I have not found 1 decent Distortion Pedal for metal

rcervera

• Members

I'm following here too because I'm in search of the same thing.

Laney LC15r here.

I've found every sound I want out of it except that huge metal distortion. So far I've been tweaking my TRI-AC and Silver Dragon and gotten close, but not quite there. The TRI-AC on Cali channel sounds too muffled (the tweed channel's worth keeping it for though) and the Dragon's 2nd channel is just too fizzy and noisy.

The closest I've gotten is cranking the Bad Monkey and amp gains with an almost-scooped EQ but it's just not quite heavy enough.

Pedals I've considered that I'd like to hear about:
- Krank
- Warp (most I've heard about it was horrendous-y'all disagree?)
- Mesa V-Twin; worth the $$$?; actually sound like a recto?
- Black13/"The Weapon"; I don't usually go in for sig gear but if they do a reasonable facsimile of their users' sounds, why not?

It's infurating to have this great amp and to be able to get great sounds from it for everything from folk to jazz to blues to classic rock to - I guess "hard rock" - but to be missing that heavy, chunky grind.

Thousands of dollars in "brewtal" amps is out of the question for this livingroom hobbyist ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Jon Hiller

The best two I have heard have been the Metal Planet and the Warp. They don't have the fizzy overcompressed top end that most other super high-gain pedals have. Both of them are less expensive than most others listed here, too.

Do either of these work well through

a) a tube amp

b) a tube amp with gain

I know a lot of "metal" pedals need go through a clean channel and my Laney's a one-channel deal.

• Members

start iwth a MT-2 and mod the {censored} out of it. Thats what im doing, do the smooth mod, the diode mods (im doing those next)

Theres also the Boss Gl100 rackmount distortion preamp, very nice sounds here, but you better run it into a tube amp

if your picky like me and you cant stand an out of the box tone, start reading up at the DIY stompbox forums.

• Members
Originally posted by rcervera

Last ones I tried were the Subdecay Blackstar Distortion and Kaden Brown Creeper. Crap
:(

Im using Ibanez RG's into a Laney LC-30II which takes pedals very well.

Any suggestions?

it's a sign from god. he is saying stop playing that and learn some blues and jazz :D

• Members
Originally posted by Kace

I'm following here too because I'm in search of the same thing.

Laney LC15r here.

I've found every sound I want out of it
except
that huge metal distortion. So far I've been tweaking my TRI-AC and Silver Dragon and gotten close, but not quite there. The TRI-AC on Cali channel sounds too muffled (the tweed channel's worth keeping it for though) and the Dragon's 2nd channel is just too fizzy and noisy.

The closest I've gotten is cranking the Bad Monkey and amp gains with an almost-scooped EQ but it's just not quite heavy enough.

Pedals I've considered that I'd like to hear about:

- Krank

- Warp (most I've heard about it was horrendous-y'all disagree?)

- Mesa V-Twin; worth the $$$?; actually
sound
like a recto?

- Black13/"The Weapon"; I don't usually go in for sig gear but if they do a reasonable facsimile of their users' sounds, why not?

It's infurating to have this great amp and to be able to get great sounds from it for everything from folk to jazz to blues to classic rock to - I guess "hard rock" - but to be missing that heavy, chunky grind.

Thousands of dollars in "brewtal" amps is out of the question for this livingroom hobbyist
;)

You will never get that "brewtal" sound out of your Laney

• Members
Originally posted by Kace

Do either of these work well through

a) a tube amp

b) a tube amp with gain

I know a lot of "metal" pedals need go through a clean channel and my Laney's a one-channel deal.

The Warp will turn your sound into mud if your amp is already crunching!

• Members
Originally posted by YourHerodDGC

40914.jpg

Seriously, if i was in a metal band, i wouldn't think twice about using this pedal. Heavy metal distortion that doesn't sound processed or digital.

+1

Metal Muff needs more love. It's organic, and you can mold it to either do that bassy thing, or the fizzy thing, or anywhere inbetween. But most importantly it doesn't sound processed. The bass control isn't perfect, it could be tighter, but I don't think anyone is really going to notice. It's the best you'll get in a pedal.

I think part of why people here are NEVER happy with metal pedals is because they just don't listen to the music. Most metal tones are likely to make us here cringe. John 5's first solo album, for example, mostly used a damned Magicstomp for his distortions. But even if you listen to the latest Rob Zombie album, all of his tones through a traditional amp are kind've buzzy and coughy.

Another decent example is Coheed and Cambria. Not metal, but they use high gain amps. They seem to get bashed on a LOT for having bad tone, the rhythm is definitely on the buzzy side, but I think that's just the nature of that "sound".

Even listening to Mastodon, a band that I guess would have "the" metal tone, I can hear simularities in the metal muff. No, it doesn't REPLACE a bogner or have the same dynamics, but what pedal DOES when compared to a tube amp?

Anyways, I'd use a Zombie before a Metal Planet as far as Rocktron goes, if you're looking into that direction.

• Members

My list of metal pedals includes:
Zoom Tri-Metal
Zoom Hyperlead
AMT Fatal Tube
AMT Du Hast
Rocktron Rampage
DOD Grunge
DOD Death Metal
Boss MD2
M.I. Audio Tube Zone
Subdecay Blackstar
Arion Metal Master
EHX Metal Muff
H&K Warp Factor
Rocktron Metal Planet

Only 3 I still have are the Tube Zone, H&K & Metal Planet, the last being on the board right now. Haven't found another that does "metal" as well, although I did use the Rampage for over 3 years as my metal sound. The Planet is a more refined Rampage. The H&K is very good but more "nu-metal" sounding. The AMTs are also good pedals but got lost in the band mix live. I couldn't sell the Metal Muff fast enough, sounded like processed crap thru my rig. Very shrill "top boost".
This is with an LP into a JCM900 combo.
I'd say try the Rocktron Metal Planet, like I said, it's survived where all the others I've had couldn't.
Just look at my list, that's some serious $ I've spent trying to find "that" sound, just want to give you a heads up.

• Members

The MXR Dimebag distortion is the one if you're after a tight scooped HIGH gain sound. I have one that I bought cheap for when I depped in a metal band last year, used it on the clean channel on my dsl100 and it was pure pantera.

Another good choice is to buy a 5150 combo, lovely amp :D

• Members
Originally posted by rcervera

Last ones I tried were the Subdecay Blackstar Distortion and Kaden Brown Creeper. Crap
:(

Im using Ibanez RG's into a Laney LC-30II which takes pedals very well.

Any suggestions?

Whether you like the blackstar is up to you, but I believe the LC30 is loosely based on a Vox AC type design. It is voiced in such a non metal way, i dont think you will ever get metal tone out of it. Most metal amps are class AB, and not so mid heavy.

• Members
Originally posted by gr8fuldodd

what kind of metal are we talking about here?

my first reaction was to say, "why is it so hard to find a metal tone", but then I thought about it and... it's a particular metal tone you're looking for

which was what?

I can't speak for the OP, and your question made me sit here and think about it for a bit. I guess I just figured I'd know it when I heard it. The closest I can come to an example I guess would be Faith No More - Epic/Angeldust.

Same basic sound he had on the Epic & Angeldust albums though for reference. Those palm mutes crush :evil:

Archived