the joy I get out of trying and collecting new pedals is I suppose somewhat in fulfilling that void of decent pedals that were not available especially back when I was very young. I actually laugh outloud at some of the current prices some of those crappy, poorly built POS's from yesteryear are fetching these days.

Yes I agree wholeheartedly that the market is saturated with this genre of pedals - but that's because the demand for them always has been, and always will be - high. People like them, they buy them, they trade them and swap them -which gives alot of us the opportunity to acquire them for less than new prices - which benefits everyone.

If I'm a painter - please don't tell me how many colors I have to choose from. I like the wide array available in every genre of pedal in this day and age -variety is good, competition between builders is good - it makes them all work harder and be more creative to try to earn our money and our respect.

Yes there is a substantial mark up on pedal prices - I used to have an online store and so I know the margins. So what. There's a markup on everything you buy folks - unless you personally are manufacturing your own products. That was the genius of Keith from Big Tone Music Brewery - now called Build Your Own Clone - and others - who brought forth DIY kits... so with a little patience and minimal soldering skills you could actually build your own pedals with little or no experience and save some money and learn alot about what goes into designing and making a pedal which. in and of itself, is very interesting.

Variety and choice is good. The alternative of just having a few decent pedals to choose from as opposed to literally hundreds of them would upset me even more. People are individuals and are entitled to make their own choices about the tools they use and pay whatever prices they're willing to pay to get the tone they're after.

And whether you're an amateur trying not to sound like one, or a professional still developing your own sound & techniques - it's all good. If some kid can buy a pedal with the
Auto-Riff
feature and only have to hit one note to throw down some Stevie Vai riff -well, as much as that pisses me off cuz I had to actually learn some of those riffs - but that it keeps him or her interested in music and making music - then it's all good.

The technolgy available today to be able to record and produce your own music (without have a record company sign you on) and upload it on the internet for the entire world to hear - and you don't even need to be in a band to sound like you're in one with the tools available today - is truly amazing. Technology is good. Variety is good. And creativity grows and expands.

Oversaturated? Perhaps to some degree.. but the choices are almost endless and that is what keeps music entertaining, creativity fun and enjoyable, and keeps bringing us back to these hunks of wood and steel decade after decade after decade and keeps it fun.

Now - sign off the computer, go plug in your Bad Monkeys or your ZIMs or whatever -make some music - and enjoy the journey and the search for tone. I'm having a blast here - I suggest you do the same.

I like you. This is a nice post.

• Members

I think a lot of the younger crowd think that Pedals are the key to good sound. Instead of the old days, where it was all amp.

What old days are you talking about? The 50's maybe???

Since the mid 60's many guitar sounds that people think of as "all amp" were actually a combination of overdrive or fuzz along with a tube amp.

Go get a great sounding tube amp, then almost any solid OD will sound great. Too many people are looking for their crappy solid state practice amp/pedal to sound like a Bassman, Marshall stack, etc.

That's a certainly a nice formula, like I said a tried and true method since the mid sixties. :wave:

• Members

Originally posted by Matter-Eater Lad

I believe Devo said it best:

"What you want is freedom of choice. What you get is freedom from choice."

thats {censored}ing brilliant. devo said that. i actually have thought that. its cool devo said that. awesome. very encouraging.

• Members

Originally posted by dixxon

I'm pretty well covered in the TS-9 style overdrive department...what I really need/want (in addition to these) is a decent Distortion pedal in the under $100 range....looking for Marshall tone....input welcome

Barber Direct Drive-may be about $20 over your limit-got mine for $65 used. Very nice Marshally grind-don't forget to pull up the middle knob for some extra contour boost. Nice at about 9:00 with an already overdriven amp or 3:00 to wide open with a clean amp.

• Members
Originally posted by 1DZReverendDavidLee

And whether you're an amateur trying not to sound like one, or a professional still developing your own sound & techniques - it's all good. If some kid can buy a pedal with the
Auto-Riff
feature and only have to hit one note to throw down some Stevie Vai riff -well, as much as that pisses me off cuz I had to actually learn some of those riffs - but that it keeps him or her interested in music and making music - then it's all good.

Now - sign off the computer, go plug in your Bad Monkeys or your ZIMs or whatever -make some music - and enjoy the journey and the search for tone. I'm having a blast here - I suggest you do the same.

Hey dave... its barely relevant, but since you brought up painters, i thought id mention that my friends neighbor makes oil paint brushes for a living. Some of them are in the $1200 range.

I dont really like the phrase "searching for tone" it sort of implies that there is only one ideal tone. My background is heavilly rooted in low budget recording production, and engineering. If there was only one idea tone guitar music would be really boring.

• Members

I'll leave the question of whether there are "too many" OD's out there to others, and ask this: Assuming there were too many, i.e., too many for consumers to find / evaluate / purchase / use, what do you think the effect on the pedal market would be? I've been thinking for some time that with all of the options out there, and all of the new ones cropping-up every day, it's more than likely that the market will eventually come to a head, and from there proceed into a steep decline. Afterall, didn't the entire boutique pedal market begin in response to an unfilled demand for more reliable / better versions of pedals that were long out of production (or at least not being made in the same way / with the same level of quality, e.g., Tubescreamers, Big Muffs, DynaComps, Analog Delays)? Now that the demand had been MORE than satified, additional build-up might prove unsustainable, and when this happens it could cause a general migration away from building effects. I'm sure there will always be people with a bug for tinkering and inventing new things, but I still get the feeling we're in the midsts of a boom that can't last forever.

Archived