Chameleons appreciation thread

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I'm reviving this thread for the EFX question.

Dave Fielding - anyone know what he used Script of the Bridge onwards? I can get an approximation with RV3, DMM and my Ibanez CS9 but just not quite there.

Yeah, Chameleons are in my top five favorite bands. Their dual guitar work is amazing.

• Members

yeah i guess you could say i'm a fan. them and the sound are pretty much the most played on my ipod. i really think that gear wise it's more about the approach than whatever they used. a modulation delay and reverb and a semi clean amp will get you there though.

script of the bridge is just about the most amazing record that i have ever heard.

• Members

yeah i guess you could say i'm a fan. them and the sound are pretty much the most played on my ipod. i really think that gear wise it's more about the approach than whatever they used. a modulation delay and reverb and a semi clean amp will get you there though.

script of the bridge is just about the most amazing record that i have ever heard.

I'm thinking maybe I need another reverb pedal in addition to my RV3 to go along with my amp reverb (my amp's reverb is lame at higher levels, but ok around 9 o'clock.)

• Members

i would of course avoid using the effects loop if you have one. doubt if they did plus i bet it would sound too clean. i would also try an older rackmount digital mod delay. one with a lower bit rate. i bet that is what he was using. i'll take a close look at the gallery club DVD in the day or two and see what i can see.

the microfrets guitar in that DVD is awesome and the Black SG with the eyeball stickers all over it.

• Members

One of my wife's favorite songs ever - and mine too. I'm trying to get the band to agree to cover it, it would fit very well with our set. I'm having a hard time convincing them though.

my old band covered the fan and the bellows. it was awesome.

• Members

No way! a Chameleons appreciation thread. I got to see them twice back in the day, as far as gear goes, I think one of the guitarists used a JC120. 'Script' is indeed a fine album, it's just a shame the record company only gave them '5 quid' to record it.

JC120 That's probably part of the equation. I've been "GAS"ing on one of those for years. It's also the reason I wont pay more than $100 for a chorus pedal. I'll probably get one eventually.

As far as the 5 quid, it doesn't sound like it on tape. It's deffinitely a better produced album that "What does anything mean, basically". By the time they recorded "Script" they were pretty damn tight.

• Members

As far as the 5 quid, it doesn't sound like it on tape. It's deffinitely a better produced album that "What does anything mean, basically". By the time they recorded "Script" they were pretty damn tight.

I don't know if their albums were released in a different order in the US, but Script was recorded in 1983 (two years before 'What does anything mean') and the bit about the album being recorded for 'five quid' was a quote from a radio interview with them, they didn't seem to happy with the production on that album.

I'd be interested to know how people got to hear about The Chameleons in the US, was it through radio play or seeing them tour or just hearing the records what?

• Members

I don't know if their albums were released in a different order in the US, but Script was recorded in 1983 (two years before 'What does anything mean') and the bit about the album being recorded for 'five quid' was a quote from a radio interview with them, they didn't seem to happy with the production on that album.

I'd be interested to know how people got to hear about The Chameleons in the US, was it through radio play or seeing them tour or just hearing the records what?

i know that when interpol first started getting press they were name dropping chameleons in interviews. i think that might be how the guy that turned me on to them heard them and i'm sure plenty of other people like me that were not around when they were active.

Archived