We want Synth Jam!

Yoozer

• Members

Well, do you?

No poll. Those are too easy to mess with. No clone accounts; if you just have 20 posts and a registration date of today, your vote won't count.

Do you want a Synth Jam forum like the Cool Jam of the Guitars part of the forum? E.g. a place where you can go all off-topic you want (if it's still within the rules) and chat without having the OJ audience watching? Yes? Or no?

Then vote here by posting a YAY or NAY, accompanied of your opinion/explanation/whatever if you want to. Don't like the name? Post your idea about what it should be called, then.

We'll then count the votes manually after a while when everyone has had enough of a chance to give the chance to voice their opinion. If there are enough people who want something like that, I'm more than happy to negotiate it for you. This works better than a poll, because everyone can vote, everyone can count the votes for themselves, and there's much less of a chance to cheat.

Disclaimer : If the majority votes YAY - I can't give you any guarantees but I promise I'll do my very best :).

• Members

Originally posted by Doug Gifford

NAY

There's really not that much off-topic stuff (perhaps one in ten threads are OT) and it's part of the fabric of the forum. Let it be. (and don't worry about the recent whining, there's always somebody moaning about something)

what he said.

• Members

NAY

connecting an OT forum to an instrumental technique seems a bit absurd and a waste of resources...one Open Jam is enough, bs. can be sung in any key, more the people in that forum more the fun for who goes there, a way also to make musicians or techs of various branches meet...

• Members

Maybe ask the question again when the forum is actualy busy and there is a decent amount of key/synth/sampler traffic.

Right now this forum is at about the lowest ebb I have seen it.

If there was ever a justification for a forum split - then I dont think its OT stuff - its endless Im a noob and want my first board threads which could probably be largely answered by useful sticky thread :)

I have no problem with noobs of course - we were all there once - but an endless stream of such posts asking allmost the same thing and getting allmost the same answers makes for boring reading after a while.

I guess another point - while none of us want to go back to the huge flames wars of old - at least there was some passion, spirit and life here back then - and yes - some of it got way out of hand, and it seems many of those typically involved have now been mostly banned - you have to admit - it made for some amusing reading at times. I think those bans remove alot of life from this place. But idiots like chas bitching at the mods aint the way to fix it either...

I see alot of tumble weed blowing around at the moment :)

"Its Life Jim... but not as we know it."

• Members

Oh well, I wasn't planning on taking this one down for a while. You're right about the newbie stuff, though. It's a problem I've seen on a lot of forums.

Re: banning - hm. This forum is probably one where the ban/traffic ratio is really low. I mean, all those banned either returned under different nicknames, and the rest just left.

• Members

Yeh - I agree - bans/traffic is quite low, not sure what happened really but it seems alot of 'characters' around here now seem to have "banned" as their tag line :)

And yes - I saw the well deserved reasons for it, but I have to wonder hell it go tto that in the first place...

Im sure it will pick up again sometime... but talk of splits is something that keeps coming up for various reasons - I just think now is *really* the wrong time.

OT traffic mostly doesnt bother me - some of it is highly relevent to keyboard players of all types.

For me personally, my interest is allways in what fairly hard core synth abusers do with their gear and what gear they use, what fx, processing, tricks/hacks. I think the Look ma Im a synthesist thread should be a sticky.

Actually semi serious / semi joking if one day this forum were to split, maybe down the lines of rompler/electro/giggers and us gear whore electronica types.

Another interesting view here - some of the nastier flames wars have seemed to have one of two from each of those groups on each side... so may serve a harmonising purpose as well as lets face it - most of us gears whores who love exploring synths and generally fekking around with them dont seem to be quite on the same wavelength as the rompler/one-synth-for-all wtf you need all that {censored} for crowd :)

• Members

Originally posted by Yoozer

Oh well, I wasn't planning on taking this one down for a while. You're right about the newbie stuff, though. It's a problem I've seen on a lot of forums.

Commenting about newbies:

I have read sometimes, when this topic comes again, about the newbies.

Well, sometimes can be a pain in the *ss some newbies questions.

But who is the newbie? I was a newbie here when I arrive at KSS some years ago.

The newbie can be a neophyte to synths, but also, can be someone who haven

• Members

Going against the grain, I'll say Yea (that's the proper spelling of Yay, btw... ;) ), only because it would end the bitching once and for all that comes up about every 3-6 months about how there's too much OT postings (including the occaisional bitch from some of the above). That being said, I actually like the forum as it is.. So, maybe that's really a Nay.

• Members

NAY

there really is no problem with too much OT threads. unless its in the mind of an moderator who wants to make it a problem, and starts locking things .. and "save us from ourselves". and i dont mean you yozz..

theres was nothing wrong with kss. you guys should pay more attention to ocassional trolls showing up from other forums to create mayhem here and provoke ppl. not hard to detect really. thats what u should be wathcing for. leave the OT threads the alone.. if it aint broken dont fix it.

my 0.02 euro

• Members

I think that there should be a other forum where you can ask the lamest n00b questions and how to create some specific sounds and offcourse off-topic. (all in one ofc) while this forum should rule more generalised (for example what do you think about Korg's newest synth) the answer is it rules :p

Archived